Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: are savages good guns?

Boolit Master
    What do I think about Savage rifles?

Well follow the money!

I own five Savage bolt guns and my wife’s high power rifle is also a Savage long action in 7mm Rem Mag.

Also I have the tools as well as a stack of barrels for different calibers for them.

..... and yet I have Rem bolt guns that I cherish as well. Got a pre-64 Win 70 rebarreled to stainless 7 Rem Mag I have not stocked yet (bought already changed) .....so again ... follow the money!

The Savage bolt guns are not “Barbeque guns”, they are tools and yes .... they work!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Have a mid '90's heavy barrel .300 Win Mag, with the tupperware stock. With the first box of Remington factory SP ammo, it was shooting into under 2" at 200 yards. Handloads with match boolits are a bit better, never really spent the time to get the most out of it.

well sounds like the sensible like savages! as far as some complaining of not being able to get better than 2-3" groups, could that just be the limit of you ability? I am not ashamed to say that probably as good as I could do with any gun. I have essential tremors, so I will never be a target shootin champion, but I do fine in the deer woods! thanks again-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    The only Savage I own is a model 340C in 30-30. When I was younger Savage had the stigma (at least where I lived) as being a cheap quality rifle and for those who couldn’t afford a better gun. Fast forward to today and they are some of the most accurate rifles out of the box.
    My friend just picked up a creedmoore and with the Sig Match ammo he proceeded to shoot 3 back to back sub half inch groups.
    They still won’t win a beauty pageant but I think they have come a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Savage just has announced some new chassis rifles that are very kool !

I bought a 110 Savage barreled action in .300 Win. back in the latter 60's. I had nothing but problems with it. I took it to my gunsmith & he gave it to a club member that is left handed (I'm left handed) that he thought was a excellent shot. The guy said, "this gun won't group". Duh, that's why I took it to him! He talked me into re glass bedding the action. There was nothing wrong with the bedding in the first place so that didn't change anything. I was also having trouble with ignition & miss or hang fires. There was definitely something wrong but nobody could figure out what it was. I gave up & sold it. The replacement was a Ruger M77 that I still shoot. I got a Savage 110 for my cousin's son in .270. It is a tack driver & he has killed many, many deer with it. You can get a lemon with anything. Would I buy another Savage 110? Given their excellent reputation for accuracy & value to cost ratio, the answer is a definite "YES". I believe my gun was an unfortunate exception to the rule. As one guy said, "if it were not for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You got that right Geometric , I bought a used 110 because of that reputation . The new Stevens and Axis changed that reputation just a bit for me . I'm thinking the stock is the issue but I know that all weather plastic sells at a bargain price . Now if they would just make ten round magazines the one I got fixed would be even more fun on range day .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

In the last three years I have purchased 6 new Savage bolt action rifles in various calibers. All but one have been tack drivers although one needed a new stock to make it so..
    That one would not shoot up to the standards of the others and was not accurate enough for the use I bought it for so it went down the road. It was good enough for a hunting rifle(3 inches at 200 yards) but I was going to use it for 600 yard shooting, so it had to go. I shot nearly 500 rounds through that rifle trying to get it to group but no luck.
    I picked up a Savage 10FCP-SR in the same caliber to replace it that shoots wonderfully(inch and a half or less at 200 yards).

I really like Savage rifles, have had several! The 6mm Dasher and the 7mm-08 pic's below are on an Axis action and a wooden BSA CF-2 "CFT" stock I got from Numrich and hogged it out to fit a Savage Axis. This was back before Boyd's and others had stocks for Axis.

I like the Savage for the ease of barrel swapping, can have one swapped out in about 20± minutes....

Here is some of the results of mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sierra_225gr_N140.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	210469

Name:	7mm-08.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	210472

Name:	6mm_Dasher_1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	210473
    Last edited by Fla9-40; 12-27-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

Boolit Bub
    They are ugly but boy do they shoot!

Banned
    Savage... not the best fit and finish kinda like buying a Monkey Ward when you could have had a Remington.

Boolit Grand Master

Savages are good rifles. My wife's Axis in 243 went about .875 first handloads I tried. Talking to our Range's Owner yesterday and by chance his daughter was there reloading ammo. He bought her one for hunting and she said the same thing about her's. Have not played with my 308 a great deal yet. If your buying one for hunting like the Axis you will get your money's worth imho.

The Mossbergs seem pretty good. I have one in 30-06 with the fluted barrel and it's a good shooter. My friend just bought one in 338 Mag, put a Bushnell Bone Collector 3x9 on it and he says it is a sold 1-1.5 in gun with factory ammo which is good enough for him.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-28-2017 at 07:06 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    You got that right Geometric , I bought a used 110 because of that reputation . The new Stevens and Axis changed that reputation just a bit for me . I'm thinking the stock is the issue but I know that all weather plastic sells at a bargain price . Now if they would just make ten round magazines the one I got fixed would be even more fun on range day .

Jack
    The stocks are the downside on the Savages at least the Axis line but something had to give to get the price down I guess. There are many drop in replacements on the web including chassis if your into that sort of thing for it so that is a plus.

"A .416 Ruger is gonna kick like a camel with a lobster on his nad sack. "
    If your talking about an Axis you can try one in that caliber first and report back. They are light rifles for sure and I'd want a sled to give it a test run. The plastic Mossberg 338 Win my friend bought "kicks a little" he said.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-28-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123