MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Pedersoli Sharps barrel material hardness ?

Boolit Buddy

Pedersoli Sharps barrel material hardness ?

Hello gents,
    I have the MVA B5 series scope on order. I have the means (Trak K3 knee mill) to drill and tap my barrel for the base blocks that use a #6-48 screw. My question is will I need solid carbide tooling to drill and tap the barrel ? How hard are the Pedersoli barrels ? Don't really want to do the old skool "file hardness test" on my beautiful Sharps barrel !

Boolit Master
    There is no barrel so hard that HSS drills and taps wont work.But,do be sure to use short/stub drills in a collet to ensure hole location and size.If possible also use a drilling jig ,and taps held in a collet too.You ll need to sacrifice a couple of taps to get the threads bottomed for max hold.And make sure you dont ....drill.....clear thru.

Boolit Grand Master

Barrels drill and tap pretty well normally. Get your numbers from one zero for ring spacing . This makes it easier to run it. IE 0.000, 0.860, 17.000, and 17.860 these may not be the exact umbers just to give an idea. By working like this you arnt stacking tolerances up. Another plus is with this you can center drill all 4 holes, then drill them for tap drill to depth. and tap to start square with the tap in the spindle. outside dia - bore dia /2 gives wall thickness and a little less than half should be good. I normally grind a tap flat on the end and use to remove the last little bit the bottom tap leaves. Becarefull working with a starting tap as the point and lead may be slightly longer than hole depth is. Break chips often when tapping here and clear hole often chip build up bind breaks a lot of taps. If you tap in the mill ( even by hand) and something happens you are set up and have the numbers to work to fix it easier.

Boolit Grand Master

Soft and easy to do I just did one the other day. I always start with spotting drills and then use my mill and a tap guide. No problems and an easy job.

I have that B5 (centerless 6 mil dot) on a Pedersoli Sharps. I love it. I paid (a bunch) for a private gun manufacturer to drill and tap my barrel. It was expensive, but perfect. For that much money tied up in a gun, I didn't want it to wrong. That scope is really unbelievable for something with such a small tube. I bought their no. 2 mounts and love them too. It always returns to zero no matter how many minutes I take it away from zero. I bought it to hunt with and have been very impressed. Make sure you order the leather caps for the B5, they are kind of hard to get once they run out.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Road Clam - here's what you want to know:
    Pedersoli barrels are machined from a chrome moly alloy having the metalurgical composition called 30Cr Mo4 Uni 7845 which is a patented alloy variation developed by Mauser in the 1930s
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=john.k;4221623]There is no barrel so hard that HSS drills and taps wont work

Ever try that on a mini 14 barrel?

Boolit Master
    Nope......and never will....now.

Boolit Master
    [

How do you think they drilled, reamed and rifled the barrels?

QUOTE=Parson;4222620]
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    There is no barrel so hard that HSS drills and taps wont work

Ever try that on a mini 14 barrel?
    EDG