Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMP 1911 Information

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

CMP 1911 Information

CMP 1911 Information

To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
    All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
    Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
    The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
    Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
    No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
    CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
    Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
    Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
    Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
    The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
    Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
    When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
    As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of questions:

1. Is a concealed carry permit qualify for the "proof of marksmanship" requirement?

2. What is a "new form 2a with notary"?

I want to make sure the ducks are in a row--i want one of these badly!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I have a couple of questions:

1. Is a concealed carry permit qualify for the "proof of marksmanship" requirement?

2. What is a "new form 2a with notary"?

I want to make sure the ducks are in a row--i want one of these badly!
    Don't know the answer to 1

FORM 2AND MORE

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...rmfillable.pdf

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

it seems to me there is a lot of hoops to jump through
    Then there is the 2 yes 2 4473

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    --just checked the CMP website

A concealed carry permit does count for "marksmanship". That surprised me!

I watched my wife take the " field portion" of the NRA sanctioned course with 12 other people. My wife and two other folks were the only 3 people to hit a 8 1\2 by 11 inch sheet of paper at 7 yards. The instructor had to then explain how to reload 3 other folks pistols before they could try the "stage" again. Everyone got their ccw permit that day!

Please understand that I think everyone in the US should be able to concealmor open carry freely. However, it does make me scared that there are people walking among us that cannot reload their own weapons. I believe in responcible gun ownership.

I digress-----Bring on the GI issues Colts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

I'm not overly interested in the guns and especially not at the prices I have heard they are planning on getting for them.
    but I am glad to see them come home and be released to the public.
    50-K colts on the market should drive the price down on the gun show tables anyway.

If you have CCP, then the first NICS check is irrelevant, you aren't waiting there, they'll do it when they process paperwork. If you have issues such as name same or prior hold, good luck!
    As far as the second one, If the FFL in your local is legally able to use your CCP in place of NICS, then they will be able to do that.
    CMP has no control over the second permit at your local FFL. And that FFL would have to abide by State law. CMP is just stating the obvious. But yes it seems a LOT of paperwork to buy an expensive (I'm guessing they won't sell for $250 but probably closer to $1000, which I wouldn't pay for a worn out, mixed parts, and probably rebarreled 1911)

And Birch, I agree, I tried avoiding watching my group shoot too! I was second group of 7 to shoot and only 1 had real issues. I didn't miss the paper

Boolit Master

I was thinking the same thing. With all the hype about these guns EVERYONE wants one. I fully expect the asking prices to be far beyond what I would be willing to pay. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one, but I have absolutely no expectation of being able to afford one.

Boolit Master
    The form 4473 in person will be a hassle.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Grand Master

"In Person" then transferred to your FFL and do another one? Why this foolishness with new 1911's running under $500
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If you will re-read the paragraph stating a 4473 filled out in person occurs with your local FFL. They want afilled out 4473 with the firearm info blank submitted to the CMP with all of the other paper work.

It appears that the CMP has libtard juice in their watercooler. Since they are only going to be selling the lowest end to We The People, they can keep their rusty junk as far as I'm concerned. The ones I was issued in the service were good shooters but an example out of the trash barrel isn't worth an extra cent above a civilian example in the same condition to me and I can use my 03 to buy one of those anywhere in the country.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master

It will be interesting to see what they come up with, as far as condition and price. My take on the extra BGC is they use their existing system to sell to those who qualify, then they want to cover themselves (since it's a handgun) by taking the extra step of going through an 01 FFL. I wonder if this step is a Congress/legal thing or a CMP trying to play it safe thing. If I really wanted one it wouldn't bother me that much; it's just a little more hassle and expense.

The reason I figure they won't be a good value is because of the hype. Garands used to be a great value from the CMP but in later years demand has really gone up and they've adjusted their prices accordingly. They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they sold them too cheap. The hype over 1911s from the CMP has been building up for years now, and everyone wants one. Nope, I wouldn't be expecting a good value at all.

Boolit Master

As posted above, this may drive 1911 prices down at shows. As for jumping through all the hoops, naw, already have a 1911 and A1, in fact gave them to my Son for he and Grandson to enjoy. Great for those that need one.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

With prices going to be $1k plus from what I have heard pass. I can get 2-3 low end 1911's for that price, Rock Island for example and I have fired 2 of them. Operated perfectly and were accurate.

Boolit Master

I was curious so I looked up some info on the CMP forum. From what I can deduce, it looks like the requirement for them to ship only to 01 FFLs for transfer was written into the language of the authorization for the CMP to sell them.

It looks like there's all kinds of oversight and reporting required as well, far beyond what was ever required for rifles. I even found reference to a requirement for the Secretary of the Army to annually report how many are sold and whether any transferred guns were subsequently involved in crimes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    If you will re-read the paragraph stating a 4473 filled out in person occurs with your local FFL. They want afilled out 4473 with the firearm info blank submitted to the CMP with all of the other paper work.
    A HA! Still sounds odd. You fill out 4473 for a firearm you don't have and the FFL sends it to someone else who then sends it back to the FFL? How does the FFL do a background check on a firearm they don't have and if you are sending a 4473 through the mail, it gets stolen and used to buy another firearm who is involved in a crime?

What a strange system
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    A HA! Still sounds odd. You fill out 4473 for a firearm you don't have and the FFL sends it to someone else who then sends it back to the FFL? How does the FFL do a background check on a firearm they don't have and if you are sending a 4473 through the mail, it gets stolen and used to buy another firearm who is involved in a crime?

What a strange system
    My thought exactly. What is the FFL going to charge for all this?

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    My thought exactly. What is the FFL going to charge for all this?
    Fortunately, there's a mess of local gun shops trying to out-do each other around my area. 1st time I had a gun shipped in a decade ago, I didn't shop around and my local police supply shop hit me something like $30. Now there's a shop that'll do it for $10.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Reads to me like the 4473 is only in person at the FFL, just like buying new. The other paperwork is much same CMP stuff as buying a Garand. I'll get one, and since there are those who don't want one , the wife will be in the drawing too ! Need 13 to go with the Garands in the safes - they can talk history with each other. As well as send a few rounds downrange on occasion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast