Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaners: Any Difference Among Brands?

Boolit Master

Ultrasonic Cleaners: Any Difference Among Brands?

I searched the forum for information about ultrasonic cleaner brands, but came up empty. If I missed a recent thread, please just send me to it.

I have been thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning small parts, tools and my suppressors, particularly the one used on .22LR firearms.

My current thought is that RCBS/Lyman/Hornady cleaners are made by the same company, with the exteriors changed. If that is not the case, does anyone know if there is any difference in quality/functioning of these name brands? Or if there is a less-expensive non-name-brand that is the same? I would prefer one that ran as long as possible and had a heating element.

Thank you,
    Richard

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman one is the same as the one at Harbor Freight. The HF unit doesn't have the basket. That's the only difference. Skip all of them and buy one of the ones not marketed to reloaders on Amazon or eBay. They have more transducers, better heaters and are cheaper. I posted a short review of the one I bought a few weeks back. They are better units for less money.

Boolit Buddy
    Up front disclaimer again in case anyone missed my first post. I repair ultrasonics for a living. It does look like Lyman and Hornady have the same supplier which is mainland China. Most of the units on eBay are Chinese. If you are less than a once a week user they work OK but when they die they are dead. The cost of repair is higher than buying a new one plus I can't get repair parts. If you will use one a lot, everyday, and can't afford to replace one every 6 months to a year. I would suggest buying a name brand unit. In US brand names, Healthsonics used to be American made now overseas, L&R ultrasonics is still a US made machine IIRC, Crest is a very nice unit I just hate working on them, other names are probably private label of the above or the German company Elma, I do warranty work for them see above disclaimer. Elma also markets here under their own name. I forgot Branson as a US made machine. If you want to buy US I would suggest L&R, Crest or Branson in no order. BTW I know, phone friend, the guy who does L&R warranty repairs, good guy. If you need to watch your pennies dragon is right, eBay or HF. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I posted a short review of the one I bought a few weeks back. They are better units for less money.
    I went through a list of your posts back to mid-October. Let me know if I didn't go back far enough (or perhaps you can point me to the review).

Thank you,
    Richard

So far I've had no problem with my Lyman but it doesn't get a lot of use. It does a much better job at cleaning metal parts than it does on brass. I use mine mostly for revolver cylinders and AR bolt carriers. Works pretty well for that. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    I went through a list of your posts back to mid-October. Let me know if I didn't go back far enough (or perhaps you can point me to the review).

Thank you,
    Richard
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Cleaner-Review

My HF machine has a basket and works great.

Boolit Master
    Thank you. Good review.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    Up front disclaimer again in case anyone missed my first post. I repair ultrasonics for a living.
    Thank you very much for that information. I will check out those companies. I'm willing to pay more to keep my money in the U.S.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have 2 L&R high power LARGE commercial cleaners I use for clocks. They are GREAT! The wattage is the key (excluding any heater rating!). That is the REAL cleaning power. I do not use them for cleaning any gun stuff. Clocks are far more demanding than guns when running thru an ultrasonic cleaner......more "nooks and crannies". If L&R units will do an excellent job on clock movements they sure will clean any gun stuff you can throw their way.

Boolit Bub
    following