MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationPBcastcoLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Took 1st place in a local woods walk today: Was I Ever Surprised!

Smile Took 1st place in a local woods walk today: Was I Ever Surprised!

Went to a very well attended woods walk today (23 - 24 shooters; 16 shots total) and was really surprised to win 1st place as my offhand BP shooting of late has been pretty poor. I think a change in meds (reduced!) helped as did holding and aiming the rifle during the week prior to today's event. However, this wasn't a "slam dunk" as I had patch/RB problems today. To wit, I determined several months ago that my .50cal. Lyman GPR shoots best from the bench with a .492" RCBS RB which I cast, + .021" muslin patches. Unfortunately they were unbelievably difficult to start and seat. On the verge of panic over having such a miserable combination, I figured I had nothing to lose by using the 100% cotton flannel cleaning strip I brought with me. Voila! It worked...in spades! Btw, I used a saliva as a patch lube and had no fouling issues for the remaining 14 shots. Also, I used Wano Scheutzen FFFg powder @ 55rgr. (vol.) and had no trouble reaching the 70 yd. targets.

Boolit Master

Congrats on a nice recovery from a panic and good shooten'.

Boolit Master

Great, and congrats on the win and the quick thinking
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Very good. well done.

Boolit Grand Master

Well we all have our good and bad days. You got a good one. Congrats!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Well done! Sounds like you came up with a quick cure for tight balls that worked well! Hmmm . . . maybe I worded that wrong?

It's nice when things come together and you have a good day! Just remember - someone has to be first and someone has to be last but the important thing is that everyone has fun!

you should be very proud, as we all are of you congrats

Smile

All, Thanks for the kind words! Today was the first time I placed first and am happy that I didn't wobble before I took my shots. Next time I use the GPR, I'll use a slightly different RB diameter and my always reliable .018" patch.

Boolit Master

Congrats!!!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Good for you, maybe you just needed a little friendly competition to put you back on par!

Super Moderator

..............Well congratulations Paul. You didn't wear that beaded breechcloth, those raggedy old moccasins and the beanie with the propeller on top this time didja? It was a bit much for the spectators last time as I recall.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

way to go, paul - congrats!

Smile

Thanks again, Rob. And no, Rick I dressed "normally" except for the breech cloth (day glow orange, not beaded this time!).

Banned

and ya did it with a "lowly" GPR .50, too.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Blind hogs and acorns, eh? ;o)

Congratulations!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats brother on a great shooting event and coming out on top

Smile

Yep Rob, a lowly GPR, which happens to be scary accurate and 100% reliable.

Ric, Thanks! While I haven't placed first before, I have been in the winners circle fairly consistently (if you don't count the medication induced F-ups for my last 2 outings). Weather permitting, I plan on using the Isaac Haines at our 12/17 shoot (North Ulster County Muzzleloaders). The GPR was sort of a test bed for my offhand shooting skills (or lack thereof) since I've done pretty well with it in the past. I can only hope I've surmounted the learning curve with the Isaac Haines.

Btw, the beaded breech cloth I used to wear (LOL!) was too distracting and uncomfortable to be of further use. Oh, did I mention the beads were on the inside?