Great postings
    Yes the Balvar would be vintage period
    and please leave the gun intact in the original state
    and YES you can shoot 100 grain plinker bullets
    for a fun accurate load
    Mike

p.s. Texas forkhorn with old Rem 721
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I've never had any trouble with 722 & 721 the only 2 Rem bolt guns that I shot a lot. I do know
    for a fact that my Gun Smith did the Sako conversion often. I have a buddy that has one of each
    Caliber 700. He never had anytrouble either, because he has never fired one enough for it to fail.

Boolit Master
    Mike Walker Sr designed the 7XX-series rifles to be the cheapest bolt rifles to manufacture. This is what his son told me at the Super Shoot about a quarter century ago.
    Since you are an expert, tell me why Remington has that silly washer/lug between the barrel and action.

In case it is the one thing you do not know; Remington just chambers barrels to SAAMI specs, with a +/- tolerance, instead of chambering to the exact length to a barrel already fitted to the action as Winchester did on the OM. The same thing with receivers, and washer/lugs. They have people sitting at benches taking a receiver, grabbing a barrel out of the rack, and screwing them together with a true dimension washer/lug. They then use a go/no-go set of gauges to see how far out of SAAMI specs (headspace) they are. Under minimum or over maximum tolerance, they just fit a thicker or thinner washer/lug. Sometimes three or four washer/lugs have to be fit, before they find a match. The last step in their assembly process is stamping the barrel markings. That is because they want them in the same spot, which cannot be done with washers/lugs for the headspacing process.

For those of you with an inclination, look at the SAAMI dimensional tolerance for (in this case) rifle cartridges. Unlike the OP and Lloyd, I do not claim to know everything, I have, however, toured most all of the major firearms manufacturers, and was allowed to assemble a rifle under the watchful eye of one of their engineers at both Remington and Savage, and test fire it before buying it and heading back here to Idaho. And, I just pulled the JGS two volume set of reamer prints down from my shelf. Volume 1, page 35, 300 H&H, it shows a margin of .001/.003"., length tolerance +.005".

Do not get me wrong, you have a rare chambering, and I could find room for it in my vault. If your 300 H&H said Winchester M70 on the receiver instead of 721, you could sell it for about $5000-$6000 more than you paid for your Remington. By the way, you D-I-D steal it! I sold my last OM 70 300 H&H to an old friend, who was headed to Africa for a Plains Game hunt. The one I have now is a 1956 FN take down switch barrel in 375, with a second barrel chambered in 300 H&H.

I have made three Safaris to Africa, and a fourth is planned for next spring. I spend hours every day with some of the PH's that guide in the bottom half, every year at the SCI Convention.

Enjoy that rifle, it is a treasure to be sure...

Rich

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I've never had any trouble with 722 & 721 the only 2 Rem bolt guns that I shot a lot. I do know
    for a fact that my Gun Smith did the Sako conversion often. I have a buddy that has one of each
    Caliber 700. He never had anytrouble either, because he has never fired one enough for it to fail.

Sounds about right!
    Charter Member #148

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    1. The pre 64 model 70 is the most overpriced rifle that exists. BUT no 300 H&H std grade would ever cross the auction block at 5-7000 dollars. The machines they had were so poor, each rifle had to be hand fitted and assembled. Horrible stock, swamp walnut. Did have the best hunting trigger design that FN morons have dropped.
    2. Lug Washer technology is the most accurate and cost effective way to headspace a rifle, Savage/Marlin/Remington/Browning all use it. Now you can even convert your 700 to use a Savage style bbl nut.
    3. Re: Mike's son: The Model T Ford was also designed to made made "cheap". Nothing wrong with "cheap" as long as it works.
    4. The myth that guides/outfitters/PHs are gun experts is just that, a myth. They might observe a 20 hunters per year, all of whom have spent a lot of $ to be there. Naturally those hunters can and do afford the most expensive guns. Expensive does not always equal the best. Serious "only hunted in NA" gun nuts have shot a lot more, different rifles than any Bwana.
    5. A well planned push feed rifle will work just fine. I had a 700 Classic rebored to 400 H&H. It worked perfectly and was sold to a guy in (drum roll) S. Africa who used the pizz out of it to kill everything. I would not hesitate for a minute to use a PF rifle for anything. IF properly maintained they work perfectly.
    6. The cult of the "controlled feed bolt action" crowd reminds me of the cultural elites who tell we peons what is best for us.
    Most of them are just repeating what some one else said, have never had an issue with a PF rifle, heck never owned one.
    7. Just can't imagine why the Nazis and Japs didn't win WWII with their controlled feed rifles while we were cursed with the PF M-1. Guess Patton's evaluation of it was wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

You're off to a good start, if I have any questions about ANYTHING I'll be sure to ask, I know you have the answer.
    Charter Member #148

Always happy to help !

Banned

never claimed to be an expert on 700s. Just posting what ive saw with my own two eyes in the 50 years ive been fooling with guns. I guess for an action that was suppose to be made a cheap as possible and barrels that aren't chambered as precisely as some its kind of amazing that they shoot so well. Amazing that police forces and our military uses them as sniper rifles. that just about every bench rest and long range shoot in the world has been won by 700 rems. Something Winchester, ruger, savage or mauser based guns cant claim. Nope I'm sure not a gunsmith or an expert on designing rifles but id do know that rem 700s are the guns that are used to compare when people talk out of the box accuracy in a bolt action rifle. Mike walker did a lot of us a favor when he designed that piece of junk 700.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    Mike Walker Sr designed the 7XX-series rifles to be the cheapest bolt rifles to manufacture. This is what his son told me at the Super Shoot about a quarter century ago.
    Since you are an expert, tell me why Remington has that silly washer/lug between the barrel and action.

In case it is the one thing you do not know; Remington just chambers barrels to SAAMI specs, with a +/- tolerance, instead of chambering to the exact length to a barrel already fitted to the action as Winchester did on the OM. The same thing with receivers, and washer/lugs. They have people sitting at benches taking a receiver, grabbing a barrel out of the rack, and screwing them together with a true dimension washer/lug. They then use a go/no-go set of gauges to see how far out of SAAMI specs (headspace) they are. Under minimum or over maximum tolerance, they just fit a thicker or thinner washer/lug. Sometimes three or four washer/lugs have to be fit, before they find a match. The last step in their assembly process is stamping the barrel markings. That is because they want them in the same spot, which cannot be done with washers/lugs for the headspacing process.

For those of you with an inclination, look at the SAAMI dimensional tolerance for (in this case) rifle cartridges. Unlike the OP and Lloyd, I do not claim to know everything, I have, however, toured most all of the major firearms manufacturers, and was allowed to assemble a rifle under the watchful eye of one of their engineers at both Remington and Savage, and test fire it before buying it and heading back here to Idaho. And, I just pulled the JGS two volume set of reamer prints down from my shelf. Volume 1, page 35, 300 H&H, it shows a margin of .001/.003"., length tolerance +.005".

Do not get me wrong, you have a rare chambering, and I could find room for it in my vault. If your 300 H&H said Winchester M70 on the receiver instead of 721, you could sell it for about $5000-$6000 more than you paid for your Remington. By the way, you D-I-D steal it! I sold my last OM 70 300 H&H to an old friend, who was headed to Africa for a Plains Game hunt. The one I have now is a 1956 FN take down switch barrel in 375, with a second barrel chambered in 300 H&H.

I have made three Safaris to Africa, and a fourth is planned for next spring. I spend hours every day with some of the PH's that guide in the bottom half, every year at the SCI Convention.

Enjoy that rifle, it is a treasure to be sure...

Rich

Lloyd, there are people who hate 700s because they are so successful. Same folks will never diss a SAKO or Tikka as they know they will get flamed.

Remington is not the company it was but to suggest their guns don't work or are unsafe is just internet blather.

The 7XX guns were and are brilliant. Complete game changers to put accurate safe bolt actions in hunters' hands at an affordable price.

I own/owned 7XX rifles beyond count since 1958. They included every factory caliber plus a custom 244 H&H and 400 H&H.

They all worked fine. Even today you have to go a long way to find a rifle that will out shoot a 1950s 722 222 rem with the 26" 300 H&H countour barrel. One of those, in minty, still commands big money because it is so good.

How about the "lunchbox" 721 in 257 Bob ? (watch for the experts)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	722 rem 257 bob.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	208863

Banned

I remember back in the 80s there was a 257 just like that in the action shopper for 200 bucks. I went and looked at it and the old timer that had it was very proud of a marble compass he had inletted right in the but stock. I about spit when I saw it and passed on the gun because of it. Wish I could turn the clock back today and have another crack at it because stocks were everywhere. I guess you have to keep in mind thought that a brand new 700 adl at the time was about 350 bucks. I agree though with everything you said. Seems like everyone likes bashing the big dog. Makes some feel they look knowlegable criticizing a great gun. Same type of guys will bash a glock or 1911. 700s have probably sent more creatures to there maker then all other guns combined. No doubt won more competitive shoots then all other bolt guns combined. To be honest theres weakness to every design. there is NO perfect gun but a 700 is never a bad choice when you need to put a bullet where it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    Lloyd, there are people who hate 700s because they are so successful. Same folks will never diss a SAKO or Tikka as they know they will get flamed.

Remington is not the company it was but to suggest their guns don't work or are unsafe is just internet blather.

The 7XX guns were and are brilliant. Complete game changers to put accurate safe bolt actions in hunters' hands at an affordable price.

I own/owned 7XX rifles beyond count since 1958. They included every factory caliber plus a custom 244 H&H and 400 H&H.

They all worked fine. Even today you have to go a long way to find a rifle that will out shoot a 1950s 722 222 rem with the 26" 300 H&H countour barrel. One of those, in minty, still commands big money because it is so good.

How about the "lunchbox" 721 in 257 Bob ? (watch for the experts)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	722 rem 257 bob.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	208863

Banned

Back in the olden days Remington had excellent barrels on all their rifles. That's the difference that I noticed. I read a statement that Remington made about their barrels being made with the same care and precision no matter what grade of rifle it was put on.

"experts" have still not caught it----- chuckle.

Boolit Master
    I packed a Model 70 part of my second tour in RVN, had this 10X Untertl atop it. It worked as advertised. As far as modern day military's use of PF rifles; they do not care if they actually kill an enemy combatant, a wound is often better, as it takes a second combat soldier out of the firefight to tend to him.

Three Safaris to Africa, and a fourth coming up in the spring; and I never saw a 700 or variant in camps. Every year the Big Bore Shooters Assn. in RSA holds a moving target shooting match, that also doubles as part of the test to become a licensed PH. I have been able to attend one of these shoots. NOBODY even brought a PF rifle. This is recreational/hobby shooting for all of you. It can be a life and death situation for a PH and his client(s).

As far as OM 70 values, you all need to go on Gunbroker and check prices.
    As far as Garands, the PF extractor was one of its' engineering triumphs. The other was the En Bloc clip feed. Other than the fact that you cannot reload unless you fire all eight rounds and make that "Ching" noise as it ejects... My Father was 82nd Abn in WWII. He told us he saw American Soldiers, as he put it, "murdered" by running dry and having to take time to reload in front of enemy troops while "house clearing" going East thru France.
    Last edited by HATCH; 12-04-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Removed offending section

My CF Mausers will feed from any position; upside down, sideways, muzzle up, muzze down.
    So will my pushfeed Sako, Tikkas, Rem 700s, and last but never least Lee Enfield #1 mk III.
    If you don't like Remingtons, don't ever buy one or you run the risk of changing your mind.
    #1 selling bolt action centerfire of all time? Yep, the Remington 700. Millions of idiots and the military and law enforcement are just clueless for using it.
    Lucifers- I still love that 721!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My CF Mausers will feed from any position; upside down, sideways, muzzle up, muzze down.
    So will my pushfeed Sako, Tikkas, Rem 700s, and last but never least Lee Enfield #1 mk III.
    If you don't like Remingtons, don't ever buy one or you run the risk of changing your mind.
    #1 selling bolt action centerfire of all time? Yep, the Remington 700. Millions of idiots and the military and law enforcement are just clueless for using it.
    Lucifers- I still love that 721!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Watch Lucifers, Texas by God wants that 300 H&H 721 Remington!

Oops the "expert" is no longer with us.

99% of sniper rifles in Nam were "drum roll" push feed Remingtons and today (drum roll) 99% still are.

Funny how well they still work.

There are no 5-7 grand standard grade in common chamberings M 70 sold anywhere. What is asked vs gotten are often miles apart.

He carried a 70 in Nam ? With a 10X Unertl ? Yup, I'll wait for the pictures.

The "experts" have yet to notice. Laffin.

Banned

As far as modern day military's use of PF rifles; they do not care if they actually kill an enemy combatant, a wound is often better, as it takes a second combat soldier out of the firefight to tend to him.
    Needless to say theres not a sniper in the world that is trained with this mentality. I guess in my book if its good enough for a navy seal, recon, ranger ect sniper to trust his life and the life of his teammates too its good enough for me to trust a deer hunt to.

I doubt you can find any cold hard facts or stats that can show that more people got killed on dangerous game hunts because they used a 700 vs a mauser. Ive heard just as many STORIES of people short stroking mausers as I have rems failing to feed while the hunter was upside down, standing on his head or laying down taking a nap. I doubt theres been to many have actually had to shoot laying upside down on there back and surely not many that have had to run a bolt like that.

Never been to Africa but pretty much know that in a dangerous game hunt you have a ph standing right along side of you. More times then not with a double rifle not a mauser. I wont argue that mausers are probably used more over there. Some because of people who buy into this kind of silliness but mostly because world wide mauser actions are probably the most prevalent action rifles were built on due to the fact that there were so many military guns that were used to build them bcause they were cheap to buy and strip. Also most dangerous game is shot at close range and are large animals so moa accuracy isn't a concern or they sure wouldn't be using double rifles.

Bottom line is every game animal in the world has been cleanly taken with both rem 700 and mausers and for that matter browning, ruger and savage actioned rifles. What gets people in trouble is whats between there ears not what extractor they choose. While your digging up stats on how many people have been killed using 700s in Africa maybe you can dig up some REAL examples of a ph that forbids a non controlled round fed gun in his camp. Should be something about it in an online brochure or a guide services website. Funny thing is there the most used combat bolt gun ever and if anyone's shooting laying down or out of position or is going to wade through mud and dirt its a sniper not some rich yuppie shooting an elephant. Hed get his nice new khakis all dirty. Scary though that our government sends the best trained snipers in the world out with a cheap shoddy built Walmart gun. Funny thing is I don't know of a single nato block country that uses a mauser for a sniper or combat rifle of any kind. Funny thing too is you hear story's of American soldiers that pick up aks in combat because they were more reliable then there ARs but how many times did you hear of a ww2 soldier who dumped his garand or springfield to be able to have one of those perfect mausers. Well enough of this silly argument for this guy
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-05-2017 at 06:08 AM.

I'm no expert but I got the "lunchbox" reference to the 721 .257 Roberts because the Roberts was only offered to the public in the short action 722. The Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time" comes to mind.........

TBG wins the gold star. Amazing how all the 'experts" totally missed it.

I'd love to see the PH sites that forbid PF rifles.

I'd love to see any American sniper doctrine that teaches shoot to wound.

I'd love to see the testimony of any WWII vet who actually saw combat and dumped his M-1 for a K-98.

I'd love to see first person sniper testimony stating the 700 based sniper rifles were POSs.

The comment on AKs is correct only in the context of the Nam' era M16s that used ball powder and were not supplied with cleaning kits. The current ones will run forever with minimal upkeep.

Still waiting to see any standard grade M70 in any standard chambering crossing any auction block for 5-7000 bucks.

Just gotta love the internet !

I won't say a thing. (chuckle)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast