Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Contents of Old Lyman Ideal Lube?

Contents of Old Lyman Ideal Lube?

This dates back to early 60's. I find it listed in Stoeger's Shooters Bible from that era, but the contents are not given.

It is a soft black substance and still goes through the Lyman 45 with coaxing from a hairdryer, though I don't yet know if it will be effective.

Attachment 208709

Does any know the contents? Was it an effective lube in its day, when fresh? Thanks

Boolit Master
    If it's Black It is MIRROR LUBE. If is sort of Black or Very dark Brown It's #1 alox and Beeswax
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    It appears that Lyman still sells this lube.It is listed as Ideal Lube on their website.When I started casting that is what I used.It works.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    This dates back to early 60's. I find it listed in Stoeger's Shooters Bible from that era, but the contents are not given.

It is a soft black substance and still goes through the Lyman 45 with coaxing from a hairdryer, though I don't yet know if it will be effective.

Attachment 208709

Does any know the contents? Was it an effective lube in its day, when fresh? Thanks
    Now you are getting back into when I started reloading. Some are sure to disagree with me, but I remember reading that it was a mixture of mutton tallow and lampblack. It was messy to use, fairly good for pistol loads, and totally worthless as a rifle lube.
    As far as I remember, 50/50 alox and beeswax didn't exist back then. There was one called Mirro-lube that was good, although many of the old-timers mixed their own, using beeswax, Vaseline, graphite, and whatever they thought might work. Some were okay, some not. I used the Ideal like you show there because that's what was available where I lived.

Codger, you've correctly identified this stuff, I'm sure. Yes, very black and very messy. Lampblack would fit that condition.

The old NRA Reloading Manual from that period referred to Ideal lube often but did not say much about the contents except that it "appears to be waxy materials."

I will soon load a few Pb rounds of .30-30 to see what it does but after your comment I believe I'll first roll the boolits in a wax/alox liquid.

Thanks.

Boolit Master

Codger, you've correctly identified this stuff, I'm sure. Yes, very black and very messy. Lampblack would fit that condition.

The old NRA Reloading Manual from that period referred to Ideal lube often but did not say much about the contents except that it "appears to be waxy materials."

I will soon load a few Pb rounds of .30-30 to see what it does but after your comment I believe I'll first roll the boolits in a wax/alox liquid.

Thanks.
    Yep don't get that lampblack on your gun case unless you just want a reason to buy another. It doesn't come out I think 50/50 replaced that, we used to call 50/50 NRA#2 back in the day
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 12-01-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I used it for both rifle and pistol loads years ago.I don't remember any problems with leading but I wasn't loading for velocity.I used it in .30-06 and 7.65 Mauser.

Boolit Grand Master

It dries out and falls out of the lube groove if you store sized and lubed bullets. I would keep it for a conversation piece rather than use it.

Boolit Grand Master

This stuff dates back a few years , according to the patent for it contains :

Colloidal Graphite
    Calcium soap grease
    Beeswax
    Paraffin
    Powered Mica
    Common hoist oil #2

I still have a stick in that very box. Used it for years until I discovered that a Lithium grease-Beeswax lube was just as good if not better . Black staining graphite tended to color whatever it touched, hands, shirt, pants....
    Not bad lube but definitely old school .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks, all, for your very interesting comments.

I first used this c. 1960 for blackpowder duplex loads with a 405-grain slug in trapdoor Springfields. I got into other lube methods and haven't used the Lyman 45 for ages. That same first stick has been in the sizer since then. I dread the thought of trying to clean it out and will try to"use" it out if targets show promise.

SSG, I believe you're correct about 50/50 coming along right after the Ideal black. At least that's what I found in the orange box - two sticks of alox/beeswax from GAR that I never opened.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, all, for your very interesting comments.

I first used this c. 1960 for blackpowder duplex loads with a 405-grain slug in trapdoor Springfields. I got into other lube methods and haven't used the Lyman 45 for ages. That same first stick has been in the sizer since then. I dread the thought of trying to clean it out and will try to"use" it out if targets show promise.

SSG, I believe you're correct about 50/50 coming along right after the Ideal black. At least that's what I found in the orange box - two sticks of alox/beeswax from GAR that I never opened.
    My orange box still has the original Black lube in it...don't plan on using it but you never know.
    Us pack rats don't throw anything away....might need it someday.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I was given two dozen sticks of the stuff years ago, same box as pictured. It's a little smokey and ends up coating the gun with soot, but it works. I only use it in mild, 900fps and less pistol rounds, Felix lube gets used for faster pistol velocities and all rifle bullets. I have one stick left.
    As a side note, when one of my labs was a puppy, he got on the shelf under the bench and ate the box, wax paper and about half of one of the sticks of lube with no harm, didn't even puke or get the runs. Did have a black tongue for a time, though. One of the worst labs I ever had for eating odd things, but was a good hunter.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    It dries out and falls out of the lube groove if you store sized and lubed bullets. I would keep it for a conversation piece rather than use it.

I was once given a Lyman 450 luber that was completely set up and full of dried up Lyman black lube. It took several days and boilings and scrappings to get what I thought all out. For about the next year I would get black lube on boolets when using C.Red ocassionly of that `lovely` black stuff.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    My orange box still has the original Black lube in it...don't plan on using it but you never know.
    Us pack rats don't throw anything away....might need it someday.
    Gary

Absolutely.
    PBSmith
    Certified Pack Rat

Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    I was given two dozen sticks of the stuff years ago, same box as pictured. It's a little smokey and ends up coating the gun with soot, but it works. I only use it in mild, 900fps and less pistol rounds, Felix lube gets used for faster pistol velocities and all rifle bullets. I have one stick left.
    As a side note, when one of my labs was a puppy, he got on the shelf under the bench and ate the box, wax paper and about half of one of the sticks of lube with no harm, didn't even puke or get the runs. Did have a black tongue for a time, though. One of the worst labs I ever had for eating odd things, but was a good hunter.
    Quack, I believe there might be something screwy with western Pennsylvania dogs. A friend's Irish setter almost chewed a good Old Town spruce canoe paddle in half while its owner and I were hunting ducks at Pymatuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I was once given a Lyman 450 luber that was completely set up and full of dried up Lyman black lube. It took several days and boilings and scrappings to get what I thought all out. For about the next year I would get black lube on boolets when using C.Red ocassionly of that `lovely` black stuff.Robert
    Thanks for that warning, Hardcast. It's hell-and-the-devil under fingernails too.

Boolit Buddy
    The black stain of any thing can't be any worse than spilling used diesel motor oil on your self while laying under the truck.
    Shaune509