MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Off center sizing with 30 caliber cast bullets

Boolit Master

Off center sizing with 30 caliber cast bullets

OK, a problem here that I've not had to any negative extent with larger bullets but ---------------

When sizing my 30 cal 175gr bullets it seems many are off center when going through the sizer/luber.

Any solutions out there?

I've thought of possibly going to a push through style die and then lube in the sizer/luber with a bit larger die.

At the recommendation of my 465gr - 45/70 mold maker I use a .460 push through die and a .461 sizer/luber die.

THIS IS NOT due to an off center issue, but rather an issue of not disturbing the surface hardness of the bullets. Bruce recommended doing the push through sizing as soon as possible after casting then I can go back at a later date to lube and seat the gas checks if I didn't seat them in the first step.

Anyway, just wonder if this would be a possible solution.

These are gas checked bullets so I'd think that would help keep the bullet in line on the bottom and I think my top punch is an OK fit so ----------------------?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Crusty,

I went though this with some hi-vel 30 calibre PPCB and have a couple of questions:

1. Diameters of as-cast CB at mould part-line and 90 degrees from mould part-line? Oval CB?
    2. AC or WQ?
    3. Single cavity or multi cavity mould? If multi-cavity, does the sprue plate have a trough?
    4. Mould sprue hole diameters?
    5. Type sizing die; i.e. taper entry or old style shoulder cutting entry?
    6. Type of flux? Marvelux , sawdust, or what?
    7. One step sizing or muti-step sizing? What increment of sizing for one step or multi-step, i.e. 0.002"D, 0.003"D, etc.?

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    Get you a Star sizer and you can size nose first and lube at the same time.

Boolit Master
    Get a push thru sizer and lube with BLL
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, but all the abbreviations have me LOST! Sorry.

I always try to first spell it out and then abbreviations are OK at that point.

For example I like to use Wide Flat Nose cast bullets as the WFN has proven to be highly effective in my .44 mag and 45/70.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    Crusty,

I went though this with some hi-vel 30 calibre PPCB and have a couple of questions:

1. Diameters of as-cast CB at mould part-line and 90 degrees from mould part-line? Oval CB?
    2. AC or WQ?
    3. Single cavity or multi cavity mould? If multi-cavity, does the sprue plate have a trough?
    4. Mould sprue hole diameters?
    5. Type sizing die; i.e. taper entry or old style shoulder cutting entry?
    6. Type of flux? Marvelux , sawdust, or what?
    7. One step sizing or muti-step sizing? What increment of sizing for one step or multi-step, i.e. 0.002"D, 0.003"D, etc.?

Best regards,

CJR
    May I help? This is what I take away:
    PPCB-paper patched cast boolet
    CB-see above
    AC-air cooled
    WQ-water quenched
    BLL-Ben's Liquid Lube
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

Lubesizer misalignment is a common problem, especially with the older Lyman 450 with old style linkage, but is also a problem in the RCBS units as well, as documented on Accurate Molds website.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php

The problem is more obvious with long skinny rifle boolits, and may not be noticed with most pistol boolits.

There are some things that you can do to correct a misalignment, depending on how far it's out of alignment. This is a pretty good thread about this topic.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-of-Lyman-4500
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Thanks again guys!

CDOC