MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flatscreen TV

Flatscreen TV

Our 3 year old 50 inch flat screen tv died today. we had audio but no video. brand name is Insignia. A tech from Dish came out and told us there was nothing he could do for it. So I am looking for a replacement. I am not familiar with them enough to know which to buy. So which brand would you look at or bypass. I'm guessing a price of $300 to $400 would be my top range. Yeah I'm cheap.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Amazon is your friend.

You might check on Ebay for a new video card for yours and look on the net for known problems.

I have a Samsung that did the same thing. An $80 video card off Ebay has it back working.

Doubt anyone from DISH knows much about fixing a TV.

Before you bought an Insignia, you shuda read this: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home.../insignia.html

I have 2 Vizio TVs out west and they have lasted 3 years thru power surges and lightening storms. You can buy a 48" for <$400

Boolit Master
    I have two Vizio's, also. Their Customer support is great and on the few occasions that we called, we actually talked to an American. The newest one, bought this Spring, replaced a five year old Toshiba.

Nowadays, TV's are throw away items. Not built to last, longer than the warranty. Hence, I will not purchase the most expensive brands. The first Vizio, is on it's sixth year, and still going strong.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for Vizio. Have had mine for 4 yeas and it's survived my dog and kids...wish I could say the same for the remote
    Domari Nolo

We've had Samsung but the Visio look awful good. They have come up a lot since Visio started putting out products.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

I used to think Samsung TV's were the best. But everybody in my family has had trouble with theirs. Mine's had some little issues but is soldiering on nearly a decade later, but with a sound bar for sound because the TV wanted to act like headphones were plugged in, no matter what I did trying to clean out the jack.

I'd probably be looking at a Vizio when this one finally gives up for good.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

My search begins and ends w/ Samsung. The one in my bedroom is practically one of the original flat screens. Bought it back when a 40" class was still over $1k. It's still working like new. The one in the living room is newer and still works perfectly. There are other brands. But I find Samsung to have the best picture for the price. The audio on all them is bad so a sound bar is needed at a minimum.

Amazon for a TV? You really think shipping an individual TV thru us or FedEx especially this time of year year is a good idea? Go to Walmart and buy one. Same price, shipped by truck and if you have an issue, ea to return. BTW, under $400 for 55 inch. I've two Sanyo over 8 yrs old and still going good, one is now over 11

Boolit Master
    I bought a Hisense 50" 4K from Walmart two years ago. It's been the best tvi have ever owned. It replaced 42" Samsung. There is no comparison between the two. When I bought it, it came with a two yr in home warranty . If you registered it online you got an additional two yrs warranty in home. So I got 4 yrs in home warranty. It cost 350.00. I think you can get the 55" Hisense 4K now for the same price. When I have to get a new one it will be another Hisense! Also it has a vary thin black edge about 5/8"wide. My daughter just bought a Hisense 65" 4K and she's loving it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-5...5H6D/108845479

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Amazon for a TV? You really think shipping an individual TV thru us or FedEx especially this time of year year is a good idea?
    I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon is very easy to deal w/ when it comes to returns. Not as quick as taking it back to Walmart. But the whole process is easy and you will have a new TV in two days. Amazon just delivered a snow blower to my house. Could have gone to Lowe's to buy it. But they don't accept Hilton Honors points like Amazon does

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    WalMart is fine IF you have one. Where I live it's 100 miles+ away and when you get there you have no navigate thru these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50a7dcad828d42853590125fc91acd7f--only-at-walmart-walmart-funny.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	208864

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon is very easy to deal w/ when it comes to returns. Not as quick as taking it back to Walmart. But the whole process is easy and you will have a new TV in two days. Amazon just delivered a snow blower to my house. Could have gone to Lowe's to buy it. But they don't accept Hilton Honors points like Amazon does
    Did not know you could use Hilton Honors points at Amazon. Thank you for that.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Banned

One of the members mentioned Fedex. My daughter has been telling me for a good while how screwed up Fedex is and I wasn't believing it till I started paying attention. Now all the package service companies have their problems, but Fedx leads the pack with us anyways. We have had more messed up deliveries with Fedex then any of the others. Recently on the news I was amazed at the news articles coming out about them. One of their employees working in the package sorting warehouse was killed when it got caught up in the convey line. Just on the news a Fedex tractor trailor driver caused a major accident down my way when he rolled the truck over. The list goes on with them. But nothing tops the female Amazon deliverer when she pooped in some guy's lawn because she had to really go!!! LOL Amazon fired her and apologized to the guy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Did not know you could use Hilton Honors points at Amazon. Thank you for that.
    My pleasure. Be aware that the point value is horrendous. You get a lot more value if you use the points for rooms. But a free snow blower is a free snow blower because I'm reimbursed for my hotels stays. In my case it's literally free money

Boolit Master

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV that I bought new in 2000. I added a sound bar and it has been solgering on since. Never an issue with the TV.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    Sony is the best brand in my opinion. I worked for a cable company for 7 years as a service technican. It was rare to see a bad Sony television. That's all I buy and have never had a problem with one.

Banned

I've had bad luck with Sony, RCA, and Toshiba. I've had excellent results with Samsung and can't seem to break one. On the other hand I will never own another Samsung dishwasher. I do believe they are great in electronics.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 Samsungs. The oldest is 6 years old. Not a problem what so ever.

Moderator Emeritus

One hint, not mentioned yet, Heat will speed up failure with LED TVs. If your TV is in a cabinet or enclosed entertainment center, be sure to have some ventilation holes cut in it.

Another thing, The TV's offered on Black Friday (or other SUPER SALE) are built to economical specifications with cheaper components and are more likely to fail sooner.
    > I learned this a few days after I bought my 'second' Black Friday TV (the first one lasted 2 years). I'm on 3 years with this second TV, it's still fine, but I am on the lookout for a new one anyway. I like the Picture quality of Samsung, but I'm also drawn toward Vizio's 4K sizes and features.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a Vizio 55" 4k TV last December, it replaced a 8 year old Vizio that finally died from all the power outages and surges.

Your bad TV probably has a picture and the back light power supply is bad. Very common failure, about $5 in parts and I bill $30 for an hours labor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast