PBcastcoRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokless loads for 8mm kropateschek

Boolit Buddy

Smokless loads for 8mm kropateschek

I'm getting into loading for the kropateschek rifle. I have a leaning for PP projectiles. Just wondering about powder and bullet diameter combinations. I will be using 348 win brass. Thanks in advance

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    You can Use Loading data for 8mm Lebel.. . It is basically the same. I happen to use surplus IMR7383 surplus which is Barletts powder.
    this is similar to 4831 less 15%
    But again any 8mm lebel will do
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    Looks Like another Black powder praiser . Don't use smokeless Danger , If They had smokeless powder in the early days They would have Dumped Black years ago
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    The Kropatchek 8x56 R was always Designed as a smokeless Load. The previous Loading 8x60R was the Black powder load For there single shot Rifle.. the model 1886/98 became the standard In 8x56R
    If you Buy an original Of the box of 10 8x56R the headstamp is dated beteen 1910-1924 pull the Bullets and you will Find smokeless Powder
    If you buy an Original pack of Ten Blanks these are 8x60R blanks and are black powder.
    I am Currently using Imr7383 surplus. I have used in the past 4831 with good Results.
    I have shot both Modified cast and Reclaimed Factory Bullets .
    I have converted all my Age Of Transaction Rifles to smokeless without Problems. with a little experimentation They are exc shooter
    I have 4 Kropatcheks , Rifle, Colonial, Short Rifle and Carbine. Each do perform Differently with the same load.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    What do you guys think about using FFFg in this chambering? Or duplex loads? I heard that the 8mm could get quite dirty with black powder. There just isn't allot of info floating around so I thought I would ask around. I want to use a PP 247gr bullet with 348 brass. I checked my bore and I'm thinking 320 to 321 diameter would be good. I just have to get a custom mold made. I'm not sure the best outfit to do this though as I always found something on the online catalogs from Accurate or Buffalo arms.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    The Kropatchek 8x56 R was always Designed as a smokeless Load. The previous Loading 8x60R was the Black powder load For there single shot Rifle.. the model 1886/98 became the standard In 8x56R
    If you Buy an original Of the box of 10 8x56R the headstamp is dated beteen 1910-1924 pull the Bullets and you will Find smokeless Powder
    If you buy an Original pack of Ten Blanks these are 8x60R blanks and are black powder.
    I am Currently using Imr7383 surplus. I have used in the past 4831 with good Results.
    I have shot both Modified cast and Reclaimed Factory Bullets .
    I have converted all my Age Of Transaction Rifles to smokeless without Problems. with a little experimentation They are exc shooter
    I have 4 Kropatcheks , Rifle, Colonial, Short Rifle and Carbine. Each do perform Differently with the same load.
    What type of bullet are you using?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgvande View Post
    What type of bullet are you using?
    Since I have a Complete set of Rifles. i have not slug the bore. . I started using a Jacketed 170 Gn. speer .323 ( 8mm )
    bullet. Then changes to RN to feed in the mag.
    The basic Charge is 38.1 Gn IMR 7383 . I used Lee data from There 8mm Lebel using 4831 less appox 15%. All shoot well and Decent group @ 100 yds. military Rifles are what they are and these are No different
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    I have researched this cartridge , Even though I stated I use a .323 Bullet all the surplus ammo I have pulled apart , The bullet Diameter Is .319- 320.
    The surplus ammo Is Packs of Ten. with Portuguese writing that states Cartridges 8mm Model 99 . all headstamp 1919 . I do have ammo dated 1924 But have not Pulled them to check
    from the Pull The powder Is Extruded rods
    Pulling The blanks even Though there 8x60R . The wood Bullet Diameter Is appox .320 with Black powder
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    It's interesting that 4831 would be a powder choise for this rifle as it is fairly slow compared to let's say 4895 or something similar.

Boolit Master
    The only Reason why I chose This Is That Lee uses this In the 8mm Lebel Load data . I have a lot Of Imr 7383 like i said In the above post.
    There were other Powder Listed . But this is the one I chose. Info on this cartridge Is Limited . another Thing is that the surplus case powder Is Very course .and it looks similar to 4831 and fills the case to almost the top. This is not very scientific but works for me
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    Just received my pp mold for this rifle from Accurate. We will see how it goes. Hopefully have some time to fire up the pot this weekend.
    Last edited by Mgvande; 01-03-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Looking forward to your results. I'm hoping to shoot off a few paper patch rounds this weekend. It's been a long time for me.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6102.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	211071

Boolit Buddy

Name:	IMG_6246.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	213360

Been a while since I poured these. I was at work for a month. At any rate they are patched and ready to rock once it gets above freezing outside. I'm thinking I'm going the 3fg route first and see what's going on.

Looking very good!

Boolit Buddy

Name:	IMG_6247.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	213472

I loaded a few. It looks sort of odd with the long bullet. They weight out at about 245 to 247 ish so they are long for a .320 diameter. I want to get these brass fire formed so I can figure out my paper thickness for best results. I did run some dummies through the tube magazine and I noticed that I am getting a very small 'slice' in the paper so something is sharp down there. It may mean I have to go grease groove but we will see.

Boolit Buddy
    So I shot off my first 10rnds with 3f and the fouling was so bad the paper was getting damaged when chambering. The group was about 2' across at 50m. When I cleaned the bore I found that the whole bore had a nice supply of lead along it is whole length. So I loaded up a few more with the same paperpatched projectile but lowered the 3fg charge by 10gr and added 4gr RL-17. This got me 1580fps and a grouping that I could work with. I actually got two consecutive shots in the same hole. I noticed that each round chambered with no damage to the patch and my spent brass seemed cleaner. When I got home I cleaned the bore with 4 patches. The historical load was traveling at 1700fps if I recall and my projectile is the same weight. So I am inclined to perhaps up the smokless by a 1/2gr and see where that takes me. Site won't let me upload my group photo but I will try later

Sign on to Postimage - it's free - and upload the photos you to want to post. Post from there using 'hotlink for forums' under the 'share'.

Those long boolits look great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast