Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What lever guns to get?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

What lever guns to get?

I've sorta been wondering about levergats, never even fired one, sadly (Bolt guns and semi autos yes, just not levergats.)

Thinking it'd be fun to get a 30-30 and a 45-70, sort of a complementary pair that takes up much of the usual work space of lever guns?

Given some co's current issues, whose would be good to get, and current production or older manufacture? Any other round a "Must have", to complete the experience? Just want to learn for now, then plan up a good answer in a couple months, see what's a good choice

Boolit Buddy
    I would think a Henry in 22 would also work for the set concept. Either older Winchester 1894 (any vintage up until they closed) or a pre 2008 marlin for the 30/30 and I have had really good accuracy out of two early 1970's Marlin 1895's those are 45/70.

Boolit Master
    I would recommend the pre-Remington Marlins. Winchester in 30/30 is Good, but they did make some junk around the 1970's.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm certainly no expert but will add my 2 cents anyway.

I always wanted a 30-30 to play with. I ended up buying a Winchester 94 "Ranger". I like it - it was like new - BUT - it's problem as far as misfires. Some on here have said how to correct it - I just haven't done it yet. An older 94 I'd have no problems buying if I could find on in good shape and priced right. After the Winchester, I ran across a vintage Marlin 336SC in 30-30. It is a great lever gun and a joy to shoot - and certainly more accurate than I am.

At this point, I'm seriously considering selling the Winchester Ranger and a couple other guns and getting a Henry 30-30. Some don't like the tube feed and wold rather have a loading gate - not a biggie to me though. I have a Henry lever 22 caliber that is a great rifle - well built - no issues at all. I like the fact that the Henry's are American made and they offer great customer service if there is a problem.

Guess it's all dependent on what you like and you budget is. Everybody likes different things but the one thing I do know is that from the recent Marlins I've seen, I won't be buying one of those. I can't speak to other brands but I've handled some of the Henry center fires and I do like the feel an quality of them.

Since some folks like chocolate ice cream & others prefer pistachio, I would suggest that you hie thee to a funstore & fondle/coonfinger an example of all the various leverguns available to you, to find which floats your boat.

After one brand or another is settled on, for the desired chambering(s), you can think about your intended usage against what's available in your choice of toys.

Last edited by pietro; 11-30-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Browning BLR in .358 Winchester , the Marlin Cowboys in .45 Colt and 45-70 are my set to cover anything I want a lever gun to do .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I know you're talking about rifle calibres, but a word of advice - don't even think about getting a '94 in pistol calibres, they are well-known for having cycling issues with the smaller cartridges.

If it were me, I would look for pre '90 Marlins for rifle calibers and Henry for pistol calibers. Both are easy to disassemble and clean.

Boolit Master

Any pre 1960 ones.

Boolit Master

nothing wrong with owning two (or more!) leverguns.
    If you happen to stumble onto a smoking deal on a Marlin 94 or a Winchester 92 clone in 44 Mag it could easily substitute for the 2 mentioned in your original post.

Boolit Master
    30-30 is one of the most cost effective options in a rifle caliber around here, don’t know about where you are. Between it and 45-70 I think you cover everything that walks but bunnies and squirrels.

I would suggest buying something that was new a couple decades ago if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    nothing wrong with owning two (or more!) leverguns.
    If you happen to stumble onto a smoking deal on a Marlin 94 or a Winchester 92 clone in 44 Mag it could easily substitute for the 2 mentioned in your original post.
    Be nice now,,only 2? how bout 2 of each caliber and style

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pacific Northwest here, If I didn't have rimfire quite well enough covered I'd agree on getting one but "Enough is enough" (And now I have to call MYSELF a heretic, for, as we all know, enough NEVER EVER is enough ) 358 is an interesting round, definitely, I have that niche covered in bolt guns tho - the 30-30 and 45-70 shoot more historical LeverGat fodder, which is why I am thinking of those. Until I know whether I find them fun enough that I want to get more, at least. The one "down side" of some lever actions is that (compared to a bolt gun) the action is more springy, maybe stretching the brass more, but I imagine they're fun to plink with & certainly nice short rifles compared to some of my bolt guns (varmint rifles don't qualify well as a short handy rifle, for some reason!) If things work per plan and I end up with a Quad, I could see the 30-30 being set up as EDCed on the quad.

I shoot exclusively lever guns, I notice very minimal or no case stretch. That being said, I do no hotrod my loads either. I load and shoot for the following leverguns. 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt, 30-30, 35 Rem, 375 Win, 444 Marlin and 308MX. I size the mx after the 3 firing and it is minimal.

I picked up a beautiful pre-remlin jm stamped 1895gbl in 45-70 and LOVE it! In fact I was sitting in my deer stand with it just a few hours ago. Accurate, carries easy, can shoot all sorts of loads out of it, round ball, monolithic copper or brass, and of course cast boolits.

A year ago I found a pair of Win 94's, one older one built back in 1944, and a newer AE model with the safety. I have to admit, I like the new AE one. A little load development, hand crafted an ammo carrier for the buttstock, added a sling with 6 more spots to hold ammo. Wrapped the handle with paracord to soften the edge on my fingers.

The old one looks great, but has a badly worn bore, a bad tight spot at the rear sight dovetail. And I am thinking hard of sending it to JES Rebore to get made into a .35-30-30. I have yet to read about an unhappy customer of his. Just have not gotten all my ducks in a row yet.

I put 9 rounds that all hit in a nice 2" group out of the AE through the old one, 25 yards, off a rest. One hit paper. Rest are lost in space.

I already have several .35 molds so I think that is the best choice for me if JES will do it.

Probably only shoot it with light loads of Red Dot. 4-6 grains.

I came late to levers, but they have an allure all their own.

I enjoy leverguns myself. I've had several henry 22's, several marlin 1894c 357 mags, several winchester 94 30-30. I'd say the experience of the old west was best captured with the 357. Then the 30-30. I really like the history of the early 1900s and the 30-30 was synonymous with that era. The pistol calibers though is what really started the leveractions off.

The only one i have currently is a 70s vintage 94 in 30-30. It had a 350 price tag but still is a lot better than the newer ones. Id really like another henry, and a marlin. But probably in 44 mag this go round.

Something neat about lever guns that bolt actions dont have.

Boolit Mold

I've got a 30-30 and a 45-70. One is more pleasant to shoot than the other. The only other lever gun I really want is a 45 Colt. That said, I've got a batch of 30-30 to prep this weekend.

Rick

.357mag, .44mag., .45Colt., .32-20, .38-55, .44-40, those are some to lust after. Winchester 94 is good and common, I prefer the Win 92 platform myself. Marlin 1894's too. Nothing wrong with the Marlin 336 either, I just prefer the straight stocks over the pistol grips. Rossi R92's are also good. They say Henry's are good rifles, I just can't abide the prices, weight and lack of loading gates.

But leverguns are awesome! It's my latest fascination. They do benefit from some home gunsmithing and tinkering, in the form of deburring, smoothing and polishing. Usually helps to either put in lighter hammer springs or cut a couple of coils off the stock ones, makes the hammer easier for the bolt to push down when cocking, which means smoother operation.

For 30 30, a pre-Remington Marlin if you want to scope it or a pre-64 Winny if you don’t mind open sights and a pre- Remington Marlin 45 70.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast