Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best grinder for deer and hog processing

Vendor Sponsor

What is the Best grinder for deer and hog processing

Ok so looks like I am going to have to start processing my wild hog kills
    Because of some new food handling laws all our local processors are quitting processing wild hogs
    so if you needed a grinder for burger and sausage what would you buy and why ?

Oh and a cuber for cube steaks
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 11-29-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Vendor Sponsor

anyone have this grinder .. if so thoughts , negatives

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ref=prd1843506

Boolit Master

I have a grinder from Cabela's that looks very similar. I think I paid about $60 for it about 6 years ago. Some special sale they had. Mine is 400 watt so power is similar. I wasn't going to pay a lot to grind burger from a couple of deer a year. It works just fine, not blazing fast but still the easiest part of the butchering job. One year I ground four deer with on problems. Unless you are going to do a dozen deer or more for all your friends & relatives, I wouldn't waste my money on those big ones they offer.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/STX-Internati.../dp/B0012KJBR0

I've used it about a dozen times, and am very happy with it. Very easy to assemble, disassemble, and clean. Seems to power through whatever I've thrown at it.

It was $124 a couple of months ago but currently at $154, which is still less than I paid.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I use a LEM. I have the smaller one, .035 HP. I've used it for several yrs now processing at least a couple deer a yr with it. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the .5 HP.
    http://www.lemproducts.com/category/...SACEgLGVPD_BwE
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Same as Down South, I have the .35HP LEM. Bought mine as a factory refurb in about 2003 and have processed 2-5 deer per year ever since. We normally save just the back strap and everything else from the ears to the shanks gets ground. All I've ever done is replaced blades and added an O-ring to keep the blade tight against the plate as the worm gear developed a little slack from use. Will buy another LEM if this one wears out.

Boolit Master

I have one similar, maybe smaller. Had it about 20 years. New york whitetails, 1-2 deers per year, still works as new. It is tedious (small), lots of chunking and poking but it gets it done

I would say you couldn't go wrong with an LEM. I have one of their jerky cannons and it is extremely well-made

Boolit Buddy
    It's nice to have the sausage stuffer parts. Especially if your doing hogs.

Banned

I got a small Waring a few years ago from a neighbor who wasn't using it. I process one or two a year (two this year and most years two). It works, but is slow, only grinds small quantities at a time.

Before I got that, I used a hand crank one I got at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. The hand crank one actually works quite well, but is also slow, slower than the little Waring because you can't feed pieces into it and crank at the same time.

Boolit Buddy
    i love my LEM #12. It's 3/4 horse and will grind bones and goes thru frozen meat like butter. Cabela's grinders are made by Weston
    Domari Nolo

Banned

ive got a Weston #32. It might be a bit of an overkill if your only processing a couple deer but compared to my old #8 lem its an animal. I was torn between this Weston and a new 32 lem. Went to a butcher store and looked at both. What made my mind up was that the Weston weighted a good 10lbs more then the lem. figured it must be built stouter. I know it is HEAVY and will grind anything as fast as you stick it in the hole. What is a pain with the under #22 sized grinders is when you have to do a second grind on meat like for summer sausage. Trying to push ground meat though a second time is a pain! With a bigger one its a breeze. I think this thing would grind a whole deer hide bone and all if you stuck it in the hole. Used to me with my #8 processing and stuffing 25 lbs of summer sausage was about a 3 hour job. This big grinder knocks at least an hour off that time and just makes it a much more fun process. I think if I was going to buy new again today though id look at a #22. This 32 is so heavy its almost a pain to lift onto the counter. I has to go north of 75lbs.

Banned
    My daughter and son-in-law bring home a lot of game, they upgraded to the 3/4 hp from Cabelas with the sausage stuffer and are really happy with it.

Wait for a sale and buy some gift certificates @ up to 14% off @ raise.com and save twice as much.

I'm very fortunate to have a commercial Hobart Grinder and a Hobart Cuber. My brother and I bought these at an auction years ago for pennies on the dollar. These things make the job extremely easy. We were extremely fortunate to find them.

Boolit Bub
    Smoke4320, I have that model and no complaints but I would recommend bumping up the size .75 hp. won't hurt a thing.
    ohshooter

Vendor Sponsor

Grmps thanks for the tip on raise.com

It was a little aggravating getting setup with them .. Their site seems to only work well with google chrome
    a couple of phone calls, a ridiculous verification process but finally got setup
    got a $5.00 off coupon before checkout and another $5.00 for the second phone call

the redeeming process was smooth..

Cabelas allowed me to use 5 Raise gift cards and with the extra $10.00 from Raise I saved $24.00 on a $149.00 purchase and got free shipping on a product that was on sale for nearly 50% off to begin with (original price was $239.00 plus tax)

again Thanks

Banned
    You are most welcome Smoke

I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Always happy to help a fellow CB member.

Moderator Emeritus

I have an 8 year old one h.p. Cabelas special and it has never missed a lick. It is strong does 15 to 18 lbs per minute and weighs a ton.....love it......Last year I bought a Cabela's stuffer and it made making brats sooooo much easier....hope this helps......Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    I have an 8 year old one h.p. Cabelas special and it has never missed a lick. It is strong does 15 to 18 lbs per minute and weighs a ton.....love it......Last year I bought a Cabela's stuffer and it made making brats sooooo much easier....hope this helps......Paul
    Paul, I have had that model for about that long as well. Bought it on a 25% off deal but still almost had a heart attack at the price. I process 4-6 deer and a hog or two every year and wow has that grinder earned its keep. I also have had a Cabelas stuffer for about 5 years and it works but I’m not as fond of it as it has its quirks. Remember, quality tools last a long time.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip View Post
    I'm very fortunate to have a commercial Hobart Grinder and a Hobart Cuber. My brother and I bought these at an auction years ago for pennies on the dollar. These things make the job extremely easy. We were extremely fortunate to find them.
    Jealous! I make a ton of jerky every year and I'd kill to have a Hobart deli slicer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast