WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry tube feed VS. Loading gate

The Henry 45 Colt holds 10 + 1, just what are you hunting that would require you to load on the run?

Which brings up another question. Do the pistol caliber rifles have to have plugs installed to be legal for hunting? Most States limit it to 3 or 5 in the rifle. Hadn't thought about that til just now. Glad I haven't been stopped. I load all the pistol type to the max. Yikes.

Boolit Buddy
    here in Ohio you are only allowed 3 rounds in the rifle, so reloading will be a issue in the woods. Besides I buy what I like and I don't like tube loading like .22 rifles.

Boolit Buddy

I have both tube and gate loading rifles. I like the Henry tube as it not only loads very easy without scraping bullets and brass, it seems to handle a wider overall cartridge length variation as its loading system is simpler. Also I can't help but think the receiver is very strong as there is no hole cut into it for loading rounds. I like my Marlins and the Winchester as well but I prefer Henry's system.

Boolit Buddy
    I like being able to top a rifle off without pulling a tube, grab a round and thumb it in while stock is still in your shoulder. but thats personal preference.

Seems to me that for hunting/plinking it doesn't really matter which loading system is used. The quality of the rifle would be more important. The only instance that I can think of where tube loading won't work is Single Action/Cowboy shooting where it's sometimes necessary to reload an extra round during the stage.

Boolit Master

Tube-Fed magazines are fine for .22LR rifles, But GATE-FED is the only way to go for a Center-Fire Rifle. 60yrs plus shooting. MARLIN, WINCHESTER OR japanese/italian made copies. still better than a pot metal henry. Made by someone who USURPED A GREAT HISTORICAL NAME.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Tube-Fed magazines are fine for .22LR rifles, But GATE-FED is the only way to go for a Center-Fire Rifle. 60yrs plus shooting. MARLIN, WINCHESTER OR japanese/italian made copies. still better than a pot metal henry. Made by someone who USURPED A GREAT HISTORICAL NAME.
    Exactly which Henry center fire rifles do you think are made of pot metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Exactly which Henry center fire rifles do you think are made of pot metal?
    I chose to not even respond, you are wasting your breath.

When I was in engraving school my instructors who are very accomplished master engravers. Lee Griffiths and Ron Smith had no good things to say about the brass frame Henry's.Both said density of the metal was so inconsistent they couldn't engrave and get what was acceptable to them.Soft and hard spots everywhere they refuse to engrave brass framed Henry's.

Banned

The .22 receivers are made of a "pot metal" zinc alloy
    Nothing else in their line
    The .22 runs real good and will last just fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    When I was in engraving school my instructors who are very accomplished master engravers. Lee Griffiths and Ron Smith had no good things to say about the brass frame Henry's.Both said density of the metal was so inconsistent they couldn't engrave and get what was acceptable to them.Soft and hard spots everywhere they refuse to engrave brass framed Henry's.
    What were they talking about? The rimfire line where the "brass receiver" is just a cover over the actual receiver? Or were they talking about the center fire rifles that have brass alloy receivers?

Neither indicated which line,CF or RF, both said they would not take them as a client project, specifically the brass receivers. I can inquire and get a answer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12