Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are savages good guns?

are savages good guns?

I have been looking at the savages in 416 ruger,are they good rifles? I remember shooting a 30'06 savage, the bolt seemed pretty rough, don't know if that just means it need to be broken in, or if it means shoddy worksmanship, it was brand new. also, what about the mossbergs in the same caliber? has anyone bought either, I would love some feedback, thanks-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

well, I thought I had seen them in 416 ruger, but it looks like they only have 375 ruger listed

I like the Savage 110/111 series and own two of them. They are not as nicely finished as some other more expensive brands, but tend to be very durable, very reliable, and often more accurate out of the box than the higher priced competition.

cool, thanks for the info! what calibers do you have them in?

They are excellent although they may not be as pretty as other rifles they will definitely shoot right alongside the more expensive ones. My preference is the older Wood stock models with the staggered feed magazine and the non accutrigger. I have owned a .223 .220 Swift, .243. And a 30-06. All of them would shoot under an inch easily and the 220 Swift would put three bullets in your little finger nail all day everyday. At present all we have in the house is a Stevens 200 243 in a Boyd's thumbhole stock and it is a superstar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The older wood stocked bolt action I had wasn't too bad other than being rough , it would shoot pretty well . I can't say the same about the new Axis , the plastic stock was almost worthless as a gunstock . Metal parts were still a little rough but it was functional , with the new laminated stock from Boyd's it's a much better range toy now .

Both are chambered in .223 Remington .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I have five Savage rifles in four calibers(223, 243, 308, and 30-06). All are capable of sub minute of angle groups.
    They may not be as pretty but they surely do shoot well.
    The only rifle I own that will out shoot the Savages is a custom build with a Bartlein barrel and it won't beat them by much.

Moderator Emeritus

The 99's are the only collectibles I am aware of that are pursued heavily. I own several and like them. They are accurate, somewhat homely, tough and inexpensive generally. If pursued solely as an investment they may not be the best, as a shooter they are fine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    SAVAGE MODEL 110 CAL 30-06 SPRG F5539## Twist 1 in 10" 6 grooves BORE 0.307 6/1996
    will cut single hole groups if I do my part

Boolit Master
    I got one of the Axis XP's in .223 with a heavy barrel and cheap Bushnell 4-12 scope. I do not hunt, just casual paper punching.

Fired 100 of the bulk federal ammo to get it kinda 'broken in'. Groups were 2 to 4".

First reloads with 69gn Matchkings, got .6" with 10 rounds at 100yds. 20 rounds inside 2" at 200yd.

The plastic stock is a bit light but you don't have to change it out if you don't want to. I probably won't since it shoots well as is. I may add some weight to it for off hand shooting.

I'm happy with it.

Those large calibers? I would hope they put a much heavier barrel on it or it will kick like a mule.

Boolit Master

As for new savages the heavy barreled 308s will sure shoot;as for older 110s the most accurate out of the box rifle I ever owned in a centerfire was in 7mm mag and I still regret selling it as my high priced single shot heavy barreled rifle with synthetic stock and a high dollar scope shots about as well but no better.

Boolit Master

I sighted in a Model 11 in .243 for my grandson about a month ago. First off the hood of the truck to get close at 100 yds. Moved to a sled later and first 3 shots at 300 yds were a 2" group with 95 gr jackets. Adjusted windage and did it again. First deer he shot through the shoulders at 75 yds. The second was in the neck at 304 ranged yds. Nikon scope with BDC reticles, 3x9. 2nd ring down was 300 yds. Decided he liked bowhunting better. Accutrigger is outstanding. Hope this helps.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    cool, thanks for the info! what calibers do you have them in?
    They are a good guns. You may want to read some of the projects in the savage shooters forum. It is easy to change barrels and calibers with the savages. With the relatively inexpensive pre threaded barrels and replaceable bolt heads, if you decide to change calibers it takes less than 30 minutes. I changed two from 7mm rem mag (pawn shop specials) to 6x45 and 7-08 with no issues.

I just saw a 110E with blind mag and a 3x9 Tasco in 30-06 and the hardwood stock for $250. I could have left with it, checked zero, and gone hunting with confidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

I think the 110 series are the best things going anymore in new rifles. I have an '80s vintage plain jane one in .223 that is crazy accurate. Son's deer rifle is a basic one with synthetic stock in .308 that came as a package deal and it was a good shooter right out of the box.

Boolit Master
    22 Hornet,204, four in 223, F/TR 308, 22-250,358,30-06,35 Whelan
    All will shoot MOA @200. The F/TR will cut that in half @800 when all is good.
    I have shot cast in a couple of them.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Yup !
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Threads like this have me scratching my head. Every Savage gun made today has been the subject of reviews by people who actually had them in their hands. Some people here actually have experience with them, some are just repeating what they heard. Over the years I have owned and still own many Savage guns. Rifles, shotguns and pistols. They all did exactly what they were designed to do. Were they "good" ? Who knows. They did the intended job --- that's "good" in my book.

I guess I'm the 'odd man out' here. I've owned 3 Savage rifles. None would shoot under 1 MOA with factory ammo. None would shoot 1/2 MOA even with every reloading trick I know.

A .416 Ruger is gonna kick like a camel with a lobster on his nad sack.

You never said what model of Savage or Mossberg you are looking at, but if they are the 'box store specials' with the flimsy synthetic stock, you're more than likely not going to like the recoil.
    It all depends on what you plan to do with it. Either rifle will likely suffice for hunting out to 200 yds. Neither one is going to make a benchrest shooter green with envy.

You might be better served with a more standard cartridge unless you're going after grizzly or other dangerous game. (?)

Boolit Master
    Mine shot MOA with good factory ammo, Federal match stuff. Cheap ammo will not do that.

1/2 MOA? I am not that good. If I ever find someone with a machine rest I'll try it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast