Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is the bare minimum for reloading

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear foot bowhunter View Post
    hi guys and gals
    Im not sure if this is the right section
    i have a number of questions but first of what is the bear minimum i need for reloading. i want to make my shooting a bit more economical and also subsonic loads . i dont like the idea of the classic leelaoder so scratch that . i was thinking a
    lee hand loader press
    dies
    lee scoops
    electronic scales potentially hornady
    powder trickler
    and then what i need to cast a few different loads
    moulds
    will a bench top hotplate melt led in a small cast iron pot ?
    are weal weights hard enough alone to load subsonic without gas-checks

which brings me to my next question . i have a remington 700 sps tactical in 308 the black vision with what i believe is a 1/12 twist whats the heaviest and lightest subsonic loads i can work up for this iv heard some say anything over 170 is to heavy for the 1/12 and others say it dose not matter whats right

is there any 100gr moulds for the 308 and will trailboss be adequate to keep it around 1000-1200fps

Iv got so meany questions but ill start with these
    any help would be amazing thanks in advance

Drew
    Your post is strange. You ask for the bare minimum and then reject the bare minimum.
    Some of the stuff you list is not required.
    You need to understand that some knowledge and experience is required to operate with the bare minimum of equipment and you are not there yet.

Very experienced benchrest shooters can load with nothing more than 2 Wilson type hand dies, a hand primer, a dipper and a plastic hammer.
    Last edited by EDG; 12-06-2017 at 02:00 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You will definitely need Shell Holder(s) to match your die set(s) (I put mine in with the die set any more, keeps me from having to change lock ring settings.)

White gas stove or propane definitely both work as heat sources, both output lots more heat than electric hot plates though those will work (later on you can upgrade to an electric caster as PID is darn NICE! and you can still use the older setup for initial melting COWWs etc. to make ingots of known alloys.)

Safety glasses and an apron aren't too bad an idea when casting.

I'd add a case or pouch for tools, use it to have a place for wrenches to tighten dies / screwdriver for setting seating plug / Allen wrench to suit your sizing dies' lock ring set screws, calipers, pen & sharpie for marking things, deburring tool(s), labels to mark your boxes of reloads, also you'll want a log book to record what you did / things you want to check. A cheap 4-banger calculator can be handy for figuring out weights i.e. "at 23.5 grains/load how many loads do I get out of a kilo of this powder?"

Being in Oz does make it difficult, Bear foot. Check the various on-line firearm sales sites, they occasionally have reloading gear and I've picked up a couple of things from the Australianhunting.net forum (they have a classified section). Most of my gear I've bought from Titan Reloading (sponsor here) in the US as it's not only cheaper than here, even with shipping, but they usually have everything in stock (I couldn't find anyone here who had everything I wanted for my last order).

Boolit Master
    It was difficult here many years ago,because of the very high cost of imported stuff.Lee has changed all that,and so has the net.Its now very easy to find anything you want at reasonable ,not cheap like the US,but reasonable prices.Ive also bought from Titan,and Brownells,but high post cost makes the difference small,but the item comes to your door.Which is worth $10 at least........but 50 years ago I could fire a Boer mauser or a 303 in the back yard ,no problems.........and in answer to the question about casting,a 1000w heating coil will melt all the lead you could want,but you need to make a steel pot with a 1/2"thick wide flat base to efficiently transfer the heat,and I use a big coffee tin as a jacket to keep wind off the steel pot.

Right now I believe you need information. The CB forum, The High Road forum and Reloading 101 Facebook page are the best for ongoing discussions and information. Lymans 48th Handloading Book, Lee Reloading and Fryxells ""Ingot to Target" are available as PDF's on the internet. ( here is a short list https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-books.773587/ Don't think you have to rush into decisions. With your new information, get out, go see the equipment, talk , talk, talk to others about where and how and what. Find a mentor, a mentor will catapult you at rocket speed once you know the basics and can think in reloading terms. Good shooting wishes to you, Most of all try new things, ask TONS of questions and have fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of your questions will be answered after reading a reloading manual. This is where all the basic information comes from. No need to ask basic questions on an Internet forum. This just shows that you haven't done any research. You should know what equipment you need after reading the manual. If you don't then I'd suggest just buying ammo. This sounds harsh but certain people just aren't meant to reload. In reality a lot of people should never touch a tool in general.

Boolit Master
    For additional cast bullet info try the Los Angeles Silhouette Club site.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    When you think about it,dragon is right.......I started reloading and casting because I had a burning desire to do it,not so s I could save a coupla bucks.......actually,I didnt have a coupla bucks....I couldnt ask the old man, cause his answer to every thing was ... go chop some fire wood,weed the beans,cut some tomato stakes......So I worked out everything for myself..............Although there was plenty of surplus ,used to buy powder in brown paper bags,and Jack Stacey smoked all the time he was weighing it out.Primers were in a folded card envelope or loose in a matchbox.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

I have to agree, start with a really good cast bullet manual if you are going to use cast.

I have both the Lyman #3 and #4 cast manuals and use them both a lot.

Tools you can be pretty flexible and start small.

But you do need a few basics, a scale you can trust to check loads.
    I have been using a Lee hand press for the last 4 years and love it. Have done everything from little 7.62x25 on it up through 7.62x54r for the Mosin and .444marlin and loads of stuff in the middle.

You will want some imperial sizing wax for full length sizing of cases with a hand press.

You want decent dies, mine are all Lee, you can spend more if you like.

I have an old RCBS powder measure, some Lee sizing kits, a couple of older Lee presses, one is mounted upside down and is only used for sizing and crimping gas checks.

I just upgraded from a small Lee Dipper pot to the Magnum melter dipper pot that holds 20lbs.
    Have not used it yet. I would recomend a hot plate for mold warming, preheating ingots.

But the biggest things you need are solid data that you can trust. IE manual.
    And a lot of knowledge that you can find here if you just get your nose to the grindstone and start reading. With that and practice comes skills.

You will get stuck a time or 4, we'll be here. Just remember check the stickies first.
    And if posting about a problem you can not give us too much information about the specifics.

Which gun, which caliber, which bullet, which powder, which primer, what load.

Don't make us assume.

Boolit Master
    There is an echo on " Get an up to date Reloading Manual".
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

You will need a Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press, it will last you the rest of your life. It is portable and will load any Brass Cartridge.

If you buy Lee Dies they usually come with the correct shell holder for that cartridge.

A Lee Ram Prime.

A small Digital Scale.

Components.

You can start there, but you will add tools as you progress.

The reason why I said the BPM Press is because it is the best one available and it can clamp to a table as opposed to the Lee Hand press which can't stand up by itself. I also make the thing so I am prejudiced.

In lue of buying one of my tools, I'd recommend that you start with a Lee Classic Loader Kit and learn how to reload before you spend a bunch of money on stuff you don't need and probably won't use or even like. That's what I and many of us here started with many years ago. Lee Loaders have been around for a long time and that's because the work really well. I got my first one in 1971, and they were old then!

Randy

Available at www.buchananprecisionmachine.com after the fires go away!
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-09-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    LOL...

AND... an Up to date reloading manual...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

just to add my 2 cents...
    1) A powder trickler is unnecessary. I have reloaded rifle, pistol, and shotgun for 50+ years and have never owned one.
    2) A case trimmer is unnecessary if you are just loading for 1 or 2 rifle calibers. A trim die works just as well and is much less costly.
    3) As others have already stated, get at least one reloading manual and read the reloading basics section until you really understand it.
    4) Learn reloading first and then consider casting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

Boolit Mold
    thanks guys I am in the posses of finding a reloading manual and keeping my eye on the used market . been reading on here and other forums and watching all the you-tube videos i can fined . my budget isn't big a lee kit would probably max me out ATM. shooting economically is just part of the reason i want to start reloading i also want to tailor loads to different applications and get the most out of my rifle and any others i might get in the feature. also I am extremely interested in the science behind shooting thanks again for all your inputs its been helpful

SO, while your reading, make some more posts on here when you come to something that stumps you...we can talk a bit more..mate.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

It's been mentioned numerous times that reloading for economy and to save money is one of those "urban myths".. What it will do, however, is let you experiment and tailor loads to suit your needs. If you're only shooting rifle then fortunately you don't need anything fancy, just a basic single stage press, dies and powder measuring/weighing should get you started.

Boolit Master

electric hot plates will not melt lead, but a full on electric kitchen cook top will you might find one on the side of the road charcoal wont melt lead either unless you blast air in or toss in a stick every now and then
    good luck on your journey

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    It's been mentioned numerous times that reloading for economy and to save money is one of those "urban myths".. What it will do, however, is let you experiment and tailor loads to suit your needs. If you're only shooting rifle then fortunately you don't need anything fancy, just a basic single stage press, dies and powder measuring/weighing should get you started.
    This for sure! The ONLY reason I got into this is because I was shooting a 10mm in the mid ‘90’s, right when 10mm got side swiped by 40 S&W and it was $1 every shot. It was hard to not make plinking ammo cheaper than that!
    Now I reload to justify all the money I have wrapped up in “tools”.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

The bare minimum is a Lee Loader. The bare minimum to tailor loads is a Lee Loader, a good manual, and a good mechanical scale. Since you are planning multiple calibers, then the bare minimum is a used press, a good manual, a good mechanical scale, and dies as you need them in the (sic)feature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12