Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Swage ammo for airgun use ,

Swage ammo for airgun use ,

well for some time I've been developing some swage ammo in 22 cal and 25 cal ammo for airgun use
    well these are a couple of them . In the picture the 33 grain hollow point with a 2-S nose on the left
    and on the right is the 22.5 grain hollow point .

This is a pic of the 25 cal 33 grain shot at 50 yards the gun was a stock
    Daystate Air Ranger with a choked barrel and that is a one inch dot with 5 shots .

This is a picture of the 22 cal and weighs in at 22.5 grain shot at 50 yards this is 10 shots
    the black dot is 1/2 inch and the gun was my Daystate Air Wolf 22 cal with a choked barrel .
    I'm not sure what happened with that one low shot it was the first shot taken my bad probably .

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Excellent work. A couple of years back I did the same thing. In fact, my home made/swagged .22 pellets turned out almost exactly like the ones on the left pictured above. I made an accompanying slug mold with adjustments that allowed me to cast cylindrical slugs that could be dialed in to weigh anywhere between 13 to 26 grains.

I tested as many different weight slugs as I care to remember and the ones that shot the best in my break barrel came in at the 17.something grain weight. By putting the pre-determined weighted slug into my swaging die I was able to get some fairly consistent weights from pellet to pellet. Out of my air rifle they shot pretty darn good but only out to about the 25 yard mark. Beyond that and my groups started to scatter.

I think if I was getting slightly higher velocities out of my rifle with this shape of pellet I'd be able to maintain better accuracy. Because this pellet shape is not the conventional wasp-waisted shuttle-cock type on the outside geometry, these bullet shaped pellets don't self-stabilize as they fly through the air when shot from my break barrel rifle at lower velocities or beyond a certain range. I think they loose stability beyond 25 yards. They are also just a tad longer than conventional pellets. This generally means that a tighter twist or higher velocity is needed.

HollowPoint