Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Strongest falling block; most accurate falling block

Boolit Master

Strongest falling block; most accurate falling block

I’m interested in purchasing a falling block and wondering if the strongest of the designs available is also the best for accuracy. A friend has a couple of Rugers and seems to be pleased with them; I am wondering if there are other actions which might be capable of better accuracy.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master

The Ruger number 1 or number 3 are very strong actions and more than up to most tasks. The forend hanger may limit barrel dia and size. Another is finding a gunsmith to rebarrel or work on them if that's in the plans. I believe Dakota made a very strong one also but it falls into the custom category and is pricier.
    What are the planned uses for this rifle? Caliber? A used number one can be found and is usually a clean rifle in pretty decent shape.

Boolit Master
    Browning 1885 have 2 one is 45/70 the other is 40/65 Winchester. The 45/70 can be loaded just shy of 458 mag the down side is the recoil pad is just about useless. You might want to look at Shiloh Sharps as well pricey but worth it

Boolit Master
    I’m planning on going with a .375 H & H as I have the dies/moulds and brass and am familiar with the cartridge. The rifle will be for shooting boolits as there is not much in north Texas which requires jacketed loads.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

Well it will be easy to find a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H
    There are two on Gunbroker right now for around $1100
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I believe the 1885 is available in 375 H&H but not sure of the weight and the straight stock will probably beat you senseless.

If you're planning on buying one already barreled in .375 H&H, your choices are more limited. The Ruger is easy to find, but I think the hanger on the forearm not only limits barrel diameter, but also has been a point of discussion as it affects accuracy. The Browning 1885 or Winchester 1885 would be my choice if one can be found in that caliber, oor you don't mind barreling for the caliber.

Boolit Master
    Think I’ll start lookin’ for a high wall in .375....

Might check with CDNN. I seem to remember they had some recently at a good price.

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the Winchester 1885 (Moroku) in 375 H&H and am quite fond of it. 1-4x20 Leupold for sighting, 265 gr gas check bullet sized to .379 with a check putting them inside 2 inches at 100 yards! I've been using it for all my woods hunting this year, but luck and family matters have kept it of the hair this year so far. It's got a good recoil pad and isn't all that bad to shoot, I just had to work my way into it with 250 gr factory loads, but the boolits are cup cakes! Mine also is more accurate with a full diameter driving band way out front as well!