Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 311041 Woes - The Rest of the Story........

Boolit Master

Lyman 311041 Woes - The Rest of the Story........

The story began here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...an-311041-Woes!

Before shipping the mould to Larry Gibson for testing, I was contacted by Dusty Bannister. He suggested I crank the heat to 725 and make 100 pours. He also said to ignore the "whiskers", just pour 'em up and then then mike them at three points around the driving bands- with the parting line as 12 and 6 o'clock, mike them at 1&7, 3&9, and 11&5. Record all the numbers and average them.

Wellllllll.......That mould was a turkey! The average OD was .309" AND it was out of round by .002"! I then shipped the mold to Larry who corrected the block misalignment problem and then ran it with WW metal, Lyman #2 and straight linotype. In the end, his comment to me was "I have now seen a Lyman mould that is both undersize AND out of round." He sent 4 sample boolits cast of linotype when he shipped the mould back and suggested I return it to Lyman, which I did.

I had this mould for over two years, and I explained that to the rep at Lyman. And for all that time I constantly fought with this thing to try to make good boolits. I couldn't believe it when a brand new mould showed up in my mailbox today!! Thank You Lyman!

And a big "Thank You!" to Dusty and Larry!! It's guys like you that make this site the great place that it is!!

Casting will commence after deer season ends, stay tuned..........
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I have had several undersized and out of round Lymans over the years. I just do not chance buying them anymore when for the same money I can buy an NOE mold.
    Better yet for a few dollars more, an Accurate mold which I KNOW will be exactly what I ordered.Right the first time, every time.

I'm happy that Lyman is sending you a new mold. I hope they correct the problem for you.

Good luck and let us know!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

In Remembrance

A few years back I bought a new Lyman #314299 mold. I thought it looked a bit odd as I was washing and cleaning the gunk from it. I had a hot pot of my 50/50 going and after preheating I started. It took about 25 throws before anything I would use dropped out. After I let them cool for a day I miked them at random. The holes were oval shaped and the mold halves were slightly off. I called Lyman and they asked for 5 examples and the mold returned. About 2 months later I got a reworked and rebored mold back along with 5 boolets they cast with it and the ones I sent them all marked up with red marker pen. Both halves now line up and the holes are now circular with the boolets dropping at .314". I say rework because they didn`t reblue the areas they remachined!Robert

Banned

Dusty [not his real name BTW] is a pretty smart feller.
    and a real Gentleman.

well,,,, now half the board won't like him just cause it was me that said it.

Boolit Grand Master

runfiverun

That's okay.......I was enlisted swine......not an officer and a gentleman.........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla