Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a new use for a PID

Your imagination is the only limit to the possibility of PID controllers and thier uses.
    I suppose I could use them as bookends or paperweights but as far as having them functioning as intended, that requires electricity.

The output of the PID would have to control something that converted the electronic signal to something else. Like the mechanical movement of the damper or rotation of the auger, I posted in #6. If there is no power to the PID, the devices cannot function as intended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Using a solid state relay the amperage of the PID is not relevant. The amperage of the relay is. I believe the SSR (Solid state relay) can handle 40 amps. They run about $3.50 shipped from china.
    The PID controlls the solid state relay. The relay does need to be on a heat sink if the amperage is high
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE...StoreLevelAB=1
    I suggest Grainger...........

Boolit Master
    In my many years dealing with Grainger one thing is a given; You will definitely pay for what you get. The majority of electronics are being made in China even if they carry an old well known USA brand on the box. Seeing most here are looking for ways to project on the cheap the best way to get a PID package is off Amazon.

An Inkbird PID, thermocouple, 40 amp relay and heatsink can be had for under $40. The single relay will handle two 220V elements. If you are going to run two 220V elements as I did on my 30" PC oven conversion then you will also need a fan to keep the heatsink/relay cool. With fan cooling on a heatsink my relay operates under 90 degrees.

A PID controls the temperature within a very narrow range by the thermocouple sensing minor fluctuations in temperature. The PID then processes this information and turns the power on or off quickly and for short durations to maintain temperature.

If you want a timer to turn the PID off at the end of a cooking cycle as I did on my oven, that is another separate item you will need.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 12-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Found a new use for a PID

Quote Originally Posted by Discus420 View Post
    I suggest Grainger...........
    Grainger has a large catalog and that's about the only good thing I have to say about them. They're ridiculously expensive. If you need it and they're the only one that has it then it's worth the cost. Otherwise there are many many better options.

In my many years dealing with Grainger one thing is a given; You will definitely pay for what you get.
    https://www.zoro.com/solid-state-relays/c/4848/ is Granger online, even had delivery by Granger trucks and packaging with orders from Zoro. Not only are the prices lower, the are always sending out coupons and codes for even better deals.

That said https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...d_State_Relays is a better place to buy solid state relays for a low price.

Boolit Master
    Jmorris.Great post for an incubator but how do you know which thermometer is correct?

I averaged them, 19 out of 20 eggs hatching told me that was the correct thing to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12