Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Breech Plug Thread Size - Investment Arms Barrel ???

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Breech Plug Thread Size - Investment Arms Barrel ???

I recently picked up a nice used .50 caliber 15/16" Investment Arms Charles Daly barrel to use for a build that a guy was parting out. It's percussion and I got the tang as well - hooked breech. i'm thinking of removing the percussion breech plug and installing a plain hooked breech plug to use with the tang so that I can make it a fainter - possibly a Leman style trade rifle - not sure yet.

Does anyone who has worked with these know the diameter and thread pitch of the breech plug? Standard or metric?

If I have my facts straight, the Investment Arms barrels are used on a number of rifles - Charles Daly, Cabela, Lyman Trade Rifle and the Lyman Great Plains Rifle - i.e. the same breech plugs for both percussion and flint - is that correct or am I wrong?

I'd like to find a flint breech plug to switch out with it so I can retain the tang and be able to easily remove the barrel. I checked with TOW and they don't show any. So am searching but would like to know if someone knows the size of them as I probably won't be able to pull the breech plug out of this barrel until I get back to Michigan in the spring where I have the right tools to do it.

Any information on them would be greatly appreciated. If they user the same breech plug as the other rifles I've mentioned - any suggestion who would carry a flint breech plug (hooked) that would fit it?

EDIT: Found them listed on Gun Parts but still would like know the thread diameter and thread pitch. Looking at them, the breech plug for the flint has the vent liner in the breech plug. Anyone know the size and thread pitch of the vent liner? Thanks!

Thanks!

Jim
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 12-03-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Great Plains breech plug for percussion. I will check it out today. It is metric (no surprise). Get back to you soon.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    I got it for you. Threads are 16X1.5 mm.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thank you n.h. - greatly appreciated!

Jim

Boolit Master