Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Homemade FBI Load - Very Satisfying! (also XTP results for 380 and 9mm)

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar

Homemade FBI Load - Very Satisfying! (also XTP results for 380 and 9mm)

I'm sure there are hobbies I could pursue that would be more beneficial to my family or to mankind, but perfecting the FBI Load sure is a fun one!

Here is the latest from Low Budget Ammo Labs:

Miha's 358429 HP: stick-on wheel weight; 162 grains; Red Carnauba lube; .358
    4.4 grains Red Dot
    Old Taurus 66 with 3" barrel
    average velocity 886 fps low 865 high 910
    (FBI's average velocity for Remington load in 1989 for 3" barrel was 871)
    shot through 2 layers denim (old jeans) into drained wet paper (old church bulletins)
    penetration 6" (estimated 14-15" in gel)
    expansion .6"

Why 4.4 grains Red Dot? Average 825 fps with low of 796 fps from 2" Detective Special and average 945 fps with high of 966 fps from 6" Model 19 match almost perfectly the range in which the bullet will expand but not come apart. 5.4 grains Unique is a little faster, on average, but 6" goes fast enough (high of 1038 fps) for bullet to come apart. For anyone who is not using that long of a barrel, 4.5 grains Red Dot or 5.4 grains Unique would be a little better, I think.

In the next phase of testing, I hope to find out what load of Bullseye gives similar velocities.

P.S. XTP at 850 fps is about the best you can squeeze out of a pocket .380; not too shabby, but distinctly inferior to 9mm or 38 Special.
    P.S. Simple regular-pressure 9mm load with inexpensive Hornady bullet produces impressive result. I prefer 38 Special and 357 Magnum, but I am NOT a 9mm basher!
    P.S. All three of these Taurus guns were bought very cheap used and perform very well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBI_Load_vs_9mm_XTP_vs_380_XTP.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	208666
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Master
    Nice write up, been thinking of building some practice FBI loads for range work, this sounds like a great place to start.

Thanks for your efforts, 30cf.

That 9mm load corresponds very well with the Hodgdon data site. I really like the way it turned out.
    I have a Springfield Armory XD-E with a 3.3 inch barrel. It should duplicate your results.

Boolit Master

In the next phase of testing, I hope to find out what load of Bullseye gives similar velocities.
    In the .38 spl, RD and BE pretty much same same as far as pressure and velocity with the same load.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    May want to review the charge weight of Red Dot being used if this is in 38 Special. Peruse some recent loading manuals and try to figure out where you are. In terms of advisability, that is.

Penetration in newsprint is half that of gelatin so your load would do 12” in gel. This happens to be about what the “FBI Load” does when the bullet expands decently, so in that respect you are duplicating things.

A bit of a hint at what I am getting at in the first paragraph..... no recent loading manual sanctions that much Red Dot behind a bullet of that weight, even in Plus P loads. It would be okay in 357 chambered guns but I would discontinue its use in 38 Special chambers.

35r, you are right, of course. Larry Gibson and Glen Fryxell have both written up 4.5 grains for a +P load as an alternative to 5.4 grains Unique, which is also above current Alliant data. I do not use or recommend those loads on a regular basis in 38 Special guns. But they get the necessary performance for a carry load.

Boolit Grand Master
    No doubt they get it done, but the commentary was nonetheless needed for those who may be unaware.

For equivalent velocities at more acceptable pressures other powders are available. For instance, 5.3 to 5.4 grains Unique is found in recent loading manuals with a 158 as a Plus P load, whereas 4.4-4.5 grains Red Dot is over listed charges for Plus P.

Alternatives are good.
    Last edited by 35remington; 11-29-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Watching this thread. thanks for your work.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nice work! FYI, 6.0 grains of Accurate no. 5 will duplicate this performance out of my S&W 10-5 and is a published +P load.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

In Remembrance

I`ve been a strong supporter of Red Dot powder since the 1960`s. From shotguns and all my various handgun loadings I trust RD. The duplication of the old factory .45 LC round is a 255 gr. boolet and 6.5 gr. of the newer RD for a little less than 900 FPS. Good test write up.Robert

Boolit Master
    If you want true FBI loads, then you want to use a slower burn rate powder than Red Dot. I have played around with Unique, AA#5, and HS-6, and HS-6 is the best.

7.0gr HS-6 @ 940fps from a 2.5 inch snubbie on the right.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Very good written up, thank you made me think that all my 38/357 pet loads have been somfor years and years and maybe it's time to experiment again and see what else is out there .

I have had some good results over the past year with the new BE-86, but I haven't tried it in the FBI Load. Alliant lists 5.7 grains as the max, and forrest posts good velocities with that load. So I loaded ten with that charge, and I hope to test them next week.