Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flatscreen TV

Boolit Master

For us technical neandertals, what's a "sound bar" ?

speakers in a bar like container
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Vizio - got ours seven years ago and it is going strong. It's been a great TV. It has a bunch of aps and features we've never used because our internet connection isn't fast enough. Have Samsung in the bedroom that was used when given to me. Not sure its age. It has a good picture but no other features, pretty bare bones. It hasn't seen as much use as the Vizio but seems to be a good TV as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Amazon is very easy to deal w/ when it comes to returns. Not as quick as taking it back to Walmart. But the whole process is easy and you will have a new TV in two days. Amazon just delivered a snow blower to my house. Could have gone to Lowe's to buy it. But they don't accept Hilton Honors points like Amazon does

Right! Only if it is defective. I ordered a CD player that I returned because I did not want it when I thought it was a DVD player and when it was all said and done it cost me $55 of the $120 I spent on it. It cost me nearly twice as much to ship it back as it did for them to send it. Then they tagged me for an open box AND A RESTOCKING FEE when their return directions said to open box and put return info in box in case something happens during shipment. I'll never buy a large item from Amazon again because of this hidden cost and deceptive practices of telling you to do something and then penalizing you for doing it. I pointed it out to them and kindly got the finger from them. I basically paid them to abuse me, and I didn't even get a kiss. Unless I know for sure it is what I want I don't buy it on line where I can't take it in and confront customer service.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

So I went out today and bought a 48 inch Vizio . I cant put it on the mantel above the fireplace, the legs are wider than the mantel. I'll go to the local carpenter shop tomorrow and pick up a 1x12. It cost $348. at Walmart, had to drive 45 miles to get it.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Master

Westinghouse make a good one for under $300, I’ve bought 2 from best buy

Banned

we bought a 55 inch hd phillips for 300 bucks from Walmart on a chirstmas sale last year. It has a great picture. As good as my other sets a sanyo and a visio.

Banned

we bought a 55 inch 4k ultra hd phillips for 300 bucks from Walmart on a chirstmas sale last year. It has a great picture. As good as my other sets a sanyo and a visio.

Boolit Master
    I have Sonos sound bars for both of my Visio's. Capable of playing internet music like Pandora radio and Sirius.

Winelover

I opened the box to put the new tv on the wall today. Then I saw the screen was trashed at the top. Made the drive again to return it. came home with a 50 inch vizio.

Boolit Grand Master

I purchased a 42" Elemental for use in a future bedroom. When I moved it to the new location after construction and installed it, there were 2 1/2 wide dead (black) vertical stripes. Of course the warrenty was worthless, and I have a huge paperweight that I paid $247. for. It would cost more than it's value to repair.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Right! Only if it is defective. I ordered a CD player that I returned because I did not want it when I thought it was a DVD player and when it was all said and done it cost me $55 of the $120 I spent on it. It cost me nearly twice as much to ship it back as it did for them to send it. Then they tagged me for an open box AND A RESTOCKING FEE when their return directions said to open box and put return info in box in case something happens during shipment. I'll never buy a large item from Amazon again because of this hidden cost and deceptive practices of telling you to do something and then penalizing you for doing it. I pointed it out to them and kindly got the finger from them. I basically paid them to abuse me, and I didn't even get a kiss. Unless I know for sure it is what I want I don't buy it on line where I can't take it in and confront customer service.
    THIS is one major reason I dislike Amazon. BTW, they don't treat their suppliers any better. I'm not a super Walmart fan, but I can take something back and get refund same day. Or exchange. No hassle.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    I opened the box to put the new tv on the wall today. Then I saw the screen was trashed at the top. Made the drive again to return it. came home with a 50 inch vizio.
    A little late, but I always open box before leaving on TV and monitors.......

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Take the Vizio back!!!!!!! I would not ever own one for free.

NOTHING but Sony! We have 3 of them. One is over 10 years old and still working 110%. On over 12 hours a day every day!

Pay a little more and get the VERY BEST. Several friends have gone thru several (3) Vizio's over the same time period! Nuff said about that sub-quality brand.

Sony knows how to make flat screen TV's that last.......a very LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    My search begins and ends w/ Samsung. The one in my bedroom is practically one of the original flat screens. Bought it back when a 40" class was still over $1k. It's still working like new. The one in the living room is newer and still works perfectly. There are other brands. But I find Samsung to have the best picture for the price. The audio on all them is bad so a sound bar is needed at a minimum.
    I bought two flat screen's several years ago and bought a Samsung 40" for upstairs and a 42"LG for downstairs,

My shopping began and Ended with the Korean Brands, Because If you buy from anyone else you are getting a Korean TV anyway,
    because Korea is where 90% of the LCD screens are made anyway.

No Plasma Screens and you want an LED/LCD screen , The Color and moving picture is the LCD which is Backlit by LEDs

I bought the LG for downstairs in the Den because it was a bit Brighter than the Samsung, Not to mention $160 Cheaper.
    But most of that price difference was because I bought the Samsung in May at best buy, I bought the LG at Walmart in August.

And even with Having to return the TV an hour later, because the First one was cracked when we removed it from the box, buying at walmart was a far easier process.

Avoid the fancy Gimmick "curved" screen

But whatever brand you buy, buy your a Blur Ray/DVD player from the same manufacturer

Also "Sound Bars" are External AMPLIFIED speakers that fit under the TV.

Be aware some manufacturers Use old style electrical speaker connections for connections, Example MY Samsung TV the Audio output is a Stereo 3.5nn Stereo connection (like your Walkman) My LG TV that output is a "toslink" fiber optic cable.... This means that I cannot easily connect other audio devices instead of the purpose designed "sound bar" to the LG...

BOTH of my TV's are separated from the Commercial mains and power surges by running both the TV's and the "cable box" on Uninterruptable Power Supplies
    Partially to protect them from our frequent power failures (typically only a minutes at Time) which might hurt the led TV, but would really annoy me with the typically
    15minute wait while the cable box would take to Reboot.

And Since my Cable box is also a DVR, with the UPS a short power outage does not even disturb an ongoing recording if the central office of the cable company
    (which is in town) is unaffected by the outage.

But then again My 42" LG is connected to my Computer as a Second Monitor and the TV talks back to my Computer's High End Video card and thus to the Digital Audio out to my 300W Altec-Lansing Speaker system that is Loud enough to Stun People (ever hear the Telarc recording of the 1812 Overture?)
    Last edited by AllanD; 12-25-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Anymore the entire tv is made up.of three inexpensive circuit boards and an expensive display panel. Google your model number and problem probably a $75 board. I have fixed.at least a dozen.

With the help from a friend I have the 50 " tv sitting on the mantel and it has a great picture. The wife is happy so I'm happy. The only thing I don't like is we have to use two remotes to operate the thing, one for the tv and one for the satellite control box. I don't do wires or electronics so I guess we will have to live with it.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I don't like is we have to use two remotes to operate the thing, one for the tv and one for the satellite control box.
    Your satellite remote should be able to do both. Our Directv remote does. The tech programed it when he installed the system.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Grand Master

My FIOS remote controls both the box and the TV (Vizio) and it was easy to program with the instructions included.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

TV's ?, Satellite ? , cable? what is this talk? Satellite has been off over a year, TV has been on the blink for almost that long. What is it that you all find interesting to watch? I can't find anything worth wasting my time on..

That being said, the wife is going to preform surgery on the 50 next week . She's good, has fixed the deep freeze, clothes washer, ice maker, I might start hiring her out...

Happy New year all..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast