MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bisley Longhead

Bisley Longhead

I went out yesterday hoping to get a good eating doe for the freezer and canning. I had gotten a buck during Illinois first firearm season but like to get two deer a year to allow us to eat plenty , put some up, and share with friends. I decided to hunt a spot on our land that has been good over the years for second season. I am the 7th generation on this land and have hunted it for many years. What looks like a patch of scrub timber and fields is a living thing to me. It gives us food, entertainment, and spiritual nutrition. I got the climber strapped on and secured and waited for daylight. Here is the view from the standClick image for larger version. 

Name:	resized sunrise.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	208763.

The turkey that roost in our woods began the morning discussion about who was going to fly down first and check for coyotes. Turkey politics involves a lot of discussion and takes a while so it was pretty noisy. Mrs. Thumbcocker had gotten me a set of electronic hearing protectors because my right ear is still ringing after shooting the buck the weekend before Thanksgiving. I turned around to see if eh noise behind me was a squirrel or a deer. Around 7:00 I heard steps in the leave to my left. The electronic muffs help with sound but you can't always tell which direction it is coming from. 4 does came up the draw to my left. One stopped facing toward me. I could tell that she was a mature doe. I wasn't able to use anything for a rest so I shot from a sitting position with a two handed hold. I was holding on her chest but the sights crept up a little just as I started the squeeze. I had a very good sight picture so I went ahead and followed through. She dropped at the shot. Another doe turned broadside and I could have shot her but we had all the meat we needed for the year. I yelled at the second doe to leave and started down the tree. When I got to the doe I shot she was still alive, the shot had taken her in the center of neck above the chest. I shot her again in the heart and talked to her to help her die as best I could. Here she is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized longhead 2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	208764.

If you wonder why we call them longheads this kind of explains it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized longhead.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	208765

I was by myself so I made one trip to where the edge of the field meets the woods carrying my climbing stand, heavy coat, and possibles bag. I drug her out in stages. I had to go up and down two hills and across a small dry creek. Not complaining I'm a big boy and knew what I was signing up for when I dropped the hammer. I drug her out in 4 pulls and then went to get the truck. I loaded her and took her in to the processor.

The shot was 48 yards according to the rangefinder standing next to her and ranging the tree I was in. The load was the same one I have used the last several years NOE Ranchdog 265RNFP cast of WDWW and loaded over 22.0 0f 296. Starline brass and Russian primers. Lube was Ben's red. Nothing especially exciting or fancy just a proven load that works. I have never chronoaphed the load and don't really care what speed it is going.

My 2017 deer season is done. We will can a bunch of stew meat, have plenty of steaks and backstrap, and plenty to share with friends. Definitely a good year.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Amazing view from your stand .sounds like a great hunt

Vendor Sponsor
    I have read many of your posts, but don't recall your caliber of choice in the Bisley.

Boolit Buddy

My admiration to you sir. I too have talked to dying game. I think it soothes us more than them.

.44 Bisley
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    We'll done, Sir, and a story well told. I almost felt like I was there with you (wishful thinking on my part as a new position necessitated choosing work over hunting this season).

Have a blessed Christmas season,
    John

Boolit Master

Great job and hunt. I have a Bisley as well,45Colt. Love it.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Was hoping the full moon wouldn't jinx you,,,,, I had to laugh about the turkeys. Yesterday morning, once it got light, I shifted in the stand and I got reprimanded from 15 feet over my head and then she shook the tree blasting out to fly 100 yards and start calling assembly.

Glad you had a good season!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Vendor Sponsor
    A doe walks into bar and the bartender says "Why the long face"? ta da dmp.

Boolit Master
    I kinda miss the turkey discussions when I hunt deer now, I relocated about 12yrs ago and there no turkeys here or hardwoods. Your post brings back memories of crisp leaves on the forest floor and that smell of the leaves as they are drying up. Its all softwood here its good but its not the old homestead. Thanks for kindleing the memories...

Nice work indeed.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon Thumbcocker and Congratulations !
    East ILLinois does provide some blessed places to pop corn crunchers. Doe meat is a fine way to get through those cold windy days.
    Your area looks a lot like the river bottom areas we hunt north of Danville when we are up north.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Great story but I have one question, how can you have plenty of backstraps and steak for a year and still have plenty to share with friends with two deer?
    I can’t do that with 6.

Some from last year and only me and Mrs. Thumbcocker at the house. Mrs. Thumbcocker got a button buck with my truck. We call that one the Toyota deer.

Boolit Master

Congrats on a great hunt and filling that last bit of meat needed for the upcoming year.
    I call them horse head does. Mature and typically larger than most.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!