Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star of David on Mauser

Boolit Master

Star of David on Mauser

I was looking at an 1893 7x57 Spanish Mauser tonight. The store says it's an "Israeli re-issue" based on the apparent Star of David stamp. I've been searching online for some time now, and I'm still not sure if they're right or not. There's a lot of opinions and guesses online concerning that star, but nothing concrete. I ordered "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" by Ball, and it should be here Monday.
    I tried to take some pics with my phone but they didn't come out. These are some of the markings I remember:
    Serial number is A6532.
    "Mauser Espanol 1893"
    Loewe Berlin
    Any ideas on the Star?
    It looks like it's all matching. The bore is good, the wood is beat up but not cracked or rotten anywhere. There's a faint cartouche on the stock.
    They're asking $280.

i wondered about the star of David on some spanish rifles too while looking thru "Bolt action military rifles of the world", there was pics of a 1893 infantry rifle and a 1895 carbine both with the star of david on left side of receiver between the serial number and where its stamped "Mauser Espanol"

the site uploading is being stupid this morning, tried 4 times to attach pics of those 2 rifles, but after a few minutes, it pops up a tab that says the uploading has failed

At $280 bucks, regardless sounds like a fun rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Ludwig Lowe was a major arms manufacture owned by Jewish interests. They often put the Star of David on export rifles.

Boolit Master
    I have to reduce the size of the pics before I can upload them.
    As far as being an "Israeli re-issue", from what I've read, the Israelis were desperate for guns, but they had access to more modern guns than the 1893 7mm Mausers, and mostly went with 8mm rifles.
    I have it on hold for a week - it is an interesting rifle. I wonder if it will get along with my Krag...

Boolit Master

Before the 1948 war with the Arabs, the fledgling Jewish state was desperate for arms. They were beginning from scratch with everything and the population was made up of a great many former holocaust jews and they were not about to give up without a fight again. They were also a British protectorate at the time and the Brits were confiscating any arms coming into Palestine. I don't remember arms being stamped with the Star of David before the State of Israel was made official by the UN. There may well have been some older rifles marked with the Star but it will take a mauser expert, which I am not, to say with certainty. It was desperate times. james

I think you found yourself a piece of history and a bargain.

If it was me, I don't think I'd let it get away.

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    Ludwig Lowe was a major arms manufacture owned by Jewish interests. They often put the Star of David on export rifles.

Was the Obendorf factory also Jewish owned ? ..............

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    In reading posts on other sites, apparently some Chilean and Brazilian Mausers have the same star.

It would be a great addition to a collection, even if it's not perfect. I have the Swedish Mauser, Argentine Mauser, and two Krags.

Boolit Master
    The Jewish nation re-barreled a lot of Mauser rifles in the early days of the nation. They a Pratt Whitney cut rifling machine and made a lot of 30 caliber barrels which were chambered in 308 Win. Some years back I got a few of the barrels and made nice shooting 308 Win rifles using the barrels and Mauser actions. My current hunting rifle is a small ring Mauser using one of the barrels, wish I had purchase more of the cut rifled barrels years ago, they were well made and did not cost much at that time in 1968. The barrel I have is dated 1/1961. They stamped a date on each barrel.

Boolit Master
    "Was the Obendorf factory also Jewish owned ?"

Ludwig Lowe owned a controlling interest in the Mauser factory. They also owned DWM at one time.

That looks like a Star of David and it might be just that, but Both Syria and Egypt have used a six pointed star in their flags.

Found this on Cruffler.

"To the rear of the firing proof is an Israeli proof consisting of the Hebrew letter "nun" (possibly a "gimel") inside a six pointed star. "

The star on the Mauser appears to have a letter in the middle.

I suppose it could be a civilian proof mark as well.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 11-19-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    This Has Nothing to do with the State of Isreal. It was simply The trade make if Ludwig Lowe .
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    This Has Nothing to do with the State of Isreal. It was simply The trade make if Ludwig Lowe
    I agree. That's why I questioned what the store was telling me. They saw the Star of David and associated it with Israel, not the manufacturer.

Prague, Czechoslovakia used a six-pointed star proof mark from 1919-1931.
    FYI.

Buy it and shoot it. The value will still go up from here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Interestingly I found that the star of David only became closely associated with the Jews during the 19th century.
    It has been a part of a number of religions and national traditions. Still is but seldom seen in any other context.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    This Has Nothing to do with the State of Isreal. It was simply The trade make if Ludwig Lowe .
    Most sheriff's badges are of the same design, 6 pointed star, this symbol may have nothing to do with being from Israel or with being Jewish but everyone seems jumps to that conclusion.
    I thought my Star Model PS pistol had one on it but it's an 8 pointed star so I guess it can't be Jewish.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have a cigarette roller that was antique when given to me 40 years ago. Stamped into the front of the case is a small six pointed star but not in the same two triangles form as the Star of David. It most resembles the Arab six pointed star found on the Egyptian and Syrian flags.

Boolit Master
    I recently got a copy of Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Robert Ball. Tons of info on Mausers from everywhere - I'll be looking for an Ethopian and a Latvian Mauser to add to my collection. Just kidding. Every country had a Mauser version.
    The stars are mentioned in a few places but there's no definitive answer to their origins. The Israel crest is mentioned on the Israeli Model 98K Short Rifle.
    In the G98 section, there's this paragraph: "Stern or "Star" marked G98 rifles: these rifles were marked with a star on the upper front portion of the receiver ring to indicate that one or more parts used in the manufacture of the rifle were manufactured by small firms other than state armories...There were two different types of star markings used."

There's photos of the 1893 Spanish model that show the stars but no explanation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast