MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Instant Pot cookers?

Flank steak again in the IP 3 qt tonight, rice at 1 to 1.5 was perfect and fluffy.

Added half an onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 green onions, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce with salt and pepper. There was NOTHING left over but a bit of rice.

I did cheat and used a ceramic fry pan to saute the meat and vegi's before dumping into the IP.

Plus 1 cup of water and a half teaspoon of better than bouilion beef.

Best part, 7-8 minutes prep time, assembling everything. Load the pot, set it for 9 min high pressure and hot, put the lid on, and walked away.

Half an hour later we have a plate full of awesome. Don't get no better than that.

Last week it was one third of a big round roast, got about the same treatment but more in the pot roast + potatoes and Carrots style.

For a tough cut of meat it was darn tender. And there are 2 more from that roast yet to come.

Boston baked beans and chili in a hour from unsoaked dry beans and ground beef, tomato and cabbage soup so far . Tomorrow is an outside round roast with taters and carrots, usually a tough cut, we'll see how it does .
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Boolit Master
    Made a chuck roast tonight. 2.68lbs 2 hrs it was falling apart and juicey. Then washed th pot and start doing eggs. Done 5 dozen 1 dozen at a time back to back. Only lost 2 eggs. One cracked lost some whites. And the other morning broke it in half while peeling, I got to rough my fault. I am loving the IP.

Boolit Buddy

Reading this thread made me hungry and wanting to buy one to try out!!

Sat evening, wife brought home a "flat iron steak" about 2/3rds of a pound.

Rubbed with Adolph's meat tenderizer and Worcester sauce and let it sit for half an hour while I talked to the neighbor.

Sliced into roughly 8 3/4x3/4 strips. Cut up some green onion, and diced up a clove of garlic. Threw it in a fry pan, quick saute turning the meat twice. Threw it in the IP with 1 cup of water and half a spoonful of betterthanboulion beef. Set the rack, rice on top. 1 cup rice and 1.5 cups water in a correlle bowl. Set the IP to 10 min and gave it the usual 10 min natural release.

When the meat came out I arranged the strips on a plate, topped with the cut up tops of the green onions. Set the rice bowl there.

Used a Schillings Mushroom Gravy packet and a spoonfull of flour. Hit it with the stick blender to make the onions and garlic disappear. (But the flavor remains)

Poured a spoonful of gravy over the meat/onion tops and called it supper.

It was tender, it was flavorful, the platter was argued over who got the last gravy/onions. There were no leftovers, the dog licked up the last of the gravy. A good meal was had by all. And the meat was falling apart tender, look at it and it broke. Juicy, succulent, wonderful.

I love the IP.

Tonight, turkey curry! Wife brought home an unfrozen complete turkey breast with rib meat. It will all go in the pot with a cube of that vermont mild curry.

Well, the outside round roast went well. Seasoned the 3 pound roast all over with Montreal Steak Spice and used the sautee function to sear it a few minutes on all sides. Pulled it out and deglazed the bottom of the pot with a package of dry onion soup mixed in 2 cups of water, added 6 medium potatoes halved, 2 very large carrots quartered, a halved onion and a stalk of celery, plopped the roast on top and cooked on high for 45 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release before I opened the valve and opened it . Took the roast out and tented it with some foil and put the veggies in a covered serving bowl while I put the remaining liquid back on saute and whisked in a bit of cornstarch to thicken the gravy. Meat was as tender as 8 hours in a crock pot I would not have wanted to go any longer than 45 minutes as I fear the veggies would have been reduced to mush.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Did the turkey breast last night. Now this was one half, bone included, skin, ribs, and the bones in front that support the wings.

I wanted to finish with the turkey done, and a rice bowl on top.

So I put the turkey in for 6 minutes, with chicken broth. Removed, deboned, pulled meat scraps off the bones. Put back in the pot with a curry cube, and the rice bowl on top. Gave it another 8 minutes. My normal cook time for the rice.

Turkey was done, succulent, juicy, rice was perfect as always.

Try 30 min on the roast then slip in vegi's and hit it another 8-15 min.

I think in most cases halved potatoes would be done in 8-10 min. Carrots would need less than that. But they would not be cooked to mush.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

Try 30 min on the roast then slip in vegi's and hit it another 8-15 min.

I think in most cases halved potatoes would be done in 8-10 min. Carrots would need less than that. But they would not be cooked to mush.
    Yeah that or perhaps just do the roast in the water and onion soup mix , when done tent it under tinfoil to rest before cutting and do the diced veggies for 10 or so, shouldn't take long for it to come back up to pressure with the hot liquid in the bottom. I used our 6 quart, we also have the 3 quart mini but I really wanted to do it one pot as I am chief cook and dishwasher since I retired.

Boolit Master
    I saw on the news today that they are recalling some of those things due to overheating....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I saw on the news today that they are recalling some of those things due to overheating....
    http://fox6now.com/2018/02/22/instan...-cookers-melt/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Thanks , looked it up, that model " The Gem Multicooker " in the recall is more of a crockpot type cooker than pressure cooker. Yeah I was a bit uneasy using it the first few times as I remember stories in my youth of the old fashioned stove top ones going very bad from my mom 60 years ago.

Boolit Buddy

I saw that Safety Notice & went checked our Instant Pot 6 Qt. It is not the same model unit that is having the problem, we always unplug our's when not in use and never leave it unattended. Basic safety precaution for electric kitchen things
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Vendor Sponsor

Well this thread "made" me purchase a IP
    Shipped Monday due to arrive Wed.
    USPS 2 day air from Co to KY back to Co
    Today will only make matters worse as another snowstorm is due to hit KY and NC
    Hey it may be 12-14 days for a 2 day air delivery
    All i can do is read recipes and daydream about eating IP cooked food
    Keep 'em coming ...got to be entertained
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I bought one this Fall on account of glowing recommendations of one of the girls that works for me and the internet. I have used it to can a case and a half of venison and boar for making stroganoff this Spring. Makes ****ed good rice, too. Wife won't let it in the kitchen so I have use it at the clubhouse. She has a morbid fear of pressure cookers as one blew up in their kitchen growing up.

Vendor Sponsor

Well we made our first dish in the Mealthy IP
    Korean beef. Used deer instead. It was delicious. Cooked perfectly. Tender and juicy
    I am thinking orange chicken or bread next
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

I haven't given it a test run yet but I think I am going to try this corned beef and cabbage recipe for supper Saturday for St. Patrick's day.

4-5 Cloves of Garlic
    4 cups of water (I may use some beef broth I canned a while ago)
    2.5-3# Corned beef brisket and spices
    2# baby red potatoes
    3 cups carrots
    1 head of cabbage

Directions:
    1. Place corned beef brisket, spice packet, garlic and 4 cups of water into the instant pot (use the rack to keep the brisket off the bottom of the pot).

2. Cook on 90 minutes using the meat/stew setting or high pressure for 90 minutes. Once time is up, quick release pressure. Remove corned beef to a platter and cover with foil. Let rest while cooking the vegetables.

3. Without discarding liquid, add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage to pressure cooker, you may remove the rack.

4. Cook at high pressure for 4-5 minutes. Do a quick pressure release before removing vegetables.

https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/201...d-cabbage.html

Boolit Master
    wow looks like lots of positive reviews here. Thanks for sharing yall, I'll look into getting one myself.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy

Just set our 6 Qt IP to 90 minutes on High Pressure, going to give the Corned Beef recipe a try

Had a heck of a time getting the picture to attach .... It turned out excellent, I used Beef broth in place of the water. One of the best Corned Beef Dinners I have done
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	216655
    Last edited by Mtnfolk75; 03-18-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Buddy

Well its confirmed the corned beef and cabbage was delicious!

We got one at Christmas and used it once for a pot roast. It did cook in far less time and taste was equally as good as the slow cooker.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345