Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Got another with home brew 20 ga slug

Got another with home brew 20 ga slug

Headed out to the woods after work today. I used my slug load which consist of an Ohaus 58 cal hollow base boolit in a AA wad on top of a charge of Unique. The slug leaves the muzzle only slightly over 1200 fps, but it sure makes the deer go down when fired from the old H&R.

Sighted in at 75 yards, I typically limit my shots to about 100 yards as it starts dropping like mad much beyond that distance, he was every bit of 100 yards. I must admit, I lead this one a little too far as he was moving, however the neck shot took him down. 2nd deer with the home brew slug!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171201_162957.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	208748
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    Nice !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

great shot

Boolit Grand Master
    Gotta love those H&R's. Does that have a rifled barrel, or is it a smooth bore? I like the way you think. It doesn't have to be shoulder breaking mongomagnumblaster to be ethical/effective.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Gotta love those H&R's. Does that have a rifled barrel, or is it a smooth bore? I like the way you think. It doesn't have to be shoulder breaking mongomagnumblaster to be ethical/effective.
    It's the Tracker II rifled barrel. I previously owned the ultra slug, but like a fool I sold it when the prices skyrocketed. Nice profit, however finding a replacement has been difficult.

I wanted a slug anyone in my family could pick up and use without being punished by recoil or hit too hard in the wallet. We hunt a thick woodsy area and it is effective in our limited shooting range. Thanks for the compliments!

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    Headed out to the woods after work today. I used my slug load which consist of an Ohaus 58 cal hollow base boolit in a AA wad on top of a charge of Unique. The slug leaves the muzzle only slightly over 1200 fps, but it sure makes the deer go down when fired from the old H&R.

Sighted in at 75 yards, I typically limit my shots to about 100 yards as it starts dropping like mad much beyond that distance, he was every bit of 100 yards. I must admit, I lead this one a little too far as he was moving, however the neck shot took him down. 2nd deer with the home brew slug!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171201_162957.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	208748
    Nice little buck!

I have a similar Tracker H&R. Do you fill the hollow base with anything or put something in the bottom of the wad to support the bullet skirt? Are you casting these of pure or some other alloy? What kid of groups do you get at 75 yards?

Boolit Master

Great job! I just got back from a hunt and will post similar results tomorrow. Big Lead Baby!!!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

Curious about boolet lube and how much Unique was used?Robert

In Remembrance

Very nice results. I would be curious about lube on the minie bullet and how much of a load of Unique did you use.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Nice shooting, you don't waste any meat with a shot like that.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Very nice results. I would be curious about lube on the minie bullet and how much of a load of Unique did you use.Robert
    I used a little alox on the outside of the AA wad to help push it and minie in at the 20ga shell same time, otherwise it wanted to gall up on the 20ga AA casing and sometimes crush it. No lube on the minie itself, I just let the wad engage the rifling like a sabot. Started out using Herco because that was on my shelf, but ended up settling on 16 gr of Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66
    I have a similar Tracker H&R. Do you fill the hollow base with anything or put something in the bottom of the wad to support the bullet skirt? Are you casting these of pure or some other alloy? What kid of groups do you get at 75 yards?
    I started out putting a 3/8 .410 fiber wad in the hollow base using an arbor press, but found as the fiber wad expanded it tended opened the crimp up on the 20 ga shell casing. I ended up using hot glue to fill the base and shaving it off flush with a razor. Interesting enough the wad/minie to rifling fit was better with WW instead of pure lead, after inspecting a few fired wads that idea/fact proved to be true...so I went with WW in my castings. I have a few targets in the write-ups from 2015 and there are further details on load data. I went to a range with a concrete bench and 3 shots were touching or nearly touching, however I cannot find the picture as we got new phones Thanksgiving 2015, the pics must be on the old phone. At such a low muzzle velocity the minie drops off like mad at longer ranges. If memory serves me correctly, it is consistent in accuracy, but a whole sheet of paper low at 150 yards, again those pics are on my old phone. I will attempt to locate them as a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Below are the write-ups from 2015 for those who may be interested.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ss-for-hunting

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...irst-this-year!

In Remembrance

I am now wanting to make and try this load. Is hot glue still used to fill the hollow base of the minie? Has this load combo been tried in a smooth unrifled barrel, if so how did it work then?Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I am now wanting to make and try this load. Is hot glue still used to fill the hollow base of the minie? Has this load combo been tried in a smooth unrifled barrel, if so how did it work then?Robert
    Hot glue is still used. I have never fired it through a smoothie, would be interesting to see the results. As a safety precaution, I pushed a boolit/wad into the muzzle end of the barrel to verify fit, before any loads were assembled. I suppose a paper target would let you know if the minie had started to tumble by a tell tale keyhole. Just thinking out loud....sounds Interesting! Let us know how turns out!!!

My only other thoughts were to possibly try a hotter powder to increase the fps for longer range purposes. Although, that would defeat the family friendly 1200 fps / mild recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice.
    "Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
    DRSS
    Whomper's Club
    BASA (Big Bore Association of Southern Africa)
    470 NE DR
    45-70 DR/ 12 ga Paradox
    450 NE #1 SR
    577 NE Falling Block SR
    20 ga. Schimmel/Simson DR
    12 Bore DR WW Greener

Boolit Master
    Which bullet mold are you using?

Lee lists two at .575", one at 472gr, other at 500gr. Another at .578" at 478gr.
    I'm looking to try one also.

I'm using the Lyman 350gr "pellet" mold over Hodgdon LongShot. I haven't chrono'd them yet but expect 1,250-1,300fps.

By cutting off the shot cup from a CB AA wad, and cushion from a RP20 I'm able to get better accuracy and more powder in the shell, and maintains a good crimp.
    My hunting buddy got a button buck back in October with one of my loads. Due to hunting and holidays, I haven't been able to do a lot of testing. Will do more later.
    We're shooting them through Savage 220's.
    I got an 8pt with mine, but was using Federal 7/8oz Sabot slugs. I plan to convert over to mine. They're 1/5 as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Which bullet mold are you using?
    Ohaus mold #58400M, but Lyman has similar 58 Caliber Molds.

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Lee lists two at .575", one at 472gr, other at 500gr. Another at .578" at 478gr.
    I'm looking to try one also.

I'm using the Lyman 350gr "pellet" mold over Hodgdon LongShot. I haven't chrono'd them yet but expect 1,250-1,300fps.

By cutting off the shot cup from a CB AA wad, and cushion from a RP20 I'm able to get better accuracy and more powder in the shell, and maintains a good crimp.
    My hunting buddy got a button buck back in October with one of my loads. Due to hunting and holidays, I haven't been able to do a lot of testing. Will do more later.
    We're shooting them through Savage 220's.
    I got an 8pt with mine, but was using Federal 7/8oz Sabot slugs. I plan to convert over to mine. They're 1/5 as expensive.
    I believe the Savage 220's to be fine guns. I have often thought of purchasing one myself. Let us know how your testing goes, I'm curious to know how it does over the Chrony too.