MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Money is tight. What would you buy... Primers or lead or something else, tell me why

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy Primers

95 93.14%
  • Buy Lead

4 3.92%
  • Buy something else reloading related

3 2.94%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moneys tight buy lead or primers?

Primers! If nothing else I already stocked up on lead. And if push comes to shove.... I would go bug nagantguy to swap me a couple hundred of my primers for some of his lead. Odd that this poll should come up now. I'm down about $60 worth of primers but that is because I bought 175# of lead, which required my raiding the stash piggy bank. It was there, I was there, it smelled good and tasted better so it went home with me.

I'm 110% in agreement with the post on buying a bit more than you use every month, or setting aside funds for an order or purchase in bulk. If you spend a few months and even years buying, swapping or scrounging more than you use eventually you build up a stash. Need 2 then buy 3 until you reach a level that makes you feel comfortable with your stock on hand. Trick is to try and avoid the temptation to buy another mold in a caliber you can already cast for, or additional equipment or tools to enhance your reloading bench in ways that are worthwhile but not really necessary. Or like some might do buy 175# of lead because you find printers lead you buy printers lead right?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with the "buy primers and scrounge the lead" group of guys. This is the first year in my casting career that I have ever paid for lead.

Boolit Grand Master

You can make reloads without lead, but not without primers. Lead is still to be found cheaply (except in CA) and berms can be mined for lead. If lead is getting scarce, cast smaller bullets...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine being so low stocked of Lead, Primers, or any other component in pistol ammo production.
    But I guess I'm with Adk Mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adk Mike View Post
    Buy primers. Scrounge lead. That’s what i’ve Always done. Becomes a game.
    With that said, I've well stocked of everything right now. BUT, as of last week, I had a bunch of Cabela's points $ on my cabela's visa card. With the Bass pro shop buyout/merger (whatever it was), the Cabela's card was sold to (or whatever) to Capital One bank. Whenever switchovers like that happen in the bank world, Perks tend to change, maybe not right away, but eventually. I got stung once, and lost a bunch of credit card "rewards" back in 2008...remember those days?

Anyway last week, I was struggling what to purchase from Cabela's with those points $, and I can't spend them anywhere else ...I don't need anything from them, and don't even want anything from them.

So a better question for my situation is, what do you buy, when you don't need anything, but have funds you could likely loose if you don't spend the funds? (LOL, kind of like a Government agency, LOL)

My answer was 41 Mag Brass (starline)...Cabela's doesn't charge too much more than Starline's website...I also had one of their postcard coupons that mount to about 20% off if you spend more than $100. I placed the order last weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

^ You buy what you might need or that you can easily swap if you don't end up needing it. I guess new starline brass fits that category.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Primers first, powder second, lead last. Lead can always be found, at a price, but when primers are gone, you just don't find them at the tire shop or junk yard. Also the post office won't ship you some primers like that 60 pounds of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing. Save the money. Scrounge the lead. When money improves buy powder AND primers

Boolit Buddy
    Primers. If it gets so bad we're trying to DIY primers, it's time to take up archery again. Problem with lead is it getting regulated out of availability. Already very hard to scrounge wheel weights here in NorCal.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    lead.
    they will still have primers at the store next month.
    Primers! Primers! Primers! Lead is easy "found" and always will be if you know where to look... primers on the other hand are manufactured and subject to all kinds of possibilities down the road.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Primers for all the reasons mentioned plus a heck of a lot easier to store!

Primers ! You can find lead in many more places than you can find primers.

Banned

My vote is primers too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Nothing. Save the money. Scrounge the lead. When money improves buy powder AND primers
    That's true large internet orders save money.

First time I ever saw the forum agree 100% on a poll...27 votes/27 buy primers....must be a new mood a'comin!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

there is one dissenter.

try scrounging lead here.
    we got 2 tire shops.
    the owner of one is a caster, the second place gives them to the owners son that also happens to be the manager.
    the print shop wants cash for his lino-type [if he has any left]
    the mechanic shop owner is a caster, and the guy that owns the body shop is also a caster,
    [I traded him some Tin and some old stick on WW's for a new windshield]
    and if you touch my berms I shoot at you.

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid,one of the teachers would give passing grades if you brought him lead,more lead,higher grade.He had a big collection of old guns. All flintlocks,so he didnt need primers either.

Boolit Master

It is a lot easier to recycle lead than primers.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    there is one dissenter.

try scrounging lead here.
    I live near the atlantic ocean, I am spoiled. Keels are abundant.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    We had a LGS last week selling CCI for 20 bucks a brick.
    Good luck!
    If we can get them under Au$60 we think we're doing well! Since I took up Single Action shooting I've become aware of the need to keep a goodly supply of primers (and powder) - so I'm slowly stocking up. One thing about them (and powder) is that if I ever have to get rid of them they should be easy to sell. Also, supply can be even iffier than over your way!

ADMIN

I think of it this way.

There has NEVER been a time that a Vendor Sponsor on CB didn't have lead for sale.
    There has been PLENTY of times that you couldn't get primers.
    So its a no brainer if I have to choose, its gonna be primers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast