Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Instant Pot cookers?

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    My wife found this earlier this week.

http://momsavesmoney.net/2018/01/4-w...pot-meals.html
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

My daughter has found out she can use it to sterilize here things for the baby in it also quicker and easier. Shes learning to do yogart in it now for the older grandsons also. Weve done roasts, A whole chicken, rice Soup so far and its really doing good. Shes sterilized the parts for her pump several times also.

Boolit Grand Master

My Daughter did rice in ours the other night and it stuck to the bottom pretty hard. Any tricks here? Has anyone tried on of the slow cooker bags in the insta pot to ease clean ups? Curious here. were doing bean soup in it tonight.

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure you would get a good seal on the pot with a Slow Cook bags.
    I tried this recipe earlier in the week w Boneless port chop and got no sticking or burning. Used some teriyaki in the water too. Cooked for 5 minutes and natural pressure release.

https://twosleevers.com/pressure-coo...rk-chops-rice/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My Daughter did rice in ours the other night and it stuck to the bottom pretty hard. Any tricks here? Has anyone tried on of the slow cooker bags in the insta pot to ease clean ups? Curious here. were doing bean soup in it tonight.
    It may be that she should add a bit more water to the pot. Did she use the 1 to 1 recipe? If so maybe she could try 1 to 1.25 or maybe a minute or so less time. Experimentation is sometimes in order. I've read of some using a "Pot in the Pot" method of cooking Rice. Ours does come out dry every once in a while, but it's still good even if it does stick. My wife said yesterday that we need to order another to have a backup to use especially around the Holidays when she does a lot of cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    Not sure you would get a good seal on the pot with a Slow Cook bags.
    I tried this recipe earlier in the week w Boneless port chop and got no sticking or burning. Used some teriyaki in the water too. Cooked for 5 minutes and natural pressure release.

https://twosleevers.com/pressure-coo...rk-chops-rice/
    I don't know why it be any harder to get a seal with the slow cooker bag unless it's sticking up high enough to interfere with the top closing.

Boolit Master

when I do rice I do brown rice and use 2 cups rice for 3 cups of water.

I did a full batch of just rice, in the steel liner, it did stick some. Also overcooked it a bit.

Our best rice has always been 1 cup of rice one and a half cups of water, I use a ceramic bowl, and do it first so it can soak.

Put that on top of whatever is in the pot. 8 min pressure cook, 10 min natural release. Perfect rice every time.

If I was to do another batch of just rice I think I would use a steamer basket to keep the rice off the bottom. You'd probably have to do 2 or 3 batch's to really get the recipe dialed in.

We are still using ours 2-4 times a week. I am experimenting more and more with my own recipes, my own seasoning.

I did just receive 2 new steel trivets for the rice bowl. These are sized perfect for my 3 quart IP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should keep the bowl up off the meat more, more secure and stable.

We dont use ours a lot but it is very handy at times. You can pull a roast from the freezer and be eating in about an hour. I just hate the electricity part of it.

We have an smaller old pressure cooker that goes on the stove that we've never used but picked up cheap. I need to try it one day. One of our stove top pressure canners is set up for cooking too

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Haven’t tried rice specifically, but would think hitting the bottom with Pam or equivalent would help. Didn’t like it sticking in rice cooker so went that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

We had Rice last night cooked in the IP. I normally use 1:1 and yes it comes out a bit dry and sticks. My wife fixed it last night and used 1:1.5 Rice to Water. It came out fluffy with just the right moistness and with hardly any sticking.

Boolit Master

Made turkey necks, taters, carrots & onions tonight with 2 beef bullion cubes (no chicken). Extra water for gravy. Mmmmmm!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lecithin is the same thing as PAM and can be cheaper, just a FYI

We found a new favorite in our Instant Pot.

At costco we happened across a pretty good deal on a marinated flank steak. Probably designed for the grill. Well I remembered a "Mongolian Beef" Instant pot recipe that called for flank steak, so we bought it.

At home it was obvious 2 of us were not going to eat all that flank steak in one or 2 sittings so I sliced it into thirds. Vacuum sealed and froze 2, put one in the pot.

Half an onion sliced, 2 cloves of garlic finely diced, a dash of soy sauce, a dribble of terriyaki a sprinkle of sugar and some mushrooms.

Flank steak was cut into 3/4 inch pieces, lightly sauted in a pan (could have used IP) While those were cooking some awesome baby bella's were sliced up. Meat onion and garlic went into the pot while I fried the mushrooms to a light brown, then they joined. Added a cup of water with a little better than boullion beef and the above mentioned seasonings and spices.

Put the rack in, set my 1 cup of rice and 1.5 of water in a correlle bowl on the rack, 8 min on manual pressure cook on high heat and pressure, 10 min natural release.

Removed meat and onions to a bowl, sprinkled in some flour from a shaker and in 2 min I had gravy to go with the rest. A vegetable in the microwave and you have a feast.

I've done this meal twice in the last week. The beef comes out succulent, fork tender, full of flavor.
    As to the seasonings, all I can say is experiment. Find out what you like.

I was concerned that the mushrooms would be overcooked. But they were fine. Full of flavor and wonderful with the beef and the rice.

The second time we found flank steak it was not marinaded. So I just sliced it into chunks, in a blender combined 3/4 cup canola oil, Soy Sauce, Terriyaki, Basalmic Vinegar (cheap stuff works) a squirt of mustard, worchestershire sauce, and adolph's meat tenderizer.

Combined it all, put the meat in a gallon zip lock bag, poured the marinade over it.
    Made sure all was covered and put it in the fridge. The next morning most was vacumn bagged and sealed and frozen.

Seriously folks, grab whatever beef you can find that is cheap, on sale. Round steak, chuck, brisket, flank steak I don't think it matters.

Slice it up into bite size chunks or strips to keep cooking times low.

Throw it in the IP with some broth, water, beer, whatever you have a hankering to try.
    Let it pressure cook for 8-12 minutes depending on quantity. Do the pot in pot thing with a rice bowl if you like. Or taters. Or boil up some noodles or pasta.

Remove the beef, thicken and season to taste.

Your in for some of the most tender tasty beef you ever had. Enjoy!

Last, for those who dislike teflon.

One of the best accessory's we bought for our 3 qt unit was a Ceramic non stick liner.
    I love it so much compared to the steel I bought a second.

Its like those new fry pans that use ceramic over steel. Gray in color, with a dash of oil, quick spray of pam it is very good about not sticking. They are SO much better I don't understand why they don't come standard. They are not that expensive.

As of right now, there are 2 non stick IP liners in the sink and I am cooking chicken thighs curry in the plain steel one.

Yeah we love our IP.

Slow cooker, who needs it? Same for pressure cooker, rice cooker.

Our 3 qt is just right for 2 people, perhaps a third if they are not really big eaters.
    It makes just the right amount of soup so I can have a couple of meals and freeze a couple.

Best buy for 2017 at this point.

Boolit Master

have a crock pot branded ip.
    use it for a ton of things including yogurt and quick breads.

have to keep the stovetop pressure canner for canning though.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Went and bought a 6qt one last night. Trying to decide what to make in it first.

Boolit Master
    Just tri d doing hard boiled eggs in my instant pot 6qt. Don’t have a egg rack yet. But after tonight I will be ordering one. I asked y’all how it did eggs. Y’all told me it was very good at doing eggs and easy to peel. Well I will tell you your darn tooting it makes hard boiled eggs and easy to peel.

Since I did not have th egg rack. I used the short rack that came with it. I put 1.cup of water in the pot then the rack. I used my folding steamer that you use to steam veggies. on that rack added 1 dozen fridge cold eggs on their sides touching each other. Put the lid on set the sealing, hit the egg button adjusted to more. 5 mins. It does it’s thing builds the pressure in about 5 to 7 mins. It lid locks about a min. later it counts down. After 5 mins. I canceled the appointment warmed funtion. Left under pressure for another 5 mins manually vented. Take the top off. Had 3 cracked eggs. Ok no whites over anything like it would if you water boiled them. Used to gs to put them in a bowl of cold running water. Cracked the shells and basically slipped the shells right off them. Perfect whites. Had the wife try one. Homes were done prefect. No green ring. So I loaded up the steamer rack with another dozen. With the remainder of what water was in the pot. Again fridge cold eggs. Wanted to see if y’all when everything was warmed up with cold eggs if the time would be off. Set and done everything the same. Took less time to build pressure and lock and start counting down. The 2 eggs cracked. Peeled the same. Checked the yokes for doneness. Perfect. Can’t wait to get the egg rack so I can do 17 eggs at a time. Checked the water that was left it used just a little over a half cup. Don’t know how I ever lived in other out this instant pot to do hard boiled eggs. Was well worth the price just to do eggs.

Boolit Master

So what brand/size everyone have? We got a pp/6qt

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    Went and bought a 6qt one last night. Trying to decide what to make in it first.
    mainly use mine for beef-veggies stew. in 2 cups of knorr beef broth,1 spoon of flour , and steak spices , the layering goes like this: potatoes,meat , sprouts ,cabbage, green beans ,onions,carrots lowest setting for 8 hours .

tried some ribs one time, but you still need to finish them in the oven with the BBQ sauce,so it is faster in a pressure cooker . however,there's no better stews than the ones cooked slowly for hours.
    Last edited by glockfan; 02-10-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    Instant Pot 6qt

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast