RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offhand Shooting & Prescription Meds

Offhand Shooting & Prescription Meds

All, Since May '17, I've noticed my offhand shooting, specifically steadiness, has declined. (I should add, I was never the best offhand shot.) My urologist doubled 1 med and added another, which seemed to be the source of the problem. Now that I'm finished with that regimen, I've experienced less dizziness and much better offhand target results. In short, if your shooting has gone south as mine had, you may want to check your meds. Btw, I took 1st place in a woods walk today v. abysmally for the 2 previous ones.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your win and your recovery. May you have many wins in the future.

Thumbs up

Thank you, quilbilly!

Boolit Master

Side effects suck. My brother shakes a fair bit these days. Far to many pills that he is on.

Boolit Master

A noticeable degradation of your steadiness (wobble area) will cause you to "snatch" or jerk the trigger. The end result is much worse than the initial lose in wobble area.

Boolit Buddy
    Old age did it for me, bench and prone still good but offhand at 76 went south

Boolit Master
    Ace inhibitors messed with my offhand and working outside. Went to beta blockers and offhand came back and the sweating isn't near as bad. Messes with my asthma but regular exercise helps that.

Pretty much done offhand..80 years and some breathing issues and meds make my offhand shooting more of a pattern than a grouping...still use my little "Pistolero" shooting rest and sit at the bench...and I shoot more rifle off the bench than I did...and the beat goes on.

Boolit Master
    I took some gabapentin for my neuropathy. I stopped it quickly when I found out that it took me to never- Neverland and tried to keep me there. I wouldn't even attempt to drive.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    We are talking about firearms rite?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Effects of prescription meds on shooting, pretty close. I found that Gabapentin zombified one family member some years back, so I avoid that med family.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    We are talking about firearms rite?
    Yep. If you can't drive you surely can't shoot..........not safely anyway.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    All, Since May '17, I've noticed my offhand shooting, specifically steadiness, has declined. (I should add, I was never the best offhand shot.) My urologist doubled 1 med and added another, which seemed to be the source of the problem. Now that I'm finished with that regimen, I've experienced less dizziness and much better offhand target results. In short, if your shooting has gone south as mine had, you may want to check your meds. Btw, I took 1st place in a woods walk today v. abysmally for the 2 previous ones.
    Question for you. At NCBS I sponsor and event called the "practical rifle shoot" which is 10 rounds in 3 minutes with iron sights offhand at a mystery distance. This thread is making me rethink that a bit for us old geezers (i assume we are both geezers). With your meds, were you still able to shoot OK with cross sticks or a tall monopod?
    Last edited by quilbilly; 12-05-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Sometimes shakiness can be unrelated to meds. An extended bout with thyroid cancer (first surgery in 2004) ended with the total removal of my thyroid and one lymph node plus Radioactive Iodine 150 at age 69 in 2009, finished off any steadiness for me. Nissen Fundoplication in 2008 and prostate cancer in 2012 did not help any either. Not only am I shaky and can no longer handle the extremes of heat or cold, a good sneeze can bring on any number of consequences all at once that necessitates a change of clothes, especially underwear. But I'm still loading and shooting. Have also taken on a tutoring class for mainly rifle reloaders in a nearby Church of Christ/Christian Church. Never give up! Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    I can sympathize with you, Big Boomer.....but the shaking hasn't gotten to me yet. Tired comes fairly quickly though....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I took some gabapentin for my neuropathy. I stopped it quickly when I found out that it took me to never- Neverland and tried to keep me there. I wouldn't even attempt to drive.......
    Tom I've been on that for a month now & I'm going to stop it as the med has done absolutely nothing for me.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I predict a lot more problems with drugs as doctors are being pushed to put most of us old folks on blood pressure meds. Almost all my peers put on those have problems with fainting, dizziness, and feeling lightheaded.

Boolit Master
    Have had high blood pressure since 2000. It is under control. When ever I was given a choice I always asked for beta blockers. Will keep me out of the Olympics but so will the steroids i get as part of my chemo. Any way the beta blockers have kept me from shaking . I still shoot fairly straight. Us old people on the right meds have an edge when shooting. We deserve it!

Duckkiller, Just remember that old age and treachery will defeat youth and inexperience every time!

Boolit Master

When I was shooting competition I took vitamin B1, B6 and B12 that are known to help stabilize the nervous system.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast