Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: TC Contender custom shop bbl question

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble

Question TC Contender custom shop bbl question

Have a line on a G2 rifle with a 30-30 bbl logoed as from the TC custom shop.

Gunshop that has it says and the pic shows a muzzle brake.

I hate brakes but love cans.

The brake is fatter than the bbl, it's not porting.

Does anyone know if these brakes screwed on or were part of the bbl ?

Boolit Master

If it was put on by the Custom shop it was not screwed on the barrel they are pressed on or sweated on but not part of the barrel
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    A Muzzle Tamer on a 30/30 is certainly not necessary in a T/C Contender carbine and you may eventually want to defeat it because of the horrendous noise and blowback by reducing the velocity of your boolits. I have a TCR in 338 WM with that device and have found that the worst of the noise and blowback gasses go away once the MV drops below 1800 fps. although fellow shooters still react negatively if within 30 feet. I acquired a 7mm TCU 10" barrel with the Tamer and have dropped the velocity below 1100 to get away from the worst. The Muzzle Tamers certainly work as advertised since the recoil of 338 WM with a full house load didn't feel like much more than my 6mm Rem. The only time I ever shot a T/C barrel with a Muzzle Tamer without hearing protection was with the 10" 7mm TCU (MV 1600 fps with 130 gr RNGC) at a 3x3 blacktail deer. I got the buck but permanently lost some hearing and suffered ear pain for several hours. If the price was right on your barrel and the barrel long enough, I would have a local gunsmith cut the Muzzle Tamer off and recrown the barrel (move front sight too if required).

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Here's what the "experts" say:

"Today my gunsmith got the **** T/C brake off , the brake was threaded on and lock tited , to any one who wants to remove theirs he gently heated the brake at the union with the barrel and put the brake in the barrel vice and he had to use a 30 inch wrench to get it to unscrew I dont know what kind of lock tite T/C use but it held on titer than the bride to my wallet at a gunshop."

So one guy says threaded, one guy not.

Would be nice to know who is correct !

They both are. I have seen TC factory brakes put on both ways, though non threaded is more common.