Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Flux one more time...

Flux one more time...

Short story first. My Pop was a Printer, linotype, monotype kind of guy. When I was a kid I went with him on the weekends sometimes to help at the shop. I remember helping him smelt the scrap lead down to make pigs. He always used a stick of what I recall looking like a blue stick of butter to clean and flux with. It was a very large pot with a bottom pour fwiw.

For the last 25 years I've been a telco wireline worker, working with lead sleeves and cables for part of my duties. The stuff we use to flux with and apply to clean lead to aide in soldering is called Stearine. When we order it at work it always came in a box with no manufacturer info. I've searched unsuccessfully several times to find it elsewhere. So on occasion a stick or two .. you know.

Just got an order of it yesterday, low and behold in a bag with where it came from .

This stuff really works well as it is designed to.

Couple of links in case you're interested.

http://gmptools.com/nf/04320.htm

http://craftworktools.com/nsearch.ht...94687278978085

Later
    I may not post a lot, with the wealth of knowledge here it's better to appear stupid than to open my mouth and prove it. I'll just keep reading and learning.

Boolit Grand Master

I've always wondered what those old time printers used for flux. I'm just not sure that we want to put any type of acid flux in our pots.

Boolit Master
    Steric acid is a fatty acid separated from beef fat from the kidney area. This fat is called suet and is available from a butcher or meat processor if you don't want to use just the static acid. Sterile is also available from candle and soap making suppliers.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 12-02-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: =$%<8*[ auto correct.

Boolit Master

Stearic acid is not a strong acid. It is used in soap production and can be used in making Felix lube in lieu of Ivory soap.

Banned

your local pharmacist can get you stearic acid.
    or you can use sodium stearate by shaving or grating some ivory soap.

I think vitaflux is still available that's what our local shop used I still have a tube or two of it kicking around here.
    it's a medium or darker blue color and is soft stuff. [probably bees-wax based]

Boolit Master
    I have to ask,
    do you melt Ivory soap & beeswax to make this loob you'r talking about??