Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR10 overpressure signs with factory ammo

Torn rims are from extractor, head dents from the ejector pin. Both can be caused by early bolt unlock. Haven't had a CCI LRP (#200) primer pierced yet. I don't use 308 Fed brass (or ammo), toss any I find. Now that you got the rifle checked out, get some decent Win/Rem hunting ammo and try it.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Torn rims are from extractor, head dents from the ejector pin. Both can be caused by early bolt unlock. Haven't had a CCI LRP (#200) primer pierced yet. I don't use 308 Fed brass (or ammo), toss any I find. Now that you got the rifle checked out, get some decent Win/Rem hunting ammo and try it.
    What problems did you have with Fedral loads?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    swainredneck, Original problem was expanded primer pockets, lost primers etc. It was fed red label 150gr fmj so it should be a good solid load. Having the bolt close on a no go gauge for a new barrel is pretty much a no no so I need to talk to Brownell's and see what we can come up with. So the ammo may just be a symptom and not the problem or I got lucky and have two problems at once.

Boolit Buddy
    OK this should be the final update, at least I'm calling things good. I got the replacement barrel from Brownell's also went ahead and got a set of headspace gauges and a new DPMS style bolt. Got everything put back together and no-go will not close in chamber. So far so good. Finally got a chance to shoot it, working sucks but so does not working, tried some LC match, don't remember what year. Normal ejection, primer a little flat but still in the case and showing some radius to the edge of the primer. Same results with some mil-surplus M80 ball. Fired one round of Fed. Pressure signs big time. Tried one round in my M1A and still showed a little warm. Extractor rub on the case head, primer had almost no radius to it.

I broke down 3 rounds of the Fed and weighted the bullets and powder. The bullets went from 149.7 to about 150.2 gr. the powder charge was right around 45 gr IIRC but also had about 0.5 gr spread or a little better. The powder looked ok, no smell or red powder. It looked about like 3F black powder as far as grain size and color. About the size of salt or a little coarser. I know our powders and factory powders are two different animals but according to the Sierra book the closest powder would be H335. I don't know what H335 looks like but since I have 38 rounds I'm just going to break them down fertilize the grass with the powder and reload with a known good load. Lesson learned is try one round first in the rifle and check the case even though it's factory ammo. Thanks for everybody's input.

Glad to hear that you got it fixed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123