Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 20ga NEF Ultra slug hunter. Bullet mold

Boolit Mold

20ga NEF Ultra slug hunter. Bullet mold

Forget sabots treat it as a 20ga rifle. Been shooting .575 lee REAL with great results. Starting over with a .62 caliber bullet mold from Lodgewood Mfg in Whitewater Wi. It casts a conical bullet at about 500gr with wheel weights. It is a Dixie gun works mold new old stock scissors type they have .40 to .70 cal. Prices at $20! There are machining marks in mold but I don't believe that will effect its purpose on white tails. Working on load development now using Blue Dot, Herco,and possibly longshot.

Boolit Master
    Sounds interesting. Keep us posted. Pics also!

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0012.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	208936 Left to right .62 cal 500gr powder coat, .575 Lee REAL in shot wad 2 3/4 roll crimp (this shoots clover leaf groups at 50yds.), .575lee in shot cup, .575Lee .357, 308.

yeah, I have been interested in this subject for a while, because the normal slugs just don't do it for me. do you know what your groove diameter is exactly?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...6-Pigpocalypse

Have done similar. Load .626" 370 grs ball over 95 grs OE FFg in 20 ga brass for 1344 fps. 2" - 2.5 MOA. Details in linked thread above. Would love to see that .62 cal conical.

The Pigpocalypse:

Boolit Mold

Name:	20ga Bullet development 005.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	208966 .615 land to land, .619 Bore. Conical as cast .620 Powder coat to .623-.624. The picture Shows Remington SPS hull,cup seal 4 cork spacers and roll crimp. I have magtech brass ordered.

Boolit Master

For my little brother, I turned an NEF Ultra Slug Hunter into a rifle.

Put that heavy barrel on a NEF rifle action, both for strength and the small firing pin. Rifle sights. Modified a Lee Whack-a-Mole 12 ga. loader for sizing and crimping

Used the full length Mag-Tech brass cartridges. Lyman .646 balls are a nice slip fit into the brass. Three balls, 392 grains each. Blue Dot powder. Circle Fly over powder wads to bring the center line of the top ball up to crimp. If I recall correctly the bore was .621 so those three .646 skid for the first two inches of rifling. They lead right there, but not too badly.

At 25 yards he gets and perfect inch and a half triangle, three inches at fifty.

As best as I could figure he's getting about 1,100 fps so there is some recoil.

He can't hardly wipe the grin of his face.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhars View Post

Name:	20ga Bullet development 005.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	208966 .615 land to land, .619 Bore. Conical as cast .620 Powder coat to .623-.624. The picture Shows Remington SPS hull,cup seal 4 cork spacers and roll crimp. I have magtech brass ordered.
    Sorry, didn't realize the red powder coated monster was the .62. Like! Looks quite impressive loaded as well

Boolit Bub
    And this is better then a factory sabot slug?

Boolit Mold
    My .575 Lee REAL bullets in a standard shotgun wad cloverleaf holes at 50yds. I'm hoping to get range time tomorrow to try the .62s. Right now the .575s are a Pseudo sabot in a shotgun wad. I recover the wads and they are complete. And I believe like my other reloading I think they will be better than a factory sabot. Started treating Ultra slug hunter as a rifle and see how things shape up. Once I get the Magtech brass I believe this will work better than the plastic hulls we will see.

Boolit Mold
    First 3 shots at 50 yards .620 powder coated Conical 500gr. Conical Mold from Lodgewood Mfg. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20ga Bullet development 001.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	209058

Boolit Mold
    Powder coated .620s. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20ga Bullet development 001.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	209462 Got a little cartridge development using Blue dot. 8 shots 50 yards 2 different charges. Looking good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20ga Bullet development 002.jpg  

Boolit Mold

Name:	20ga Bullet development 12 16.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	209672
    Group using Blue Dot with bottom seal from 20ga wad and 7 cork fillers. Fifty yards and the Flyer is totally my fault.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry it has been so long on this project had to scratch together some funds. Broke down and got RMC 3 inch brass had a little hickup with it USH wouldn't close on it. built a jig to take some brass of rim till it chambered. Purchased a mold from Mountain Molds using their on line design program. Barrel slugged .624 got mold 600grains ww at .627. Got a starting load from a gentleman by the name of Ed. Assuring him I had all my fingers and both eyes after 45years of reloading. Using RE17 it thumps pretty good on the back end. Feel sorry anything in front of it. Just got a few shots to see cases are going to do ok. No expansion at all knock primmer out and reprime. Using 20ga wad base and six 16ga .20 cards then bullet.