Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
PBcastco Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rb patch material

Boolit Master

Rb patch material

I have some blue striped pillow ticking. And it seems a bit thick for my 50. But ok for my 54. What should i look for at the fabric store for slightly thinner material?

Boolit Grand Master

You need to measure. There is no industry standard for pillow ticking. You could maybe have mattress ticking which is thicker. If you can't measure then take a swatch along. You may be able to tell by feel if it's thinner or not. Yes, Pillow ticking does come in slightly different thicknesses.
    Aim small, miss small!

What mooman said! Also, some pillow ticking is thin, .e.g., .014" compressed while mattress ticking runs ~.024". While you're looking, check out pocket drill and 7 oz. 100% cotton denim, which measures .016" compressed.

Boolit Master

when you find what works best for you, go back quick and buy a bunch more (like maybe 6 or 7 yards). you won't be sorry.

Boolit Master
    Cotton muslin cloth.
    it can be in varying thickness' much like the above named pillow ticking.
    you can also try denim
    I recently went on a venture to find the thinnest muslin, and it was the 'premium muslin', it was measured at .006"
    My pillow ticking was .018", muslin was .015" and the premium muslin was .006
    You just have to take your calipers or mics to a good fabric store and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post

I have some blue striped pillow ticking. And it seems a bit thick for my 50. But ok for my 54.

Did you wash the ticking 2x with soap/water to remove the factory sizing, and what are you lubing the patches with ?

IME, those 2 things alone can be the difference between loading effort being easy/hard.

Patch thickness usually has more to do with relative accuracy than anything else.

While I've never tried it, some folks get excellent results from like-washed denim.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    YES, WASHED AND ALL THAT. i DO NOT REMEMBER WHAT THE LUBE WAS. i THINKD IT WAS WONDERLUBE1000 LIKE I SAID..... TIGHT FOR THE 50 BUT JUST RIGHT FOR THE 54.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Someone on here pointed out recently, also, that a smaller RB will work well with thinner patching (or thicker) once the bore's fouled from multiple shots; I"m still re-learning about BP "Smokepoles", but that's making sense now that I've reheard it. (Hoping I heard it before anyways.) I got some .480 RBs for the 50 cal, I'll use those once it's fouled, makes sense...

Boolit Master
    The deeper the rifling grooves, the thicker the patch
    The shallower the grooves, the thinner the patch

Ball diameter has nothing to do with it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Cotton muslin cloth.
    it can be in varying thickness' much like the above named pillow ticking.
    you can also try denim
    I recently went on a venture to find the thinnest muslin, and it was the 'premium muslin', it was measured at .006"
    My pillow ticking was .018", muslin was .015" and the premium muslin was .006
    You just have to take your calipers or mics to a good fabric store and check it out.
    This!!

When i can't find ticking I like.. I fall back to muslin.. especially for real tight ball to bore fits.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Mic the cloth reasonably tight. This gives compressed thickness (x2). If you can find a piece of whatever you used before check it. Check all 100% non-synthetic cloth to find a match. Write down on the end of cloth bolt compressed thickness. When you find what you need, buy a fee yards. Wash 2x to remove sizing. Per Dutch Schultz @ black powderaccuracy.com if memory serves. Best $20 investment ever! (Or less, don’t remember)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I load tight loads and like the results I get with them. In my .50 I load a .490" ball patched with either mattress ticking, .020" strongly compressed or cotton canvas duck, .022" strongly compressed. I've also used 10oz denim, .024" compressed but prefer the first two materials. For lube it's hard to beat TOW's mink oil and that goes for Hoppes #9 BP lube. By shooting these tight loads there is never a need to swab the bore in an entire afternoon. Loading tight is easier if the muzzle crown is first smoothed with sandpaper using the thumb and turning the barrel to get uniform radius.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    What i have currently is not mattress ticking..... Not that thick. If i apply light torque between my thumb and index finger ... The mic runs down to 16 tho. Blue stripes.

Boolit Master
    I will try to get down to the fabric store next day or 2 and look for the red stripe and measure it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Blue strip ticking is the standard. I always find the proper mold to work with the ticking, rather than juggling patches.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    with speer swaged rb, i really have to lean on the ball starter, and in some cases resort to a hammer.

Boolit Master

I've shot thousands with patches from an old flannel shirt. Find some that fits snug, but not so tight you struggle to get it started. I've the pillow ticking and muslin too. Didn't make any difference.

Boolit Master

30ys ago that's all I used was an old cotton tshirt in my range bag. Prb thru a cheapy knight inline using oyrodex-rs and I had no problem ventilating milk jugs at the 100 yard line using iron sights.

Here's another source of fabrics suitable for patching (It's also reputed to have thicker pillow ticking): https://www.onlinefabricstore.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast