MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: MP 45-270 HP Ohaus mold

MP 45-270 HP Ohaus mold

Hello all, I've been looking at This MP mold. It's the 45-270 Ohaus. It casts 250g hp or 270 g solid. I'm not inquiring the quality as I own another MP mold and am very happy with it. What I'm looking for is first hand experience with this bullet. It will be used in 45 colt pistol and rifle and 454 casull pistol and rifle. What do you guys think of it? Good or bad, thank you

I looked all over and can't find a thing Sam. Just this thread. Guess you'll be the first to buy it and try it.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I did get an email back from Mihec, he informed me that this would not be a good choice for 45 colt.

Boolit Buddy
    That is the old Ohaus design for the .45 Auto Rim. Very accurate, but generally too long for the .45 Colt if loaded in standard length cases.

Super Moderator

................ I don't have, nor have I seen the original Ohaus design. However I do have the RCBS mould, and have loaded it for a Rossi M92 , and a Winchester (Miroku) M92 leverguns. You have to roll crimp over the shoulder in order to allow them to feed through the action. I reduced my initial starting loads by 5% to start with the reduced case capacity for the deep seated slug.

You can also shorten the case and roll crimp into the crimp groove. I had quite a few R-P nickle plated cases I'd bought for a old model Stainless Ruger Vaquero and after experiencing an inordinate amount of split cases (from the mouth to half way down the case in some instances) I pulled them from use. These are the ones I used for shortening. Happily my case trimmer is motorized BTW, after shortening them I have had only a couple that I had to toss, and these were because of small cracks at the casemouth. However it is nowhere near the number I had with the full length cases and the issue seems to have stopped. Off topic but I have now developed a distaste for nickle plated cases.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance