MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Instant Pot cookers?

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    Got a question about doing hard boiled eggs in these pots. How long does it usually take for hard yokes and how easy are they to peel?
    Our pot has an Egg setting which is for either 7 or 10 minutes, can't remember which at the moment, but I think it's 7. Then when it finishes we let it release the pressure on its own for another 7 minutes. The eggs go straight into an ice water bath for a couple minutes and then the peels slip right off. My wife just said that at Thanksgiving she did 18 at one time. All 18 turned out great.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

I did the 6 Chicken & 4 duck eggs on Manual for 5 minutes, it took roughly 5 minutes to come to pressure them cooked for 5. I manually released the pressure when it stopped at 5 minutes. transferred via a slotted spoon to an ice batch for 3 minutes before peeling the 1st one. Easy peel with a perfect Hardboil with no imperfections. Things I have read indicate a 3 minute manual cook for soft boiled.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    Cool! I hate it when you go peel an egg and you lose some of the white. How old are your eggs that your using in your pot?

Boolit Grand Master

We bought one today. hoping to try it out here soon. I bought a pork roast today also. I'm thinking the pork roast some water salt pepper a apple or 2 potatos carrots and onion to start with. My Daughters all excited about it as her boys love yogurt. She is the one doing most of the cooking here now. Next week is a chicken I think. Maybe chilli or bean soup. I see that bone stock can be made with it also. SO a couple ham hocks cooked down with bone would make a good start for the bean soup.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    Cool! I hate it when you go peel an egg and you lose some of the white. How old are your eggs that your using in your pot?
    A week or less, my 87 year old Father has Chickens and Ducks. He gets 15-18 eggs a day, usually 2 are Duck, we get fresh eggs several times a week.
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76

Boolit Grand Master
    I know I'm about to get the "look" from the wife. She hates it when I buy things, but this sounds too good. Maybe I'll just make a dinner and surprise her. Kind of sounds like even I can use this thing.

Boolit Buddy

For those of you who have one. Did you dispose of your pressure cooker and crockpot ? My wife is interested.

Boolit Buddy

Didn't own a Pressure Cooker before but the Crock Pots have been put in storage for now.

Instantpot lives on the counter. Slow cooker is now living above the pantry covered with a towel.

Pressure cooker we have other than the IP is an old fashioned stove model and is on the porch with the rest of the canning gear.

Last night wife brought home a tray of chicken thighs.

Teach me how you do that chicken thing!

ok, put in 4 thighs, cup and a half of chicken broth, splash of teriyaki and soy sauce, showed her how to do the rice, slipped it all together, set it. Walked back into the living room, watched a tv show.

Half a hour later,"You want to eat?" Its done? "Yeah its done" Dang that is easy.

Almost did the beef pot roast in it today, but its -20 below or colder, good day to run the oven.

Vegitable beef soup tommorow.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    For those of you who have one. Did you dispose of your pressure cooker and crockpot ? My wife is interested.
    They haven't been disposed of, but since the Instant Pot has a slow cooker setting it's not been used any at all.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

we love our instant pot

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    My only beed is the XL has teflon in pan. Don’t like teflon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

i still use my pressure cooker for canning beause its bigger. but rarely use the crock pot anymore because with a push of a button it is a crock pot too.

Boolit Master

We eat a lot of rice and have a dedicated rice cooker. I guess I should say “had”. It is in storage because the instant pot does that better too. And faster. In fact, that is what we use it for most of the time.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy

Made a Modified recipe Hoppin' John in our's for New Year's dinner, like everything else we have done in it, it came out excellent. Also, we have the Instant Pot Brand in a 6 Quart & the Cooking Pot is Stainless Steel, NO Teflon.

Thinking I might get one of these if I can catch a good sale. I figured my wife would roll her eyes but she said she has friends that rave about them.

That's how it works - if it's MY idea, it's bad. But if one of her friends does it first, it's OK.

Another winner tonight!

Instant pot hits it into the bleachers again.

Started with 4 chicken thigh's, added 1 cup of chicken broth.
    A sprinkle of poultry seaoning, one block of curry.

On top of the chicken I placed the trivet, and a ceramic bowl with 1 cup of rice, 1.5 cups water.

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-Curry...ont+mild+curry

Set for delay start 1 hour, 8 min pressure cook, natural release. Was timed so that the 10 min natural release was done as my wife walked in the door.

Removed rice, chicken, thickened the sauce with a little flour.
    Heaven, simply heaven.

That curry I saw listed on a couple of different sites so I got curious and bought a box from Amazon. It sits in the fridge in a closed plastic box.

There are 8 "blocks" in the box, I only added one. I went with mild as my wife is pretty sensitive to the hot stuff.

Flavor is great, has a nice mellow rich curry flavor without being overpowering.

Some brussel sprouts finished the meal off. Leftovers will be gone by tomorrow.

This is the second time I have tried the curry, first time was pork chops. Both were winners.

We have the 3 quart IP, one of the earlier accessory's I bought was a ceramic non stick liner.
    I really like this, just a quick spray of pam or a dab of oil and it washes clean quick and easy.
    I would highly recomend that if you use your IP more than once a week you might want to get one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the Adventure continues! Tommorow I think it is beef soup day.

Boolit Buddy
    Wife just bought a 6 qt Duo, all her co-workers had them. she had to search to find one locally, seemed to be all sold out due to Christmas. Did some Eggs, Mac n Cheese and Chicken breasts yesterday. All came out great. today is applesauce and Pot roast with a tri tip (since that is what we are stocked up on and chuck roasts are about 4-5 bucks a Lb) is on the schedule for her next days off. Never had eggs peel so easy, nedd to make a new batch of pickled eggs.

Turkey thighs with Curry gravy for Sat night supper, with quartered potatoes in steamer basket above. Leftovers went into turkey chow mein noodle hotdish sunday.

Awesomesauce!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    We eat a lot of rice and have a dedicated rice cooker. I guess I should say “had”. It is in storage because the instant pot does that better too. And faster. In fact, that is what we use it for most of the time.
    Best rice I've had comes out of a high end Zojirushi rice cooker with induction heating. We also eat a lot of rice.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast