RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Bullet heavier than mold advertises?

Boolit Mold

Bullet heavier than mold advertises?

Hey guys I’ve been looking at this site a long time and it’s very good. I have a question. I have a Lyman 245 gr 44 mag mold with gas check. My alloy is straight wheel weights water quenched from mold. Ive read that this alloy runs heavy. It runs 27 grains heavy with gas check and powder coat! My question is is this safe to shoot with 245 grain powder charges with blue dot? The gun is a Ruger super Blackhawk. Thanks for any help and once again a very informative site!

Banned

it's super common for production molds to run a bit heavy.[10grs. is real common]
    I think your in a situation where your a bit too heavy to use the called for data, I would start with 270gr data and work from that.
    you may be able to exceed it some working towards the 240gr data but,,,??

In Remembrance

Last thing I knew about Lyman was their molds were supposed to be regulated for use of their #2 alloy.Robert

Boolit Master

The published boolit weight for Lyman molds, other than those specifically intended for BP, is based upon #2 alloy. Boolits cast from straight COWW will always drop heavier from Lyman Molds, usually, somewhere around +4 to +5%. Nominal weight for the Lyman 429421 (plain-base Keith SWC) is listed as 245 gr. but PC'd boolits from my mold, cast from 1 part COWW to 2 parts range scrap + 2% tin, average 254-255 gr...roughly 4% over.

You should always use data for as close to ACTUAL boolit weight as possible so, if your finished boolits are weighing out at 272 gr (245+27), as R5R said, start with the published data for 270 gr. boolits.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I was also thinking of using a chrono to work up the loads. If the bullet is smoking fast the pressures have to be up there as well I would think. I’ve been told the Blackhawk is tough just don’t want to have a hand grenade in my hand going off! It really blew me away how heavier it was with that alloy. Thanks again

Boolit Mold
    My 44 RCBS 250 K mold comes out at 264gr. with my mix. I use data for 270 gr.

Boolit Master

My 240 grain mold when gas checked and pc'd weighs 258, I use 260 data very common