WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Money is tight. What would you buy... Primers or lead or something else, tell me why

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy Primers

95 93.14%
  • Buy Lead

4 3.92%
  • Buy something else reloading related

3 2.94%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moneys tight buy lead or primers?

Boolit Master

Primers always come first for me. Much of my lead and lead alloy was gifted to me but never primers. I do remember the shortages of primers so keep well stocked. I regularly buy a brick or 2 and add this to my stash, just in case.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Buy primers, Walmart's parking lot is full of lead, especially during the holidays.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Buy primers, 1 time use. Lead is many time use, just takes some effort to scrounge.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

For those who mention scrounging I totally agree, the thrill of the chase and all that. However..... When the wheel weight is still on a wheel and the wheel is still on the car it's a no-no. So while Walmart parking lot maybe full of lead it isn't like that berm out by the gravel pit. You can't go through it with a bucket and "mine" the parking lot. If you do then at least wear a hoodie, keep your face from being all over the surveillance video. Rookies! What ya gonna do?

Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I said buy lead. There are many shops I could go buy primers at and have them in hand within half an hour. If was out of lead and wanted to cast today I don't have any idea where I'd buy lead. I hate mailing lead and finding it locally isn't easy.

If I had a good deal on lead today it might be gone tomorrow. Primers will still be in stock tomorrow.

I would buy powder. Primers for how it was the past 8 years I learn to reload them if need to and as for lead I just go through my bullet stop for lead and also still have lead on hand.But no powder you can not do any of it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    For those who mention scrounging I totally agree, the thrill of the chase and all that. However..... When the wheel weight is still on a wheel and the wheel is still on the car it's a no-no. So while Walmart parking lot maybe full of lead it isn't like that berm out by the gravel pit. You can't go through it with a bucket and "mine" the parking lot. If you do then at least wear a hoodie, keep your face from being all over the surveillance video. Rookies! What ya gonna do?

I meant to use the purple font, please excuse my oversight but it was meant in jest.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I drove 40 miles to get the 200 primer limit at Bass Pro Shop in 2009 when the mere mention of Obama made hording primers a national pastime. By primers and do it regularly.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Powder and primers. lead is easy to find or buy.

Boolit Master
    About 2 years back, there was an Australia wide shortage of federal small pistol primers, as i own semi-autos, this did not affect me, but my shooting buddies with wheel guns, it hit them really hard, they needed to choose what comps they did and conserve ammo. When primers are available, they buy them up just to make sure they will be ok for a year or two if the shortage ever strikes again.

As already mentioned, lead can be scrounged, primers are a bit harder, but i don't think they will ever get to the point we need to reload our own primers

You can ALWAYS find lead. Not so with primers.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    Primers

If things are truly tight food, clothes and shelter come first.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Buddy
    Buy primers, lead is easy to find!

Boolit Master
    Primers, if having to choose between lead & primers only.

I use bullet traps. The lead I have & use is reused.

Like Brass gets reused.

Primers & powder go away, so they become a priority.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, I chose primers as well.

With some effort, you can always find lead. And usually with no effort at all if you are not looking for a bargain.

Like many here, I have stockpiled a lot of stuff. It takes either a lot of disposable income or sacrificing to accomplish that. If funds are short, you can invest time in trying to find lead. It will be a better return than trying to reuse primers.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I meant to use the purple font, please excuse my oversight but it was meant in jest.

Slim
    Mine also was in jest, hence the big cheese eating grin emoticon. But seriously if one was going to mine the tires in Walmart parking lot I a hoodie would be an excellent idea.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pressonregardless View Post
    I'd buy primers, you can always find lead if you look hard enough.
    every mall parking lot is full of it
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I love it when people ask others how they should spend their money. If things are that short - I'd suggest you put the $$ in a savings account and save it for a rainy day when you need to pay your bills. Reloading is a "hobby" - "life" and "bills" are a "reality" and should always come first . . . . . . just sayin'

I've been there and if a little extra $ came along, it was much more important for me to spend it on something special for my wife as that's how a marriage works . . . you put the other before yourself. If you're single . .. you still have bills and things that always come up at the most inconvenient time. . . .

lead can be scrounged . . . buy a few primers if you feel the need but then learn to save . . . you can't enjoy it later in life if you don't save it today.

In Remembrance
    If you can't detonate the powder, all the lead in the world does you no good. Projectiles are abundant.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Good bottle of single malt! Tomorrow is another day for loading.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast