WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: CMP 1911's coming soon?

Super Moderator

CMP 1911's coming soon?

Got this tonight:

To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
    All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
    Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
    The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
    Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
    No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
    CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
    Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
    Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
    Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
    The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
    Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
    When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
    As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program
    www.thecmp.org

Another statement from the CMP https://www.thegunwriter.com/23661/c...-surplus-1911/

Apparently if you pay less than $800 for a pistol you may be a criminal. Put me in the camp of getting rid of the CMP monopoly.

Boolit Master

with rare exception i highly doubt most of those pistols will be worth close to the 800-1000 dollar asking price.

Boolit Master

I predict there will be a lot of hurt feelings over this policy, and it won't last too long.

Info I got over the summer regarding 1911 sales

CMP M1911A1 Status

Mr. Mark Johnson, the CMP Chief Operating Officer, gave the group of folks in the Range Officer Class some updates on the CMP’s M1911A1 Sales prospects. As those of you who have been following this know, it has been a real bureaucratic and political boondoggle and continues to be one.

But, the good news; the M1911A1’s are gathered up and packed in shipping containers, set aside awaiting the authorization to ship them to CMP. But, the picture gets more muddled from there.

The pistols need to be released by the Assistant Secretary of the Army (ASoA).

The previous authorizing legislation said that the ASoA “may” release them. The previous ASoA declined to do so for various internal and external reasons. This year’s enabling legislation says that the ASoA “will” release them, not a choice he needs to make. But – there is no ASoA; his appointment has been caught up in the decision of one political party to impede the functionality of the present administration in every way it can. Whoever is appointed is going to be buried and it is unlikely that these pistols are going to be one of his top priorities.

Then, there are all of the congressional roadblocks to the program.

Having an organization chartered by Congress (CMP) selling handguns to civilians gives the anti-gun people spasms. Whereas CMP can conduct an on-line background check and deliver an M1 rifle to your door; to sell M1911A1 pistols CMP had to register as an FFL holder – and M1911A1 sales and transfers will have to be done through an FFL holder. Reports continue to circulate that there will be sold on the Internet to anyone who signs up for them.

A further roadblock; one proposal is to only allow a small initial sale (maybe 5,000 pistols), then wait a year and see how many of these guns are traced through crime reports as having been used in crimes.

The people in Congress who have to act on these proposals do not know what an M1911A1 is; Mr. Johnson is making the rounds to the appropriate people telling the story “This is not a cheap pistol that Bubba is going to throw under the seat of his truck, it is a collector item that goes in a gun safe”.

Some other details:

CMP learned from M1 sales. There will be a one gun per year limit on sales. When they announce that the sales will start on x-date, they expect over 10K applications in the next mail delivery- seriously!

They are not going to be cheap, expect $800 and up depending on grade and manufacturer. The enabling legislation requires the CMP to sell these at “ … fair market value …”. Mr. Johnson made the comment “Let me know if you can find an original M1911A1 for under $500 anywhere and I’ll buy it”. Remington’s go for $800 -$900 +. A CMP 1911A1 may come in a collector case. The price will probably have an FFL transfer fee built into it – the buyer will not have to pay an additional transfer fee.

There may be a lot of pieces and parts that can be built up into CMP special grade pistols – to be seen. Look for an “as-issued M1911A1” match at the CMP National Pistol Matches.

He makes absolutely no prediction as to “when” – just that this probably will happen – whenever.

Boolit Master
    It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out, I’m happy to wait 4 or 5 years.

Boolit Master

For the prices mentioned, you can get a new factory 1911 with warranty from more than a dozen manufacturers in the United States and if you have a problem with it you can send it back for repair. Who's going to repair these used overpriced guns?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    For the prices mentioned, you can get a new factory 1911 with warranty from more than a dozen manufacturers in the United States and if you have a problem with it you can send it back for repair. Who's going to repair these used overpriced guns?
    Totally agree. But I got sideways on another thread here on the M-1 carbines that go for north of $1000. **** silly to pay high prices if you want to shoot and want a quality weapon, but it makes sense if someone wants a “collectors” gun that may increase in value.

It is hard to imagine these guns appreciating much, but it might happen. I certainly do not have the financial resources to take the chance.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Lots of cause to chuckle here:

*chuckling about CMP speculating on price when they don't even know what they'll be getting yet.

*chuckling about potential customers complaining about potential pricing when they don't even know what they'll be offered.

*chuckling about the contingent saying that "For that kind of money, I'll just buy a _______"; not being able to wrap their brain around a situation nearly identical to that of Italian Peacemaker clones versus real First and Second Gens - the former commemorates the event; the latter was THERE.

*chuckling about the contingent who still seems to think Russian SKS, SMLE, and Mauser price point is still south of a hundred bucks.

Maybe everyone should just take one long, slow breath. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Lots of cause to chuckle here:

*chuckling about CMP speculating on price when they don't even know what they'll be getting yet.

*chuckling about potential customers complaining about potential pricing when they don't even know what they'll be offered.

*chuckling about the contingent saying that "For that kind of money, I'll just buy a _______"; not being able to wrap their brain around a situation nearly identical to that of Italian Peacemaker clones versus real First and Second Gens - the former commemorates the event; the latter was THERE.

*chuckling about the contingent who still seems to think Russian SKS, SMLE, and Mauser price point is still south of a hundred bucks.

Maybe everyone should just take one long, slow breath. . .
    Now, you have me chuckling.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Super Moderator

The CMP has been getting more of a premium price for their stuff lately. That said, these pistols are a true piece of American history. One can only imagine who carried them, and what they went through. I’d love to get one, but we’ll see what the prices look like first, as well as what the grading system is. This will be interesting for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

For everyone that was in battle theres probably 10 that weren't. yes there might be some collector interest in them but the cmp will figure that into the price so your not going to make a killing off of them. Maybe if they sold for what there worth like 300-500 bucks id bite but I buy guns to shoot and sure wouldn't pay more then 500 for one. Keep in mind too that these guns were mass produced and a lot of them will be mixed matched parts guns that had many trips to the armorer for parts replacement. The ones that we used in the service even back in the early 70s were some pretty sloppy guns and most shot like **** and weren't all that reliable. Nope if there 800 bucks id hands down take a new Kimber or springfield any day over a wore out old gun. Now if you could prove George patton carried that exact serial number gun you might have something. But who cares if lt. smith carried it or some security guard. To me theyd make a good conversation piece to SHOOT at the range but I sure am not paying a premium price for one. Ill put it this way. If the government decided to sell all the berretta 92s in service today to replace them like is rumored would you pay 800 bucks for one of them all wore out? Probably a better chance the berretta was actually used and carried in combat. In ww2 handguns were mostly decorations on the hip of officers behind the lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The CMP has been getting more of a premium price for their stuff lately. That said, these pistols are a true piece of American history. One can only imagine who carried them, and what they went through. I’d love to get one, but we’ll see what the prices look like first, as well as what the grading system is. This will be interesting for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I'll stick to my aftermarket 1911's. They are much more accurate also.

Boolit Bub
    I think I’ll believe it when I see it, but if this really does happen they will sell out of these as fast as they can shovel them out the door. Much like what happened to the Garands, Winchester model 52s, Krags and M1 Carbines, etc. The number of 1911s in circulation then will create a new marketplace to drive the price of correct collectors into the stratosphere. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is that the CMP uses the money they make to foster competitive shooting, especially bringing new young shooters into the sport. Consider it a donation! You can buy a new, U.S. made 1911 for slightly less money, but not one with genuine GI provenance in any kind of shape at all.

Banned

yup I guess some of us are shooters and some are collectors. me I'm solidly in the first category.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd buy one for provenance and to add to military Americana, at the right price.

Boolit Grand Master
    The CMP has morphed from providing inexpensive guns and ammunition to foster shooting, to a clearing house for guns for collectors.

Both camps should be disappointed. Shooters must look to mil-slurps from foreign countries or really good guns from Savage for inexpensive guns. Collectors are paying premium prices with slow rates of appreciation.

At least the shooters can buy very good guns for about $300-400 from Savage that outperform mil-surp offerings. So in the end, they are better off.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

If you just want a shooter 1911 then get a RIA gun and have fun. If you want a piece of American history this may be your chance. CMP prices are still below what USGI M1911A1 are going for in today's market. People forget markets fluctuates, called supply and demand. I carried a M1911A1 since 84' in the Army. Carried them in harms way in Haiti 95', Iraq 03-08' and in Astan 14'. Oct 03' took 250ea of them from depot to Iraq for 5th SFGA (hence the one's I carried there). The one I had in 08' had a dated 1916 Colt M1911 frame! In Afghanistan 14' those that we had from SOCOM were in excellent condition. My armament shop turned back into SOCOM this summer our 1911s from Astan (same one as 14') just before I came back out here. I just inspected 3 belonging to another SF group last month here also.

So for once the possibility of me possessing one of those I might have carried in anger presents itself. Can't buy the M16/M4/M14 ect that I carried ever (once a machine gun/always a machine gun). I will send in my paperwork to CMP when the time presents itself (seems I'm always in Astan when I buy CMP guns) I was not a police officer that has the possibility of retaining his issued arm. I was a soldier that Congress has forbidden me from retaining the arms of my profession when I retired. I can only hope that maybe in the next 20 yrs after the new M17/18s have been fielded, we may have a new NADA authorizing the sell of surplus M9/M11 pistols to the public also.

1943 Remington Rand on my hip in Iraq 04'-05'
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1911A1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	209231

1916 dated Colt M1911 frame with a WWII Ithaca slide in Baghdad 08'

Name:	P5210025_rz.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	209232

M1911A1s in Astan 14', btm ctr is the one I carried, hence its cocked and locked as it hot just out of my holster for pic (44' Remington Rand)

Name:	Remington_Rands.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	209233

Still in Astan today
    (rattle canned paint job )

Name:	img_4510.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	209234

Name:	img_4511.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	209235

I have a 03FFL also. Once CMP mails it to a 01 dealer, I'll have the 01 transfer it to my 03. CMP did not direct this. This is part of the secrutniy of Congress in the NADA/Army/BATFE.

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 12-10-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

CMP also has a fiduciary duty to get market price. It's in their directive.

For people saying they're worth no more than a few hundred bucks....show me a link to one USGI 1911 or 1911a1 for that price. Not not a Thompson auto ordnance junker or a rock island offshore import.

It may suck that the value is unrealistic to a shooter but it is a realistic value in the market. If anything CMP is only asking 80-90% of value to cover I guess those that grade out low. Overall they slightly over deliver for grade on M1s. It's the 10% that just hit grade. Those are usuAlly the guys posting about their lemons.

I can't wait to see the posts when someone gets a 1911 that's been re seriel numbered, maybe even more than once. Lots of hard struck X's.

I have no issues with the OCMP and their procedures. We are living in times, when they need to be a certain as they can be that these handguns do not fall into the wrong hands. I won't be buying one as I got the USGI 1911A1 out of my system many years ago. As a historical collectable they are cool, but I am not a collector, so I will stick to my post-war Colts. They are made of much better steel with much better heat treatment, shoot better and will last longer.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.