RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Instant Pot cookers?

You're going to love it.

Made beef stew in mine a couple of nights ago. Came out amazing.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Last night a pot of Jambalaya was made in ours using the slow cook option, then this morning it was used for Hard Boiled Eggs, then at lunch Rice was made in it for the Jambalaya. My wife mentioned the other day that we should maybe order another just in case the one we using now goes belly up.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

I have been cooking with mine for 2 weeks now. Have yet to have a bad meal.

Today I dropped a one half of a frozen turkey breast into the cooker, about 2-3 cups chicken broth, some cut up carrots and celery for flavor, with a shot of poultry seasoning and a small dash of curry powder.

Used a small rack to keep the turkey up off the bottom of the cooker. Top layer of vegitables were "awash".

Half hour pressure cook on high, 10 minute natural release. Dropped just a little pressure, removed lid, stuck fork in turkey breast, had it almost up and out when it broke into 3 pieces and dropped back in. Hmmmm I said, this has potential.

Got everything out, dumped the strained broth back into the pot I cooked my mashed potatoes in.
    2 packets of turkey gravey, some flour, salt, pepper, hit it with the stick blender. 3 minutes later we were eating.

Less than 45 minutes total time, no delay for thawing, turkey was beyond fork tender. But moist, juicy even, with wonderful flavor. Best gravy I ever made. The carrots and celery added complex flavors.

I also did a Beef vegitable soup with barley that was to die for, less than 2 hours total.
    Pork ribs were good, but could have used another 5 min as they were partially frozen.

I have also added a non stick ceramic liner from Instantpot. So now we have 2, one can be in the sink dirty and we can still cook. Also a steamer.

One of our best meals was 3 chicken thighes, half frozen, some broth, some soysauce, and I did a ceramic bowl with 1 cup of rinsed rice and a cup and a half of water on top of the chicken.

All was done to perfection and the rice was awesome.

My wife and I love ours, and I'm glad I settled for the 3 quart size. Just right for 2 people.
    My daughter in North Carolina said she bought one for Christmas, but not an instant pot. Off brand. Has been struggling with it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Back in the 70s my usual suspect for cooking was an goodwill-bought electric skillet, brought one up the coast getting our boat up here & used it on the boat later while living on it. Add the pressure cooker option & I can see why people would love these! Hmmmm for a single guy do I want a 3 or a 6 quart one...

Boolit Buddy
    great, now I'm looking at these on Amazon

Mr Sheesh unless you want to cook once a week and eat leftovers the rest of the week I would go with the smaller one.

3 quarts is still most of a gallon, so if you make soup it is easy to put lots of it in the fridge.

I am really looking forward to next summer and real hearty meals without heating up the whole kitchen.

Leftovers are great You can reheat stew or soup 2x/day or so in a crock pot to re-sterilize it, for a few days; poach eggs in it for breakfast, meat for lunch and dinner, etc., bachelors always have sneaky ways of minimizing effort (tho the result may not be PRETTY it will feed you pretty well...) Another way to handle leftovers is to put them into tupperwares or the like, and freeze them, then microwave them when ready to eat them (I've learned not to microwave in plastic though just in glass / ceramic as plastic tends to melt TOO often.) Best bowls I've found are the Corelle 19 ounce ones, light and tough so even WHEN a pet knocks one down, it's not too likely to shatter. (Tempered glass or something?) Great for microwaving anyways

So it was 3 o-clock in the afternoon, my wife and I are texting back and forth. And we both send a "Supper?"

So I walked out to the porch and the big freezer, it happened that my hand landed on a pair of chicken leg quarters. I got chewed out for not bringing in 2.

30 seconds of research told me Instant pot with 30 min cook time was my best bet.

In the bottom of the pot I put a cup and a half of chicken broth, a dollup of Teriyaki sauce, 3 good splashes of soy sauce, the 2 leg quarters frozen into a solid lump. On top of that I put the wire trivet that comes with the instant pot, a ceramic bowl with 1 cup of rice and 1.5 cups of water.

Put on the let, set to pressure, set for pressure cook high for 30 min and walked away.

Best rice my wife and I ever had, bar none. It was awesome. There were no left overs.

Chicken was done, falling off the bone tender, succulent, moist, and flavorful.

A spoon or 2 of the broth on the rice completed a wonderful supper. Total time 1 hour. Prep time 5 minutes. Most of that hour I was sitting in the living room reading a book.

Now that's cookin the lazy man's way.

This morning I have dried pinto beans soaking on slow cook. Half a pound of bacon cut up for flavor. They'll get pressure cooked for I think an hour around noon. Then I want to do a big batch of that good rice. Red Beans and Rice, yumm.

I am really liking this instant pot. Might need one more liner yet, and a few more stainless steel bowls for stacking inside for pot in pot or one pot meals.

Super Moderator

My dear mother got us one for Christmas, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Got three days off this weekend, gonna fire it up. Maybe some ham-hocks & pintos with some Hatch green chiles.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 12-31-2017 at 05:16 PM.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    My dear mother got me one for Christmas, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Got three days off this weekend, gonna fire it up. Maybe some ham-hocks & pintos with some Hatch green chiles.
    Good eatin there !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Buddy

This was not the thread to read at lunch time... now I am hungry and will probably also be out the cost of one of these things.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Ours came today. Wife looks a little lost.
    I am no help I have had a cold.
    Now on the 3rd day and have no concentration.
    What to fix 1st?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

I had never heard of an instant pot until an hour ago! Wife and I were at wallymart doing a bit of after Christmas shopping and saw some on sale and I thought GIMMICK and she thought "that's what we need", then I come here and see this, guess I gotta go back to wallyworld.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Ok for all you new to IP guys out there. This is my favorite recipe site hands down.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/...one-pot-meals/

Scroll to the bottom, chicken, beef, pork, pot in pot, pick your poison.
    Good recipes, good flavor, good instructions, easy to follow.

After you have been doing it for a couple of weeks you'll figure out how easy it is.

Throw in some food, some liquid, some spices, and let er cook.

Beans btw came out awesome, after the pressure cook for an hour I had them on slow cooker for 2 hours, then kicked them up to saute on low for an hour to thicken them up, evaporate off the water.

Rice just finished, going to see what my first big batch of rice tastes like.

Enjoy people!

Boolit Master
    We love the Instant Pot. Mrs. smokeywolf initially bought it to make our yogurt and a couple of other dishes that require a fermentation step. We love slow cooker/crock pot dishes during winter and also like to home can leftovers. For that reason, we wish the IP was at least half again bigger. Still love it though.

GH, thanks for the link to pressurecookerrecipes.com.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy

I used our's to hard boil 6 fresh chicken & 4 fresh duck eggs today, they came out fantastic. Then for dinner I steamed frozen Pork Tamales from Costco, they were also fantastic. We have the Instant Pot Brand in the 6 quart version ...
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Ours came today. Wife looks a little lost.
    I am no help I have had a cold.
    Now on the 3rd day and have no concentration.
    What to fix 1st?
    Rice or hard boiled eggs. Easy to do and all but foolproof. After that do dried beans. they're easy to do as well and are quite forgiving in you mess something up. Our Insta Pot is used for something almost every day.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Got a question about doing hard boiled eggs in these pots. How long does it usually take for hard yokes and how easy are they to peel?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I got a 6 qt XL this summer. I saw electric pressure cookers and thought, “STUPID!” Then I saw the infomercial for it. I used the regular pressure cooker a lot, especially for pinto beans. These rock! Throw in a bunch of stuff, add spicy & some liquid and hit start! Anyone can do it. Wish I had the 10 qt. If I were to head out alone in a small trailer, my kitchen would have my NewWave oven, induction cooktop, XL & bread machine. Add a cast iron skillet & steel wok and I can do it all! Ever make popcorn in a wok? Grandkids love it! I never heard of the Instant Pot before. A 3 qt. would be really good for traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sneaky trick, you can make Microwave popcorn w/o the chemical-laden "Microwave" popcorn - Put 1/4 Cup popcorn kernels into a brown lunch bag, roll the top up a little to sorta seal it, microwave it (until you hear pauses of about 2 seconds between pops. Depends on your oven's power.) Easy and fast. Beware steam on opening. Haven't made it in a wok that I remember.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast