WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 carbine prices

Boolit Master

M1 carbine prices

Wow, it's been a while since I looked at m1 carbines. Last one I had, I think I paid $400 for it. My local gun shop has a nice looking original Winchester with a price tag of $1050. I would really like to find a Rockola and willing to pay a fair price, but I don't even see any on GunBroker to get an idea what they are going for. My other thought is what's going to happen if cmp gets those mythical carbines that have been rumored for years? Do you think prices would drop if that ever happens? I suspect that they won't because Garand prices have gone higher even though cmp keeps selling them.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Super Moderator

I paid $450 for the last ones I got from the CMP. I got a couple of the Italian returns, one Inland and one Underwood. Both common makes, compared to some of the others. I believe that they did have some Rockola models at that time, but if memory serves me they were only sold at auction and went for some big bucks. Most carbines were overhauled at some point so they will be mix-masters. My Inland has a Rockola handguard on it. If you do happen to find an all original Rockola, be prepared to shell out a small fortune.

When I had my ffl back in the early 90’s I was buying imports for $139. Wish I would have stashed a dozen away.

I follow the internet auctions to stay up on prices, and lately the more common make carbines in average condition seem to sell right around $750.

Boolit Master

unless you just stumble onto one, a rockola will run $1400 and up, quite a ways up for real nice.

CMP store or auction site had none last week.....I see commercial models in the $500 area. Around $950 is going rate around here for ww2 gun.....rockolas bring more for some reason.....

What about the value of a Howa M1 carbine? My wife has the factory sporter model but I've never seen another or the military version for sale any where.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I paid $19.50 for mine, of course that was a long time ago. It looked as though it was never used. I wish I had kept it. The other members of my family still have the ones they got.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Prices are for the most part shooters/rearsenals run $900+ if it's of the less manufactured it goes up from there. Anything remotely "correct" or original be prepared.

Boolit Master
    I paid $500 plus tax for a 1943 Saginaw gear that was a Blue Sky return from South Korea. Stock had some cracks and got lucky few aisles over where a nice lady had one of the birch or beech stocks complete with handguard. Even bought a book detailing the various markings and what was on original carbines. Has a Winchester barrel and definitely a mixmaster. Get about 4" at 100 yds which is about as good as it gets. Bought a few of the South Korean 30 round mags and they work without a hitch. Frank

Boolit Master
    gopher,

I got two M1 Carbines in 1965 for $17.50 each, plus $2.50 shipping from DCM.

I still have both with the paperwork. I was in the USAF at the time and our issue arm was the M1 Carbine.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Hey Adam, want to make 10X your money back on those? LOL. Times sure have changed. Of course in 1965 a dollar would buy a lot more than today.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned

I bought one from a buddy of my dad sitting in the bar one Saturday morning back in 69. He said 50 bucks and all I had was 45. He agreed and came back in the bar with a case that had tow in it. Hes said the wood was a bit beat up on the second one so hed throw it in for free Also came with 12 15 round mags and 4 boxes of ball ammo. Short time later I sold the beat up one for what I thought made me the salesman of the century for the 50 bucks I had invested in the two.

In 1963, my dad signed me up as a life member in the NRA so that he could buy a M1 carbine through the DCM (now the CMP). He paid $17.50 for the Rockola carbine and $2.50 for shipping. I still have the original paperwork. He then bought a case of LC'52 ammo for $.02 per round. What great times we had together plinking with that carbine on the family farm in Wisconsin. Dad and the farm are long gone, but the carbine and some of that ammo are still here. Not that I would ever part with that carbine, but I would estimate it's value at $1,200.00, as I have taken good care of it through the years,and it has the original papers. The Winchester and Saginaw SG carbines I purchased later in life I value at $1,000.00 -$1,100.00. M1 carbines are a good investment and just fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    The value, not just the price, of the all original GI issue carbines is why I'd rather have a beater that still functions well and the value wouldn't be adversely affected by replacing parts or glass bedding etc.

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up a 6.2 million Underwood built in April of '44 for $1050 from the CMP forums. That is in the typical price range on the CMP forums, $950 to $1250, which is much better than any price I've found locally. Simpson LTD had the best prices I've found online, but they started in that same range.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    The value, not just the price, of the all original GI issue carbines is why I'd rather have a beater that still functions well and the value wouldn't be adversely affected by replacing parts or glass bedding etc.
    It makes no sense to me. I can purchase two new AR’s for the price of a beater carbine. But of course the carbine has less accuracy and a shorter range to go with the nostalgia factor. Then there is the issue with scope mounting. Yet the carbine is light and handy. It is a balance of pluses and minuses.

I yearned for a carbine for a while. But it made no sense in the end.
    Don Verna

Dverna- the carbine will seduce you. ARs are boring (I have 3) the M1 carbines value just goes up.
    And they are SO much fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It makes no sense to me. I can purchase two new AR’s for the price of a beater carbine. But of course the carbine has less accuracy and a shorter range to go with the nostalgia factor. Then there is the issue with scope mounting. Yet the carbine is light and handy. It is a balance of pluses and minuses.

I yearned for a carbine for a while. But it made no sense in the end.
    the carbines are collectible, and thats the reason for the $$$$.

Plastic and aluminum play toy vs. a wood and steel piece of history. AR's are a dime a dozen, there will be no more original M-1 Carbines. Value is relative.

With all the $20 or less Carbines mentioned here, I guess I overpaid, $75, for my bring back Underwood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast