RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moose with lightweight 45-70 boolit?

Boolit Master
    4 of 5 .45-70 bullets used on a moose in the Yukon. These are 40:1

Boolit Master

BrentD
    Is the pack out the bones a rule to discourage bear attraction?

I am really surprised 40:1 did not upset more, I would have thought it to be pretty soft, not questioning, just really SURPRISED.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    No, the packing out of bones is to ensure that all the meat is salvaged. By law, the last part of the carcass to leave the kill site must be the antlers. Alaska is serious about not wasting meat.

I was pretty surprised about the lack of expansion and exits as well. The one bullet that exited followed nearly the identical track of the preceding bullet. The well mushroomed bullet was a rather unnecessary coup de grace shot into the back of the neck which stopped after shattering the axial vertebra.

Wait.

Nobody had a comment about that "medium size" heart?! I almost did a backflip when I saw that!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master
    David, it is huge, and yet, until you have stood over a warm, dead bull moose with a knife in your hand, you just can't comprehend how big they really are.

Boolit Master
    SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master
    I have always wanted to hunt moose
    I hear the meat is fabulous however after seeing
    and listening to what is involved I may pass unless
    I have a herd of packers which may not be a bad idea
    because there is certainly enough meat to go around
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    white eagle, for me, hunting that moose in Alaska was the culmination of a 50-yr dream. I'd like to do it again, but at least I have done it once.
    If you want, you can read the whole story here: http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7311

So, get to it. Do it now! You will never regret going. You will regret NOT going

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The best place to shoot a moose is on dry ground near your fork lift and truck .

I saw pictures of one taken in BC in a GMC 2500 bed . The head was turned up the door corner post on the drivers side and the horns were over the driver's door almost to the outside mirror the hocks were hanging of the tail gate almost on the ground . It looked like a Rocky mountain elk in an S10 except that it was a moose in a full size 3/4 ton 8' bed .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance
    Some moose is shot where you can get to them with something that will lift them, but it is a low percentage. One was shot on our log sale, picked it up with the log shovel to dress it.
    A friend got one a couple of years ago, close enough to a road he was able to use his argo and winch it up on a trailer to bring it to town and use the lift on the service truck.
    The guys my SIL hunts with uses a rollagon to go 105 miles from the road to camp, it has a lift on it, and you can always (usually) drive up to a moose with it, but I would say 99.9 % has to be processed and packed out, the distance varies.

The gut pile itself draws bears, so leaving the bones would not make any difference there. In some areas you can debone the meat, but folks have been fined for sloppy deboning and leaving too much meat on them. The really sad thing is, you can throw the meat in a dumpster when you get to town, the law says you have to harvest it, it says nothing about having to eat it. If I am not mistaken it is also illegal to feed it to the dogs too, but you can throw it away or give it away.

Boolit Master

The two moose I have shot in NH and ME with a .54 round ball that weighed 230 or so grains both dies in 50 yards after full penetration.

I would have no problem using my 1895 Marlin 45-70 with a 300 or 350 grain bullet. Or I would just use the normal 405 with a black powder velocity. Shoot them up close and personal or go with a modern caliber gun like a .303 Brit or a 30-06

Boolit Master
    from personnel experience I can tell you if you really feel that you want to shoot a moose the " BEST PLACE" is in the back of of your truck, unless you have some sort of fetish for the work out of 2 lifetimes they are not going to die anywhere that is remotely convienent if at all possible!!! They like a trophy whitetail heartshot " WILL run to the thickest nastiest tick infested piece of floating bog /swamp where nothing but a sikorski/huey helicopter could get to and a seal team would flat out say unh unh not gonna happen. Then they will swim out into open water and proceed to die while slowly sinking into a bottomless pit of mud. HOWEVER if you do recover one they are unequeled table fare that can be shared (theres lots to go around) and you have the respect of anyone else who has done the same (been there done that you don't fool me with that it was a good time) Think I'll go again this fall with my 45-70 and try it again just to be sure its what I remember.

Boolit Buddy
    Those moose will get you if you aren't careful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moose hunting.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Northern Ontario one hunt a friend shot one with a 30-06 (j-word). He had hit a branch and wasn't sure if he got it but I had been talking at camp about an article where someone had shot dowels at distances to see if they really deflected the shot and it turns out that they don't deflect much actually. So he went to look in the bush and sitting on the edge of a small lake was mr bull standing in about 3 ft of water looking up at him. He finished it there. We had to cut small tree's and quarter it to get him out of lake/bush. I was inside chest cavity with hatchet cutting off spine so head could be separated. I'm 6', about 220 pounds. We figured he was about 1280 lbs. He was massive. So yeh, they are big animals to say the least.

I've got the lee 340 gr, 450gr and 500gr molds. I've decided that if I go hunting bear/moose etc, the 450 on top of some 3031 is the stump puller I'll be using. Either out of the henry lever action or the H&R buffalo classic as they both hold 1" groups at 100 yds off the bags and it hits hard.

Good luck no matter what you choose, but I would vote for heavier slug, slower moving. It decimated the buffalo so not much in NA it wont stop.

Peace

Boolit Mold
    I've been hunting moose here in Alaska for over 25 years. Used 30-06, 338WM, 338ME, 45-70 and 50-2 1/2 Sharps aka 50-90. The 50 Sharps by far is the best moose round I've found. I'm using a 500-515 bullet at 1500fps. Stopped in far side Rt ham after going through about 4 1/2 feet of moose. Put him on the ground faster than anything else I've used. Second shot, because he regained his feet, was through the back at a downward angle at the hump and pulverized two vertebra with full penetration. Found bullet was mushroomed and weighed 80% of original weight. Bullet was pure lead, greased with SPG and used 5744 powder because I can't get Black very easily here in Southeast Alaska. I would use this rifle and load on bison or brown bear without reservation. That said, the 338ME with factory gummy bear bullets did wonderfully too. JimClick image for larger version. 

Name:	JIM'S BULL 02-1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	216449

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123