Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: are savages good guns?

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Hannibal I'll give you 200 bucks for all 3.

I'm sure you would.

One of them went down the road. One got rebarreled. One I still shoot.

It always interesting how people badmouth brand a, b c, or d BUT when I offer to buy these horrible POSs I never get taken up ?

Guy on another site spent 30 posts crapping on a $1000 Leupold. I offered him $750 and he was insulted. (Of course he could have sent it back for free repair, but as there was probably really nothing wrong, he would have looked the fool)

Boolit Grand Master

Some are rather pleasing to the eye, at least to me and they can shoot wellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	072413_170801_zps1929693d.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	208987.........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	072413_170801_zps1929693d.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	208987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	073013_182600_zps6f0d389f.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	208988
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    It always interesting how people badmouth brand a, b c, or d BUT when I offer to buy these horrible POSs I never get taken up ?

Guy on another site spent 30 posts crapping on a $1000 Leupold. I offered him $750 and he was insulted. (Of course he could have sent it back for free repair, but as there was probably really nothing wrong, he would have looked the fool)
    The OP asked for opinions/experiences. I gave him mine. If my experience differs from yours, I fail to understand why that upsets you. (?). There is a reason there are Chevys, Fords, Chryslers and imports just like there are Rugers, Savages, Remingtons and imports. Not everything pleases everybody.

No one is going to sell you a car for a fraction of it's value. The same goes for firearms. I find both your offer and your position to be ridiculous and without merit.

So---- in spite of being terrible, inaccurate and a *** it has value ? I agree, that's why I made the offer I did.

well, ok... so basically for a inexpensive gun, it does what it is supposed to do, ( oh yeah, I was looking at the 110's, sorry, shoulda said that) a little rough, and one might wand to see boyds about a wood stock, if it is synthetic. I personally would buy one that came with a wood stock anyways. except for 22's, I like the extra weight of wood. does that about sum it up? thanks for all the replies!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

I have had several. The only reason I sold any of them was an eye issue which forced me to sell every long gun I have/had which recoils more than a .22 Hornet.

1)112BVSS in .25-06, Heavy barrel. Probably the most accurate rifle I have had. < 1/2" at 100 yds if I did my part. Pre Accutrigger but trigger pull weight was adjustable.
    2) 114 in 7mm-08. This had higher grade wood and finish quality. just as good finish quality as Rem or Win, of which I have owned several. The 114 had Accutrigger which I think is wonderful.
    3) 16- .250 Savage. has Accutrigger and Accustock. Not a fan of Accustock, mostly due to slick surface which is hard to get a good grip on.
    4) 1950 mfg. Model 99 in .300 Savage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me the 99 has the best lines of any lever action. Trigger pull not the best but shot fine.
    5) Stevens Model 200 in .308 Win. The Stevens is a lower priced line using the 110 type action, but with no Accutrigger. Trigger pull weight was adjustable and fairly crisp. It shot just as accurate as any other bolt rifle I have priced less than $1000, with possible exception of the 112BVSS.

In the firing of a few thousand rounds total in all the above, I had zero mechanical issues. My opinion and experience is that the Savage rifles shoot just as well, if not better, than competition in the same approximate price range.
    Last edited by keyhole; 12-07-2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: corrected .300 Savage

Banned

only savages ive ever bought were 3 243 axis guns for the grandkids. All 3 shot moa with good loads. May be a bit ugly and not fit and finished as well as some but there no doubt shooters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    The trouble with every conventional firearm up to this point has been how to deal with the projectile/barrel contact and the propellant.

I'm an electrical engineer. Ever hear of an electromagnetic rail gun?

You will.
    Yep, seen one fired too. How about a laser? I've fired those too. Even a very large one that could take down a plane.

But, they are way overpriced for their capabilities at the present

My Savage Axis is a MUCH better value and far more capable at hunting than a laser or rail gun LOL

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I had a tactical .308 that would shoot VERY well, yeah , it was a little rough on finishing but lord it shot good! Another one in .223 took about 150+ rounds to settle down, but shot very well after that. Just my .02 ,good luck!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Speaking of rail guns, This Thread went off the rails long ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Smile

Funny how there is always somebody ready to trot out and badmouth Savage, Mossberg and Remington PF rifles. Nobody badmouths foreign PF rifles like SAKO, Tikka, Steyr, Blaser, etc. Nobody badmouths any CF rifles.

I can only assume that:

a) Critical people can only afford less expensive American PF rifles OR
    b) All CF rifles are perfect OR
    c) No critics can afford a foreign PF rifle

I also note that the critics can produce no independent evidence such as:

a) Impartial 3rd party reviews.
    b) Side by side tests run against sacred icons such as pre 64 M70s.
    c) Horror stories of exploding guns, American made PF users killed by animals or the enemy due to failure.
    d) All long range matches being won by CF or foreign PF rifles.
    e) Examples of the worlds' military avoiding PF rifles.

Also noteworthy is the vast imbalance between those praising and damming inexpensive USA PF rifles.

My conclusion, based on the study of normal distribution curves, is that there will always be some folks who lie at the edge of the curve who have to take exception to the majority experience. Go to an optics blog and you can find people who hate Leupold and so on.

I have been fortunate enough to own/owned everything from a $35.00 M96 from a barrel in Monkey Wards to a very expensive Holland & Holland Super 30. Bottom line is they all work, are more accurate than most can appreciate and will kill just fine with the correct ammo and shot placement.

The average Joe who spends $300 on a rifle, $500 on a scope and $500 on ammo is a lot smarter than his BIL who drops a grand on a rifle to impress the boys and is then broke.

Buy an AXIS in 308, a slightly used VX3 3-9 on Ebay and 500 rounds of surplus German mil-spec 308. By the time you've burned off that ammo in real world practice (not benchrest), you'll be better prepared than 95% of other hunters.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Hannibal , The reason my Axis shot larger groups was because I tend to put more pressure on the stock than other people . The Axis was somewhat like the Stevens 200 I had Pressure to the stock would flex the action . A laminate stock fixed that for me , glad I spent the money though I wish I didn't have to .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

You did not have to. Any of the floppy fore end stocks are easy to fix. Cut a groove in the bottom. Put a piece of 3/8" threaded rod in the groove. Fill it up with glass bedding. Reassemble the rifle with shims to center the bbl. before the glass sets up. It won't flop nor put pressure on the bbl.

Four of the many given the treatment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	four marlins.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	209067

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    You did not have to. Any of the floppy fore end stocks are easy to fix. Cut a groove in the bottom. Put a piece of 3/8" threaded rod in the groove. Fill it up with glass bedding. Reassemble the rifle with shims to center the bbl. before the glass sets up. It won't flop nor put pressure on the bbl.]
    I glass bed a cut to length old shotgun cleaning rod. Didn't do the decorative stock work though.

Plain black is boring !

Those were X7s 223,7mm08,308 and 30-06. All sub moa. Played with and moved to new homes (kept the S&B 4-16x50)

Yes they are.. I have one of the older composite stock .223 tactical bull barrel,adjustable trigger, have taken more prairie dogs than I could count, and then a 7-08 that is a dream to carry in the deer woods. And yes they are worth the money and shoot right up there with the high $$$$ rifles if not surpass them..

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Tried it and it wasn't enough , Having the action bedded so it couldn't flex worked much better . Still , the Stevens is gone and the Axis stays .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I’m a little late to this party but I thought I’d share my two cents. Savage is like the ugly girl that can cook. For the most part Savage’s are known for their out of box accuracy, ease of barrel swaps and their homely looks. I just went through a Savage vs Remington vs Bergara purchasing decision and settled on the new 10BA Stealth Evolution in 6.5CM. Looking over all the pros and cons in seemed the best fit for my needs (read wants). My experience with Savage has always been good and I hope that trend continues. Once I get a chance to get it to the range I’ll post a review since there are few if any reviews on the net.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast