Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: 348 win to 8mm kropateschek

Boolit Buddy

348 win to 8mm kropateschek

Any one form 348win to 8mm kropateschek? If so is CH4D the way to go for dies? Also do I require a 348win shell holder or will the shellholder that comes with the die set fit 348 as the case head bottom will have to get beveled some after sizing. Any thoughts on this?

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0r-Kropatschek

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...MM-Kropatschek

Yes, CH4D make great dies
    If they provide a shell holder, it will work with 348.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I have formed 8x56 R Kropatchek using CH4d . trim die. basicly I only use a Trim die. . since the Kropatchek has very little shoulder, the trick is to Break the shoulder of 348. Annealing is a must Prior. found using 50/110 easer. No shoulder. Chambers Ok. But the Rims are sometimes bigger. I have the complete set Of 4 Kropatchek Rifles. All chamber a little different
    Dies and Trim are a Big investment if Your not going to shoot alot. There is still plenty of surplus ammo around In box of Ten. and Most will go off.
    I also Load old Brass with 6.45mm berdan Primers
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Using 50/110 is new I haven't heard of this before. I just got my hands on a bunch of misc. brass for cheap in 348 so I will see how it goes. 50/110 is probably earlier to get. I was concerned about the shell holder issue with the ch4d dies and if they function before and after one puts in the bevel on the case head.

Boolit Master
    50/110 is the parent case of 348 winchester. I think the bevel on the case is Not necessary.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Bub
    I bought a RCBS forming die to form Win 348 cases into Krops. I found that I still needed to put the formed cases into a Lee 8mm Lebel die and then run them through CH4D 8x56r dies to get them to chamber in the Krop.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that there could be primers popping out with the square rim. I think the bevel would reduce clearance in the middle of the case head to the bolt face as the bolt face is concave. I'm not sure though I haven't fired a shot. Just looking at the bolt.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got my 348win brass. I found 93 pieces, once fired. Payed a buck a piece shipping included. Not bad considering that I couldn't find new stuff anywhere.

Boolit Mold
    I have an RCBS Kropatchek die set,trim die and two shell holders. If any interest contact me gwwhit@gmail.com

GW

Boolit Buddy

348 win to 8mm kropateschek

So allot of people say the bevel is not required if the case chambers. So I shot off 10 ends of freshly loaded cartridges with no bevel. The primers, as I knew it would, walked out of the brass a touch. It didn't have too much an issue with the backed out primers until I went to decap the brass for soaking. The primers back out enough to create a situation where my brass wouldn't fit in the shell holder. So I guess I will have to re fire form they brass with a bevel installed
    Last edited by Mgvande; 12-17-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    This has happened to me with Reforms Brass . you can just push it Back in Carefully with an arbor press. This also Happens with original military . The berdan primer backs out slightly . Just a minor Glitch in the forming process.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mgvande View Post
    So allot of people say the bevel is not required if the case chambers. So I shot off 10 ends of freshly loaded cartridges with no bevel. The primers, as I knew it would, walked out of the brass a touch. It didn't have too much an issue with the backed out primers until I went to decap the brass for soaking. The primers back out enough to create a situation where my brass wouldn't fit in the shell holder. So I guess I will have to re fire form they brass with a bevel installed
    I would deprime using a punch, like when using a Lee Loader.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I take a dremel tool and cut a groove in the shell holder
    or for fired primers, just whack them down with a plastic hammer.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    I take a dremel tool and cut a groove in the shell holder
    or for fired primers, just whack them down with a plastic hammer.
    Mike
    I like that idea, putting a groove in the shell holder. What I did with these ones if use the Lee decapper and hand fitted them up that die and used my press with no shell holder. One must make sure you are in the flashhole though.