Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Truck help

Boolit Buddy

Truck help

I know this is a long shot but here goes. My sob story goes like this, Desperate need of a distributor for a 2.0/2.4 sohc (belt drive sohc). have a 88 d50 2wd with an excellent body, came from southern california, never wrecked, soild truck. wanted to fix it up for a reliable work truck but had a cracked head. tried replacing cracked head on what i thought was a 2.4, got a salvage yard head from a 2.4 but had way larger combustion chambers, realized my engine was a 2.0, couldn't find a 2.0 head anywhere so i got a 2.4 from a 92 mitsubishi pickup. bored .5 mm over, crank work, bearings, gaskets, seals, deleted the balance shafts, oil pump, everything but the head. the machine shops head guy was on vacation so when he got back and started to rebuild the head we found it was cracked also. of course the short block was completely done and assembeled by now. tired of cracked heads i got a new stripped head from rock auto, now with the head work complete, engine assembeled with new moly rings, water pump, pilot and clutch release bearing, etc to include a weber replacement carb, went to bolt on the transmission and the newer block is a wide style, my old transmission is a narrow bolt pattern. sourced a wide bolt transmission and while putting everything together in the truck, i somehow zapped the pick up coil, ordered a new pick up coil but the replacement coil from rock auto won't fit. my financal advisor informed me that future funding for the little truck as she calls it is dwindling rapidly. hopefully if someone has one reasonably priced distributor that the budget will allow, please let me know. not wanting a handout, will pay a reasonable price, just if someone has one lying around I sure could use it. thanks for looking.

Boolit Bub
    If the engine came out of a 1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Base - L4 - 2.4L 2351cc GAS MFI vin W - 2 valve SOHC O'Reilly Auto Parts shows
    Part #: MT07 Line: RPT$198.99 Each So you should be able to check with your local auto parts stores and find a rebuilt one. Good Luck

Boolit Buddy
    $200 is a little steep right now, mitsubishi made one distributor and several other mfgs. distributors were installed so getting the right part is a gamble. that's kinda why i'm looking for a complete distributor. here in sw/south central idaho we are hardly over run with salvage yards, actually it's pretty slim pickings. just thought i'd give it a shot, no telling what some people might have lying around. thanks for looking, happy holidays

Hav yo tried autopartsuneed.com? They are a national registry for auto part yards so the part may be anywhere in the US they can get it to you.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Sounds like you have already spent a lot. What's another $200 ?

Sell a gun or 2 !

Banned
    I can't help you with a pick up coil but I agree that you're into it in a big way. Spend the money and get it going. That may require a sacrifice somewhere else.

Boolit Master
    tenx,
    Sounds like you're in the Twin Falls area. I can't help directly with the distributor, but I live in Boise, and might be able to be your eyes around here, if you want something checked out that is in this part of the state. I also travel to the Idaho Falls area fairly often, so if you find something there, I could check that out too!
    Anyway, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    problem solved, while i had hooked up the pick up coil backwards (polarity reversed) and had read that would fry the pick up, mine was ok. of all things it was the spark plugs. when i had ordered rebuild parts i included new plugs. i had ordered bosch, somehow they wouldn't work but when i stuck in some old ngk plugs from my motorcycle, i couldn't believe it, a big fat blue spark. thanks to everyone for helping out. happy holidays.............

Banned
    Good deal. I didn't even think about the plugs but I HAVE run into that exact same problem with Bosch plugs. I once put a new set of Bosch plugs in a Honda Accord and it would not run. Put the old plugs back in and everything was fine. The Bosch plugs were the correct plugs for the application. To this day I don't know what the problem was but it soured me on Bosch spark plugs.

When you get right down to it, there's not much to a spark plug. A cheap plug will light off the mixture just as well as an expensive one. One only difference is how long will it work before the electrodes erode away. An awful lot of advertising goes into spark plugs. The only real difference in plugs is the service life.

In the "For What It's Worth" category, I've always had very good results with Denso & NGK.

Glad you got going, it would have been bad to be divorced and living in a non-running truck