Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Lee Pro Auto-disk Powder Measure

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I never liked the mechanical motion of the wrap around spring on the pro auto disc, I just use the chain arm/lever and use a spring rather than the chain.
    Attachment 208898
    It's much easier to disconnect the spring and throw a charge manually too

I'm thinking this setup will work on a turret
    On my RCBS Piggyback press I had to use 2 risers so the pm cleared the index rod, so I put a hose clamp on the sizing die and hooked the spring to it .
    This could work on a turret, or find another point to anchor the spring on the turret so that it indexes with it.
    Attachment 208899
    The wrap around spring does look like it would fail quickly, but it took over 100K rounds to break the first one. Think I'd replaced the zinc sleeve/collar thing twice by then. The sheetmetal eared washer piviots back and forth every time you take the measure on/off of a die and will eventually cause the sleeve to crack right there. I keep an extra collar and spring on hand just like I keep extra press parts and decapping pins. I like your adaptation and it looks like you could likely use an easily available spring from ACE. For other presses if you wanted to get fancy you could likely take a piece of 1-1/8" steel strapping, drill a 7/8" hole in it for the die and make a bend far enough away so the die lock nut will turn for an attachment hole. Or go a little thicker and thread it and put it above the lock nut if it doesn't clear the press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    The wrap around spring does look like it would fail quickly, but it took over 100K rounds to break the first one. Think I'd replaced the zinc sleeve/collar thing twice by then. The sheetmetal eared washer piviots back and forth every time you take the measure on/off of a die and will eventually cause the sleeve to crack right there. I keep an extra collar and spring on hand just like I keep extra press parts and decapping pins. I like your adaptation and it looks like you could likely use an easily available spring from ACE. For other presses if you wanted to get fancy you could likely take a piece of 1-1/8" steel strapping, drill a 7/8" hole in it for the die and make a bend far enough away so the die lock nut will turn for an attachment hole. Or go a little thicker and thread it and put it above the lock nut if it doesn't clear the press.
    Take a close look at the sleeve where the lever arm contacts it, it's a knife edge, something I rounded off to get a smoother action.

That and the lever being a stamped part also has a knife edge where it contacts/activates the sleeve.
    The edge of a stamped part (lever arm) has one 3rd of it's thickness as shear and two 3rds break and is never 90 degrees.
    That's another edge I stone smooth and perpendicular for a smoother running measure.
    It never hangs up anymore.
    Rigged like this I can easily disconnect the spring and hand throw a charge to weigh.
    I actually throw 10 charges and take an average.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MirrorS.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	228569

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12