MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMP has just released info on 1911's

Banned
    CMP is a pain in the *** I wish they were a little more user friendly its great if your close to the stores....

Boolit Buddy
    I'll pass. To much junk to put up with when I can find them elsewhere. Not like they are the only 10k made.

Sure seems the cost started steadily going up once the privatized not for profit CMP took over from the DCM. The CMP is getting the firearms for free. I'm curious as to what their administrative costs are. I also miss the luck of the draw processing. My buddy and I once sent in our paperwork at the same time. He got a well used Springfield, and I got a IHC with a LMR barrel in great shape. Same cost. I fail to see how pricing a gun in a program meant to attract new shooters on one hand and teach new shooters on the other hand high enough that only collectors will bother getting them is keeping in line with what the program is all about? Seems more like corporate polices to me.

Boolit Master

it has been a long time since the cmp was about teaching new shooters.

Boolit Master
    The CMP is still the best deal on a Garand. $730 shipped to your home in a nice case for a solid service grade rifle that has been completely checked over is a great deal today. The 1911s that they are getting may be a deal if you can get a WWII vintage usgi.
    Last edited by historicfirearms; 12-07-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    The CAMP is still the best deal on a Garand. $730 shipped to your home in a nice case for a solid service grade rifle that has been completely checked over is a great deal today. The 1911s that they are getting may be a deal if you can get a WWII vintage usgi.
    they are all WWII vintage or earlier. the gvmnt never had to order more after that due to the number made.

Boolit Master

If you just want a shooter 1911 then get a RIA gun and have fun. If you want a piece of American history this may be your chance. CMP prices are still below what USGI M1911A1 are going for in today's market. People forget markets fluctuates, called supply and demand. I carried a M1911A1 since 84' in the Army. Carried them in harms way in Haiti 95', Iraq 03-08' and in Astan 14'. Oct 03' took 250ea of them from depot to Iraq for 5th SFGA (hence the one's I carried there). The one I had in 08' had a dated 1916 Colt M1911 frame! In Afghanistan 14' those that we had from SOCOM were in excellent condition. My armament shop turned back into SOCOM this summer our 1911s from Astan (same one as 14') just before I came back out here. I just inspected 3 belonging to another SF group last month here also.

So for once the possibility of me possessing one of those I might have carried in anger presents itself. Can't buy the M16/M4/M14 ect that I carried ever (once a machine gun/always a machine gun). I will send in my paperwork to CMP when the time presents itself (seems I'm always in Astan when I buy CMP guns) I was not a police officer that has the possibility of retaining his issued arm. I was a soldier that Congress has forbidden me from retaining the arms of my profession when I retired. I can only hope that maybe in the next 20 yrs after the new M17/18s have been fielded, we may have a new NADA authorizing the sell of surplus M9/M11 pistols to the public also.

1943 Remington Rand on my hip in Iraq 04'-05'
    Attachment 209231

1916 dated Colt M1911 frame with a WWII Ithaca slide in Baghdad 08'
    Attachment 209232

M1911A1s in Astan 14', btm ctr is the one I carried, hence its cocked and locked as it hot just out of my holster for pic (44' Remington Rand)
    Attachment 209233

Still in Astan today
    (rattle canned paint job )
    Attachment 209234
    Attachment 209235

I have a 03FFL also. Once CMP mails it to a 01 dealer, I'll have the 01 transfer it to my 03. CMP did not direct this. This is part of the secrutniy of Congress in the NADA/Army/BATFE.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Sure seems the cost started steadily going up once the privatized not for profit CMP took over from the DCM. The CMP is getting the firearms for free. I'm curious as to what their administrative costs are. I also miss the luck of the draw processing. My buddy and I once sent in our paperwork at the same time. He got a well used Springfield, and I got a IHC with a LMR barrel in great shape. Same cost. I fail to see how pricing a gun in a program meant to attract new shooters on one hand and teach new shooters on the other hand high enough that only collectors will bother getting them is keeping in line with what the program is all about? Seems more like corporate polices to me.
    It is what you end up with when the government gives an entity a monopoly. There was a 2015 tax return online a while ago. It was reported the top guys at the CMP made $300k+ to $400k+ per year. Plus all the fancy buildings they have been building.

What sticks in my craw (besides all the hoops to get a gun) is the statement from one of the CMP exects basically saying criminals buy pistols priced less than $800. Since the taxpayer paid for these pistols many many times over and what the CMP gets them for a starting price of $400 is more reasonable. Plenty of meat left on the bone for the CMP to make money even at that price. If a new shooter wants to start making holes in targets probably best off to buy a rifle from PSA or less expensive pistol and go shooting. Most gun clubs have means and members whom are more than willing to help out a new shooter get started and become a better shooter.

Boolit Master
    WOW! CMP will need: "150 days to inspect the pistols, post receipt." I heard the term "Feather Merchants" for government employees while in the USAF, and NOW I FINALLY see a very good example! I suppose they start work at noon, quit at 1:00 p.m. and "get an hour off for lunch.

Civilian government workers had a saying in the 1962-1966 era when I was enlisted. The civilians laughed and boasted. "Work ALWAYS EXPANDS to fit the time allotted." I could inspect all 10,000 pistols in 150 days by MYSELF! That would equate to 66.66 pistols per day or 8.33 per hour or 7.5 minutes for pistol. I can evaluate a pistol at my local gun shop to my satisfaction in under 7.5 minutes. Just Saying...

Wot a Country?

Adam

Boolit Master
    I'd read that the Marine Corp had purchased some newly manufactured 1911A1 pistols some years back, it being a favorite of their elite troops. Don't remember what troops got these. I think they were operating behind the lines in Afghanistan.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I'd read that the Marine Corp had purchased some newly manufactured 1911A1 pistols some years back, it being a favorite of their elite troops. Don't remember what troops got these. I think they were operating behind the lines in Afghanistan.
    Those were the Colt M45 pistol which was a railed M1911A1. They were withdrawn by MARSOC last year and replaced with the G19. I was in Iraq last year trying to get some 1911 parts stock piled so I could serve them, already had the Glock parts.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned
    Have a retired DEA pal. They got 20 of these surplus 1911s. After all was said and done then ended up with 3 safe, serviceable pistols.

Why anyone would want one the "pieces and parts" 1911s escapes me. Remember back when these were good ones coming out of service Clinton had them all cut up.

Banned

Back when I was in the CG the 1911 we had aboard ship were thoroughly worn out. You can only rebuild those pistols so many times. I feel this is one of the reasons the U.S. was looking for a new service pistol. Now if the CMP pistols are rebuildable and they offered them for a decent price, I feel they would be a good deal and welcome. Selling them to us citizens at a lower price is far better then cutting them up and melting them.

Boolit Master

Interesting, I was wondering what kind of ballpark numbers we would be looking at as far as price. I've bought several Garands over the years. My first was a field grade Springfield for $325 as I recall. They're a lot more than that now.

As much as I would like to have one of these 1911s, it looks like they will be priced well above what I can afford, or justify spending at least. If enough people are willing to pay the asking price so that they all sell, then I guess that's market value. There seems to be enough demand that I don't think they'll have much trouble selling them.

Is any old GI 1911 in any condition going for $800 and up now, market value? If so, there's no way I could justify buying one anywhere, and I suppose I really shouldn't expect a "good deal" from the CMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I swear I saw some of them on gunbroker a while back. Had USMC on them. They were going for prices that were way too rich for my blood.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    from what I read the lowest priced ones will be $750-$800

I need another 1911 like I need a hole in my head.
    Hatch, like you I surely don't need another 1911. Being honest with myself, don't need another handgun. I would however like having a piece of history but at the price. Afraid I'm going to pass. I'm sure glad to see them for sale though and not being turned into scrap metal. My guess, anybody willing to jump through the red tape and shell out the bucks. Will appreciate and care for a part of history.

Boolit Buddy
    What would my 1943 made Colt 1911, not a rebuild, all Colt parts be worth? Excellent condition. My dad had it since 1944, passed to
    me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Is any old GI 1911 in any condition going for $800 and up now, market value? If so, there's no way I could justify buying one anywhere, and I suppose I really shouldn't expect a "good deal" from the CMP.
    The reality is that a clean, mostly original Remington Rand (the most common option) starts at or above a thousand bucks these days. It could be worse; you could be into pre-Peacemaker Colt revolvers: This 1847 Walker could be yours for only $155,000 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/730474481

Such is the allure of The Real Thing. Though they have a lot of superior features, in the discussion of collector guns, the modern Springfields, Kimbers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Baers, etc. . . are essentially Uberti clones of the period piece.

While you do see them on the line in the hands of the "Because I can" contingent, nobody's seriously competing with Garands outside of specialized period matches, and that's been the case since the late '90's - the AR-15 has pretty much surpassed anything the M1 can do in the 200/300/600 yard Service Rifle game. Likewise, the rarity of GI .45's and superior durability of modern steel combine to make it less desirable to start with a vintage pistol to build a heavy shooting match gun on.

So, although the DCM / CMP may have been founded for the promotion of competitive shooting, what they're selling has become almost purely of interest to collectors, and barely of interest to the pure competition or recreational shooter. CMP is simply playing to their current market. It really is a case of If the history of the thing means something to you, go ahead and play. If it doesn't, then you probably shouldn't.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    The Remington rand was the original "Lunchbox special". A unacceptable percentage of early production frames did not meet dimensional interchangeability specs and were demilled by crushing the front of the frame where the spring case portion of the slide rides in a vice.
    Enterprising workmen purloined some of these frames, heated and hammered them roughly back into shape, and assembled working 1911 pistols with no serial numbers from parts carried out of the factory in the same manner.

These pistols can be spotted by distorted and discolored areas at the front of the slide and/or cracks there or welds where cracks were repaired.

Boolit Master
    You can't hardly beat the price on a ATI from the Philippians.. ( SPELLING")

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12