Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger no longer makes Lipsey .44 spec GP100

Ruger no longer makes Lipsey .44 spec GP100

I had a conversation today with a Customer Service representative @ Ruger about returning my GP100 Lipsey .44 spec. (for the 3rd time) & in the course of that conversation was told that the gun is no longer in production. On the 2nd. return they had replaced the frame (long story) and the gun had been built just for me.

It's a pity because the concept is good. I prefer a blued gun over SS & the 5" bbl. made for a very pleasant gun to shoot.

I assume they'll continue with the 3" SS model (don't now for sure because I didn't ask).

If anyone ever thought about getting one now is the time.......if you can find one.

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 12-04-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good info to know. Why did you have to return it?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I really really wanted one when they first came out, then I saw all the problems being reported and didn't need that headache. It's just sad what Ruger is now, compared to what it once was. Even my long-awaited $900 Lipsey's .480 SBH had to go back for a swap because the first one they sent looked like I had built it using a hand grinder and a large hammer.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I really really wanted one when they first came out, then I saw all the problems being reported and didn't need that headache. It's just sad what Ruger is now, compared to what it once was. Even my long-awaited $900 Lipsey's .480 SBH had to go back for a swap because the first one they sent looked like I had built it using a hand grinder and a large hammer.
    Love my 480 SBH.

Unfortunately Ruger has fallen to the bean counters and rushing getting out all they can over the last few years and have let their QC slack, as have most firearms manufacturers.

Clearly I must be clueless as far as the issues they're having. The 44 spec seems to be fairly straight forward in design.

Boolit Grand Master

I love my current one (.480), after my local dealer flat out embarrassed his Lipsey's rep that they would send out something like that without apparently even opening the box. The second one was flawless.

I guess I would have to visit a shop and actually handle one of the 44sp GP's to have any confidence in one now.
    I do love the GP's though. I have an original SS GP100 .357 that I bought in 1985 that is still running like it was new.

Boolit Master

s ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Love my 480 SBH.

Unfortunately Ruger has fallen to the bean counters and rushing getting out all they can over the last few years and have let their QC slack, as have most firearms manufacturers.
    Actually the bean counters are spot on

Clearly I must be clueless as far as the issues they're having. The 44 spec seems to be fairly straight forward in design.
    The real issue with rugers are the people that own them.

They consider rugers a "bargain" compared to other mfg's so they buy them and do a bunch of work on them. Then they talk about what they have done to them & how easy it was along with how much better the firearm is now. These things don't go unnoticed by ruger, they actually count on it. It's hard not to find a ruger thread without someone talking about their trigger job they did on their ruger/rugers. Add to that the replacing of grips/sights/internal parts along with cylinder work and using some sort of grit in the bbl.

I'm not bashing rugers, used to be a huge ruger fan. I quit buying them years ago because I refuse to have to work on a new firearm to make it right. That's goes for any mfg, not just ruger!!! If people would send their rugers back instead of fixing them, ruger would quit putting junk out.

Cheap doesn't = accepting 2nd class workmanship & expecting to have to work on the firearm to tweak it.

Bought a cheap taurus pt111 g2 for a beater/truck/shed gun. ($200) It has a more then acceptable trigger and has ran 5,000+ rounds in it without a single ftf/fte/misfire. If not it would have been sent back.
    Bought a cheap savage axis, the $300 combo in 223 with the bull bbl, acru-trigger, plastic stock, scope & a $50 rebate. Sold the scope for $50 and ended up with $218 in the rifle ($18 tax). Did nothing to the cheap plastic stock, never even touched/adjusted the trigger, left it set to whatever it was when it left the factory. Used home swaged bullets made from 22lr cases, free range lead for cores, free mixed range brass that was sorted into 2 plies. Commercial in 1 pile & nato in the other pile. That rifle easily shot moa with home made bullets, mixed range brass and nothing done to the rifle. If that rifle wouldn't of shot moa it would of went back.

Shame on the people that buy rugers and then fix themselves. They have ruined it for everyone else!!! Ruger see's this and does just what you say, count beans/gamble. $xxx,xxx,xxx.00 per year in cutting corners/savings vs $xxx.xxx.00 coming back because some things the ruger owners just can't fix.

Not bashing ruger, bashing the people people that got ruger to this level. Namely the people that do everything they can themselves to them and then tell others how to do the same thing.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got plenty of Rugers. Don't recall sending a single one back or having to work on any. Of course I haven't bought any new ones lately. I have had to send a smith back for warranty work for light primer strikes. It has been flawless since.

Wait. I did send a Mark IV back so I guess the above only applies to centerfire arms.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Good info to know. Why did you have to return it?
    1st. time: needed polish/re-blue + fitting of hammer pivot pin (too tight)
    2nd. time: needed new frame (they reamed hammer pivot pin too large & pin wouldn't stay in)
    3rd. time (present): bbl. bore @ bbl./frame junction has marks on all 6 lands & 1 groove (?).

What started out as a simple fix turned into a nightmare...........it comes back with worse issues than when sent. In hindsight: on the 1st. return I should have requested polish/re-blue only & fitted the L. end of the hammer pivot pin myself (I keep kicking myself for not doing so).

The Customer Service people are nice, but something is getting lost between the CS & the techs.

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 12-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post

They consider rugers a "bargain" compared to other mfg's so they buy them and do a bunch of work on them. Then they talk about what they have done to them & how easy it was along with how much better the firearm is now. These things don't go unnoticed by ruger, they actually count on it. It's hard not to find a ruger thread without someone talking about their trigger job they did on their ruger/rugers. Add to that the replacing of grips/sights/internal parts along with cylinder work and using some sort of grit in the bbl.

I'm not bashing rugers, used to be a huge ruger fan. I quit buying them years ago because I refuse to have to work on a new firearm to make it right. That's goes for any mfg, not just ruger!!! If people would send their rugers back instead of fixing them, ruger would quit putting junk out.

Cheap doesn't = accepting 2nd class workmanship & expecting to have to work on the firearm to tweak it.

Bought a cheap taurus pt111 g2 for a beater/truck/shed gun. ($200) It has a more then acceptable trigger and has ran 5,000+ rounds in it without a single ftf/fte/misfire. If not it would have been sent back.
    Bought a cheap savage axis, the $300 combo in 223 with the bull bbl, acru-trigger, plastic stock, scope & a $50 rebate. Sold the scope for $50 and ended up with $218 in the rifle ($18 tax). Did nothing to the cheap plastic stock, never even touched/adjusted the trigger, left it set to whatever it was when it left the factory. Used home swaged bullets made from 22lr cases, free range lead for cores, free mixed range brass that was sorted into 2 plies. Commercial in 1 pile & nato in the other pile. That rifle easily shot moa with home made bullets, mixed range brass and nothing done to the rifle. If that rifle wouldn't of shot moa it would of went back.

Shame on the people that buy rugers and then fix themselves. They have ruined it for everyone else!!! Ruger see's this and does just what you say, count beans/gamble. $xxx,xxx,xxx.00 per year in cutting corners/savings vs $xxx.xxx.00 coming back because some things the ruger owners just can't fix.

Not bashing ruger, bashing the people people that got ruger to this level. Namely the people that do everything they can themselves to them and then tell others how to do the same thing.
    You are entitled to your opinion..................and I respect your opinion.

It so happens that I do a trigger/action job on all of my S&W revolvers + my 2 sons S&W revolvers & on those of close friends...........nothing major, but all can be improved.

Henry

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think Ruger has too many irons in the fire, and as a result the company has spread themselves too thin. Right now, they have like eight different revolver product lines going? SP-101, GP-100, LCR, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Single Six, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk are what I can think of. And they make distributor specials and limited run calibers in each one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Plain and simple if you want to pay DOUBLE for the Ruger, FOLLOW FORREST'S ADVICE!! FORCE RUGER TO MAKE STUFF 'RIGHT!" Yeah buddy! That'll REALLY set the bean counters off!

Ruger is well known for being America's best "kit gun" but let me tell you how EASY AND AFFORDABLE it is to "tune" these revolvers to OUR liking simply because Ruger has not removed TOO MUCH metal from the hammer hooks and the cylinder throats that we can't "finish" them more consistently than the factory can afford to finish them, and if the factory had to throat cylinders to customer's requests, you could add another $275 - $300 to the cost of the gun.

Ya right. Bash the people that make Rugers AFFORDABLE.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    very strange I have 25 ruger hand guns. shoot them all never worked on any of them. some were used some were new. never a problem. last one I bought was a single six in .32 mag. took it out shot it and it worked like a dream and shot great.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    very strange I have 25 ruger hand guns. shoot them all never worked on any of them. some were used some were new. never a problem. last one I bought was a single six in .32 mag. took it out shot it and it worked like a dream and shot great.
    Curious if any were built in the last 5 years?
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Bill is gone, Ruger sucks. Look at the flagship No.1 if you need convincing.

They no longer look like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger no 1 30-06.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	208925

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've had people tell me that when C.E. Harris from NRA tech staff was hired by WBR, Sr. to take over QA for their government contracts that quality was superb. He left the company in 1988 and went to work for the gov't. The QA manual and procedures implemented in the 1980s hung on for some time, but I think by the time the inspectors and customer service staff trained in that era retired, after about 2005? some things may have started to slide. I don't have any Rugers after 2005, so can't speak of current production from personal experience. Earlier stuff was all good.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had more trouble with their 45 colts than anything
    never could get one to shoot worth a hoot
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Beagle I will let you know tomorrow night ,I'm picking up A GP100 44spl. 3"bbl. SS ,I ordered from GUN PRIME

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    I'm picking up A GP100 44spl. 3"bbl. SS ,I ordered from GUN PRIME
    Good luck with it!!! I hope it looks like a new Ruger should look like.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    Beagle I will let you know tomorrow night ,I'm picking up A GP100 44spl. 3"bbl. SS ,I ordered from GUN PRIME

I'd love to know how you like it as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast