Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: How does the NOE GC expander work?

How does the NOE GC expander work?

I don't see any explanation on their site and my thumbs are pretty sore from horsing on 350+ checks onto stubby little lee soup can 30 cal bullets that seem to be kind of fat bottomed. I could manage the big 35 rem bullets, but the 30 cal were painful.

Moderator Emeritus

The expander Ram fits into the shell holder of your reloading press, you set a GC on the expander Ram, then with the expander Die screwed in your press, you raise the Ram til your GC is pressed against the Die and then the expander Ram flares the GC mouth as you apply pressure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks.

Just got done using a 41cal on about 150 gator checks for PC'ed boolits. Once you get the hang of balancing them on the expander it goes quick. I have 6 calibers and they all work great.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Don't the checks bite onto the expander ram or do they come off easily after expanding? The pictures and the description on the site don't give much information.

I made a set of tools to expand 30 cal Hornady checks and had to make a ejector similar to that found in the RCBS primer pocket crimp remover to get the expanded checks off of the expander. Maybe somebody can post some pics and a description of the NOE?
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus

While I don't have the NOE expander, I do have a 30 cal expander made by the person who came up with the idea, it looks identical in shape. Mine is highly polished and the copper gator and hornady GCs do not bite into, they slide right off after they are expanded.

Photo's of NOE expanders are in his online catalog.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    While I don't have the NOE expander, I do have a 30 cal expander made by the person who came up with the idea, it looks identical in shape. Mine is highly polished and the copper gator and hornady GCs do not bite into, they slide right off after they are expanded.

I visited the website and looked at the pictures again. They are probably newer than when I visited the site last or I was not paying attention. The taper on the die is larger than what I made so it should not bite. Hmm, I'll get back to the shop and turn a new punch.

I'm still irritated that the Hornady 30 cal checks have a concave dome at the base of the checks, not like the 44 and 45 cal checks that are convex. I flatten that out using the tool I made so they fit flush to the shanks of my CB's.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

If you anneal the Hornady checks they will flatten out when you size. All my 30cal GCs stick to the tool.
    Whatever!

Most of the gator checks I use stick a little but not a problem you just hook a finger nail on an edge and pick them off. If you don't get them on relatively straight you'll crush a side ruining the GC. I have found that if I put the check on the expander and slowly raise the ram it will self center most of the time. The other thing they do is flatten the bottom of the GC if it is concave or convex.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I have several calibers of the NOE check expanders and it's a great thumb saver. I find that it is pretty easy to over expand the checks so when I'm setting up I install the expander and raise the ram to the top of the stroke then bring the opposing face down until it just touches. At this point adjust downward very small steps at a time until check snaps on without undo force, just enough to get them on. In this manner you won't mangle the checks. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    Solution ?
    plain base boolits !
    A perfectly fine solution so long as you are willing to stick to plain base velocities. Which for me seems to be around the 1400 fps level with 30 cal. boolits.

Threads like this make give me warm fuzzy feelings for my old Star which pops the gc onto even the fat-butted boolits with no drama.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 10 sizes of this cool little tool. All bullet bases are NOT created equal.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

I too have one in 30 cal made by Brad. Very handy tool to have.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

I just took a pair of vise grips and ground the jaw smooth and use them to squeeze on tight checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I don't see any explanation on their site and my thumbs are pretty sore from horsing on 350+ checks onto stubby little lee soup can 30 cal bullets that seem to be kind of fat bottomed. I could manage the big 35 rem bullets, but the 30 cal were painful.