RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester 1876 50-95

Banned

Winchester 1876 50-95

I was looking at this Winchester it would be my first lever gun its in decent shape with finish all turned to brown patina I was wondering what the price range is for these rifles?? ballpark is fine

Attachment 208743Attachment 208744Attachment 208745Attachment 208746Attachment 208747
    Last edited by Discus420; 12-03-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Was it at a Gun Show ?????
    Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    Was it at a Gun Show ?????
    Ol Deuce
    No its at a pawn shop Can you estimate a price for me please????? They got it tagged at 3800$ I just need to know if this is crazy money or if that's realistic??
    Last edited by Discus420; 12-01-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    They got it tagged at 3800$ I just need to know if this is crazy money or if that's realistic??
    Original Winchester model 1876's in 50-95 are scarce and are routinely priced as such.

The functional ones I've looked at were priced between $6000.00 and $10,000.

If I saw that sitting in pawnshop priced at $3800 I'd be pawing all over it with a flashlight and magnifying glass and if it looked right with no cracks in the stock/forearm and was in shootable condition it would be mine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    Original Winchester model 1876's in 50-95 are scarce and are routinely priced as such.

The functional ones I've looked at were priced between $6000.00 and $10,000.

If I saw that sitting in pawnshop priced at $3800 I'd be pawing all over it with a flashlight and magnifying glass and if it looked right with no cracks in the stock/forearm and was in shootable condition it would be mine.
    thanks that is just what I needed

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    If the barrel is stamped "50-95" it is a no loose situation if it is complete and seems to function without any binding by working the lever.
    As noted look carefully at the muzzle. Look into the chamber for pitting, rust. Look at the bolt face for the same. If the rifling looks complete ( not interrupted by rust or corroded) Buy it.
    If you do not like it I will gladly buy it from you.
    I shoot a repro 50-95 and can steer you into getting yours shooting accurately from the start.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    If the barrel is stamped "50-95" it is a no loose situation if it is complete and seems to function without any binding by working the lever.
    As noted look carefully at the muzzle. Look into the chamber for pitting, rust. Look at the bolt face for the same. If the rifling looks complete ( not interrupted by rust or corroded) Buy it.
    If you do not like it I will gladly buy it from you.
    I shoot a repro 50-95 and can steer you into getting yours shooting accurately from the start.
    Mike in Peru
    Thanks Mike I went back today and its was gone baby gone!

Banned
    why do you suppose the stock was a lighter color than the forearm??? Is that a bad thing??

Boolit Buddy
    why do you suppose the stock was a lighter color than the forearm??? Is that a bad thing??
    To me, it looks like someone tried cleaning it up.

Either that or someone replaced it.

I wouldn't think it was a "bad thing" and it wouldn't keep me from buying it at the price you quoted.

Boolit Master
    As ATCDoktor said, buttstock was either an attempt to refinish or a swap. Metal had the appearance of being untouched as well as the forend. If the bore was as good as the exterior metal, even with the buttstock not being original, I'd have done some serious horse trading with the pawn broker.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    As I said earlier, when it comes the original Winchester leverguns, the 50 caliber's (irrespective of model) are very scarce and are usually priced accordingly.

I was at the Crossroads of the West/SAR West gunshow in Phoenix today and a gentleman had a Winchester Model 1886 in 50-110 on his table and it was priced at $12,000.

To me, that rifles condition did not appear to be as good as the 1876 the OP posted pics of in the original post.

Now, we all know there can be many miles between what someone is "asking" for a piece and what someone is willing to pay but in my experience Winchester 50's always seem to have steep asking prices.

$3800.00 is a steal based on what I have seen.

ETA:

Here's a link to Antique Arms Inc that states that only 3300 of the total number of Winchester Model 1876's manufactured were in caliber 50-95.

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/winche...0-95-rifle.htm
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 12-02-2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Added Link

Boolit Bub
    The one my buddy just got in 45/75 that is all there and in very good condition considering the age cost him 3500 bucks a month ago at a Cabela's store, but they are few and far apart so I don't think for a shooter that's all there $3800 is a bad price.
    Last edited by Chief; 12-09-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: mispell

Boolit Bub
    about the same condition as the one in the previous post from Antiquearmsinc,
    bore is likenew, amazing for a blackpowder rifle...

I shoot the Uberti '76 in 45-60 !!!! The '76 handles well and a bit heavy ,but a great shooter!!! That was a once in a lifetime find!! to bad ya didn't jump!!
    !! Your grin would have been ear to ear!!!!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMod76_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	209290

Love the model '76. This one's a 45-60.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMod76_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	209290

Love the model '76. This one's a 45-60.
    That's an OE '76 love your tall Lyman! Ol Deuce

Boolit Master

I just received an order for a barrel in 50-95 for a 76. I picked up an action a while back and made it into a 45-60 so I could use some 45-70 brass that had neck problems.